AFL Player #20: Peter "Litre" Wright 🏅 - Pleads guilty at tribunal, 4 week suspension - 26/3

Remove this Banner Ad

What I was really pleased with was that he went back and slotted two set shots after that incident instead of letting all the numpty Sydney supporters get to him and completely lose confidence which is what I was expecting.

Even just the action from Pete is huge for him, he's always criticized for not going hard at the ball. Such a shame this happened, as the mental game is so big for him. Hopefully some strong coaching happens to help him through this as it will have an effect on him.

I don't have a problem with what he did in this contest, I also don't have the energy to be angry with him getting suspended if that's the way the AFL want to go with it.

I like all the BS about him leaving the ground, from here on out all marking contests must have at least one foot firmly planted on the ground. If 2MP was late to the contest this is obviously a very different story but they hit the ball at the same time, the reckless act is from the player coming back with the flight, it is also why it is seen as courageous to take marks going back with the flight, the player running at the ball can and does have every right to protect themselves, the player going back with the flight is leaving themselves wide open and is a consequence of running back with the flight
Come on mate, the duty of care only resides with the player that isn't concussed!

(sarcasm)

Even just the action from Pete is huge for him, he's always criticized for not going hard at the ball. Such a shame this happened, as the mental game is so big for him. Hopefully some strong coaching happens to help him through this as it will have an effect on him.

I don't have a problem with what he did in this contest, I also don't have the energy to be angry with him getting suspended if that's the way the AFL want to go with it.
He went hard at the ball because he had no idea Cunningham was there until a microsecond before impact.

s**t outcome for Cunningham, but I feel for 2MP as I suspect he's a bit of a sensitive soul and looked pretty upset.

He went hard at the ball because he had no idea Cunningham was there until a microsecond before impact.

s**t outcome for Cunningham, but I feel for 2MP as I suspect he's a bit of a sensitive soul and looked pretty upset.

Yeah and I'd hope that he does the same thing for every contest going forward.

This isn't a change the behaviour suspension for mine. It's a "someone got knocked out" ok make an example to show we don't like concussion suspension.

I feel badly for Cunningham, but I don't see it as any intent to harm, where as the Maynard one I believe he wanted to hit him (not knock him out).

He’s too nice The Big Man,I’ve been dying for him to do something like this. Will his good clean record come into it ? Helping old ladies across the street ? Getting things from the top shelf when asked ? Coaxing kittens out of trees ? That’s our man, he’s too bloody nice. Set him free tribunal.
( will get two)

“Initially, and I still think to this point, he had every right to attack the football,” Gabelich told SEN’s Crunch Time.
“He left the ground, and when he left the ground, he had intention still to mark the football.
“When he braced for impact to protect himself, that was a reflex, so he didn’t incur any more injuries.
“I don’t think there was any point that he thought ‘I’m gonna knock this guy out, I’m gonna make him earn it’.
“I think it was a collision that happens in football

The sensitivity of recent times has nearly ruined the game as with most things in society. This is because usually when things are implemented with good intentions, the overly sensitive nature of today's world will push it to extremities while disregarding context in an attempt to preemptively save face rather than properly and fairly address a matter at hand.

The sensitivity of recent times has nearly ruined the game as with most things in society. This is because usually when things are implemented with good intentions, the overly sensitive nature of today's world will push it to extremities while disregarding context in an attempt to preemptively save face rather than properly and fairly address a matter at hand.

And you take a deep breath and ask, does a one off concussion have anything to do with CTE? Assuming, of course the recovery is managed properly.

Former players getting dementia in their 40s and 50s is probably a pretty good reason for the league to take it very seriously. They are absolutely right to crack down on conduct that might lead to concussions, it’s just a very hard thing to police to everybody’s satisfaction

Former players getting dementia in their 40s and 50s is probably a pretty good reason for the league to take it very seriously. They are absolutely right to crack down on conduct that might lead to concussions, it’s just a very hard thing to police to everybody’s satisfaction
I guess:
a) correlation does = causation; and
b) anecdotes do = data.

This is purely about retribution.

Something bad happens so someone else must suffer irrespective of whether they had ill intent or that their suffering could incentivise any improvement on other people's future behaviour.

Appalling. But what you expect now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

unpopular opinion but talk is always about platers duty off care, does the extended coverage show Cunningham aware 2MP was coming and continued on that path with little regard too his own safety?

How is this different, in terms of duty of care, to the two Saints players head clash which resulted in Mason Wood's concussion - a far worse injury than Cunningham's? Both players off their feet both going for the ball. Do players only owe a duty of care to opposition players?

It is a tough one, I really don’t know what the answer is with these sort of collisions.

The same incident - two players on a collision course going for the ball - BUT with the ball on the ground… we seem to have largely solved. It started out with the AFL suspending anybody who collected anyone in the head - which I maintain is a flawed approach. The fault in that situation is on the player who leads with his head and and gets taken out. It shat me to tears for many years… Selwood was the main offender, the bloke simply cannoned into ground ball contests… leading with his head. It’d get taken out and the other guy would get suspended while we all had to listen to how incredibly brave Joel was. Well yes he was a tough player, he was also stupidly reckless and refused to protect himself.

That seems to have worked itself out. Two players on a collision course for a ground ball now turn their bodies and hit the contest side on. Which is the best outcome as nobody’s head is in danger.

This is similar, but with the ball in the air.

How should it be looked at? In the strictest and most traditional sense, it’s Cunningham’s fault that he got knocked out. Two players attacked a contest and only one of them chose not to protect himself.

But that was pretty much required for him to get the ball. And that’s what we laud in football - “putting yourself on the line” - Cunningham did that, sacrificing his own wellbeing to stop Wright getting the ball and maybe going on to score a goal.

Really, Cunningham’s only other option was to pull out of the contest, which we do not accept.

So even though it was Cunningham’s fault, it was done with the most laudable football intentions. For 100+ years, all fair, well done, ridiculously brave, bad luck, everybody gets on with it and Wright doesn’t face any problems because he was merely protecting himself in the contest.

That doesn’t wash any more.

What were Wright’s options? Hard to know if he had any given we’re talking milliseconds. Obviously first and foremost he’s going for the ball, at what point does he consciously realise he’s not getting it and instead brace for contact? There probably isn’t a conscious decision, it’s all so quick.

What else can he do? I guess he can attack the contest with venom but instead attempt to get low. Broken ribs, punctured lung for Cunningham, which appears to be the preferred option.

Or he can pull out entirely, which we won’t accept.

Really, the only true way to get rid of these collisions is to make it “black and white” illegal to make contact with any player who is in the air going for a mark. Players won’t do it and will actively pull out of contests. We obviously won’t accept that.
Maybe we might start seeing players pulling out entirely.

Maybe we might start seeing players pulling out entirely.
Logical conclusion. Pardon the pun but we are definitely on a collision course between CTE and 100 years of coach’s orders to fill space and put your body on the line

The weird thing with the Wright one was the way he instinctively turned towards contact rather than away. Maybe the result would have been the same.

Still feel like he could have and should have just tried to tuck up and chest mark

unpopular opinion but talk is always about platers duty off care, does the extended coverage show Cunningham aware 2MP was coming and continued on that path with little regard too his own safety?

Totally, see my post right before the one you quoted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To avoid suspension Wright needed to either be badly injured or to tuck himself up so he was all elbows and knees and go straight at the footy, attempting to chest mark

Cunningham would still be in hospital if Wright had done that but there would have been no suspension
he was going for a chest mark, that is why his last second brace looks so bad.

perhaps the long term solution is to ban the sort of action that the Sydney player made.

1.Wright was leading and a team mate passed to him.
2. Wright needs to move at speed to beat his opponent to the ball.
3. Sydney player see ball and thinks he can get to it before Wright.
4. Sydney player bravely runs towards Wright and causes impact.
5.Both players moving at speed without having looked at each other and car crash occurs.
6. Wright looks worse because he was shaped to take a make between chest and waist.

I understand why they want to suspend Wright.

1.It feels unfair that Sydney are down a player.
2. There are countless serious lawsuits based on head injuries.
3.Brayshaw was retired by a late hit that was actually intentional by Maynard ladt year.
4. It looks terrible.

So as a law maker what do you do that will sustainability change players behaviour? I note a contest between Gresham and Sydney defender where both went low and turned to avoid contact, where 20 years ago it was an opportunity to end a guy.

You cant stop forwards leading for the ball, or team mates kicking in front of the lead.

You can stop a forward running into someone who is in your way when you start leading ... but how do you stop someone who has run into your space while youre watching the ball?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back