AFL Player #20: Peter "Litre" Wright 🏅 - Pleads guilty at tribunal, 4 week suspension - 26/3

Remove this Banner Ad

Protect yourself, it's that simple. Every time they try to write rules around protection they increase the risk taking.

I've said the same thing about picking the ball up off the deck. Players just keep going lower and lower, because they knew high contact would draw a free, to the point they had to write rules about sliding in and taking legs out.

I’ve addressed this earlier that the right-of-way encourages players to go back with the flight to draw free kicks. The better option is to make front-on contact a free no matter if your eyes are on the ball or not. That way players will think twice about being suicidal.
Maybe Wright should have got a free kick for front-on contact?

100% Yoda, there will be alot of players missing games if this is the benchmark..

Surely there's room for accidental contact and whilst I'm on this is there provision for lenient sentences due to a player having a good record anymore ?
Funniest part of this carry on (from Cunningham supporters) is that 2MP went out of his way to hurt Harry. Like 2MP who was run out of Gold Coast for his lack of aggression has some **** in him to actually go out of his way to hurt an opponent.

Maybe Wright should have got a free kick for front-on contact?
No. I’m talking about changing the overall instinctive thinking of footballers to prevent situations like this arising. Players going back with the flight should be less common than it is. Despite the fact that I love the spectacle of courage displayed it’s definitely dangerous and if they have to think twice about doing it then it’s a way forward in the CTE debate.

How is this different, in terms of duty of care, to the two Saints players head clash which resulted in Mason Wood's concussion - a far worse injury than Cunningham's? Both players off their feet both going for the ball. Do players only owe a duty of care to opposition players?
Fair call out
Why is the accountability diminished if its your teammate.

This is what I think too.
He might take the 4 before they try to nail him to a cross ✝️ though
I mentioned earlier that this will be a s**t show, but I undersold it.
Geez some people can go on...
It's Peter Wright, not Ronnie Andrews ya *******s!
Then arises monday to play next week.
I like the strategy

Not than I’m a fan, but came across a Wayne Carey feed in tik tok where he comes out very strongly in support of Wright.
waynecareytruthhurts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not than I’m a fan, but came across a Wayne Carey feed in tik tok where he comes out very strongly in support of Wright.
waynecareytruthhurts
Eddie McGuire was also hugely in favor of wright and made some great points
I’m loving all the opposition fan discourse, can’t wait til one of their players cop this unfortunate scenerio

I think this is blown way out of proportions given the clear intent to protect himself while going for the ball.

A referral straight to the tribunal makes it seem worse than what it is. It's a contact sport and accidents happen.
Severe v high was line ball.
Given the attempt to engineer the siciliy outcome last week and Christians track record, im not surprised its where it is.

Eddie McGuire was also hugely in favor of wright and made some great points
I’m loving all the opposition fan discourse, can’t wait til one of their players cop this unfortunate scenerio
Half of me wants him to get off for the melts.
Other half wouldnt mind my boy caddy getting a chance

Is the club going to fight hard? Wright was running straight to the ball and Cunningham was the one running and angle and cut in front of him. The opposition booing him all night definitely has an influence on public reaction to the event.
Don't think they'll announce anything about it but you'd expect they'd fight as best they can. having 2MP in the side for an extra week could be a deciding factor at the end of the season.

I think he was aiming to mark the ball but miscalculated how close he'd get to it to then realizing it was lower than 2m and needed to chest mark it, to then realizing that it was too late and since his arms were lowered for a chest mark it was already in a position to brace.

Also if you look at this angle you can see him push out an arm in a split second attempt to soften the blow/impact to/from Cunningham by applying an open hand against his body but wasn't enough.

656.png

Unfortunately even though it's clearly an isolated incident with no ill intent as it would be in any other match I think he may ultimately fall victim to the edge stuff which is sad for him and for the overly sensitive nature of the competition.

Protect yourself, it's that simple.
An old WAFL player told me the same thing - he said a few decades back when the ball went over your head you turned around and prepared to crumb rather than run back with the flight - that was abnormal. Hobbs last year who isn't without courage was running with the flight then stopped himself. Lucky he did because he could still be in a trauma unit as Oscar McInerney was coming through full tilt with a high knee. It was a smart thing to stop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back