Opinion 2012 draft thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing sadder than talking to guys in their 30s, crying into there beer how they were better junior footballers than someone like a Brett Ratten. Have sympathy for them when it is a result of an injury but not when your dealt a winning hand and mess it up.

There's more to it for some of those 30 somethings. Yes there's many u speak of that don't step up and truly challenge their potentional and ultimately end of could o beens as such.. In Dales case I think pure hard work and possible the absence of booze for a while wouldn't harm things moving fwd, or he may well become a victim of his own doing.. Time will tell..

To my original point - I had the privellege of watching some of the of the most amazing juniour footballers - guys i would have thought would eventually play at afl level. In my yr 9 level there were 4 guys holding down regular 1st 18 spots in a team that was undefeated in the 3 seasons I attended. They won a.g.s.v titles, herald sun titles and the best of interstate would send their teams or we'd go there ( & beat them) To make it in inito that side in year 11 & 12 was the norm & generally unheard for year 9s - these guys were very good. At the start of year 10 only 1 remained. The other 3 were called back to work their parents farms in tough times (1990's recession we had to have) over the sumer break never to be heard of again - had they had 3 more years to compete in a pretty good outfit, (that scouts kept fair attention to) geez who knows what could of been - interestingly Crawf started in 90 the year the others left - to my knowledge strugled & didn't break into the 16As in his 1st yr - however something clicked in 91 & 92 where i believe he was captain of the 1st 18 in both years.

Anyway that's my rant - I too find it hard to feel much sympathy for those who waste opportunies and don't get the best out of thremselves re: footy but I'm pretty sure they're not alone. I know I've been guilty of not applying myself at times - albeit i'm not a proffessional athelete but same sort of result..
It's the ones that have the opportunity taken from them that I really feel for

End rant

(p.s. i know I don't post and alot of what i've written may not pass as relevant as such.. but anyway it's up now.. : ) Hopefully I don't get too savaged ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back