GFL 2012 gfl player movements

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to see the comparison between joeys and grovedale. Joeys missed the finals 4 times in the last 15 years grovedale not been in the finals more than once in that time. Joeys operated on a shoestring for most of that time, no real money spent until Peter Street. Joeys generally lost young players for study reasons or to go to VFL level.

Chill out lads.
To get back on topic.
Who do you think will be the best 2 recruits from each club this year?

The last few posts have been some pretty ordinary, I'll informed posts in my opinion. For starters there is no comparison between Grovedale and St Joeys. St Joeys have the biggest school in Geelong with kids from all over the city to choose from. Grovedale mainly get there kids from the suburb or from Grovey college or Oberon high, so off course we're going to go thru cycles of good juniors and ordinary juniors whereas Joeys should always have good juniors because of the simple fact that they will always have more kids to pick from than other clubs.

It's also some what of a myth about Grovey always having great juniors. I played in 2 u18 grand finals in 2002-2003. In 2002 we were the first side in gfl history to be champion/premiers and in those 2 years I think we only had 2 or 3 players invited down to the falcons. The reason we were so good in my opinion was because we were all great mates from the same school. Majority of the guys from those sides don't even play footy anymore as most of us didn't have the dedication to play senior footy.

I might be biased, but you must be taking the piss saying Burdoo reserve is nothing but a s**t public reserve? I don't think there's many better grounds in the gfl to be honest. Go for a look at the new extension, I'd say Newtown is probably the only better facilities than ours.

Grovedale obviously haven't been very successful over the years, but I don't think we've been as bad as a few other clubs that never seem to get spoken about.

The last few posts have been some pretty ordinary, I'll informed posts in my opinion. For starters there is no comparison between Grovedale and St Joeys. St Joeys have the biggest school in Geelong with kids from all over the city to choose from. Grovedale mainly get there kids from the suburb or from Grovey college or Oberon high, so off course we're going to go thru cycles of good juniors and ordinary juniors whereas Joeys should always have good juniors because of the simple fact that they will always have more kids to pick from than other clubs.

It's also some what of a myth about Grovey always having great juniors. I played in 2 u18 grand finals in 2002-2003. In 2002 we were the first side in gfl history to be champion/premiers and in those 2 years I think we only had 2 or 3 players invited down to the falcons. The reason we were so good in my opinion was because we were all great mates from the same school. Majority of the guys from those sides don't even play footy anymore as most of us didn't have the dedication to play senior footy.

I might be biased, but you must be taking the piss saying Burdoo reserve is nothing but a s**t public reserve? I don't think there's many better grounds in the gfl to be honest. Go for a look at the new extension, I'd say Newtown is probably the only better facilities than ours.

Grovedale obviously haven't been very successful over the years, but I don't think we've been as bad as a few other clubs that never seem to get spoken about.

Couldn't agree more Tim. We are working extremely hard behind the scenes to change the way our club is percieved.

1. Junior set up has been restructured in the last 3-5 years and is very stable with dedicated junior committee and fantastic coaches in place to not only teach the kids how to play but how important it is to be a part of the club and make them feel involved. 2 or 3 of our junior coaches have been coaching at interleague level so they must be ok!

2. Players coming through under 18's have much more involvement with the senior group now so they dont feel anxious about turning up to play senior footy when they graduate. This has been a big plus in keeping young players over the last 2 years.

3. Agree that recruiting is difficult when you are near the bottom of the ladder and haven't got huge $$$ to spend like some more wealthier clubs but it's not through lack of trying i can assure you. We don't offer our young players 'over the odds' money after 1 senior season. If they want to go to lesser leagues for big money it is difficult to compete.

4. Our supporter base is fantastic. We are one of the best supported clubs at home games with terrific crowd numbers. We have been told this by many clubs whose players and coaches can't believe how full our rooms are after each home game. When we actually start winning some games then look out. Maybe it's a good thing that our rooms are being extended!!

Just like every other club in Geelong we have people behind the scenes who do a fantastic job and it sucks when others just get on sites like this and badmouth our club.

As the old saying goes - If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all....

Chill out lads.
To get back on topic.
Who do you think will be the best 2 recruits from each club this year?

Have heard joeys are in line to get star gvl player and 2 time shepparton united premiership player Ryan Normington on board for 2012! Would be a huge get for them if they do!! Any losses at joeys confirmed:D

Prev post was not intended to be demeaning to Grovey, if anything it was stating that although they had not made a lot of finals, their efforts had resulted in the same as St Joeys as far as premierships go, and I figure that is one of the best ways to measure success.

Perception is everything unfortunatley and this makes recruiting hard, why is St Joeys considered a power yet Grovey not so, given neither have won a flag in the last 20 years?

If anything it could be argued that St Joeys are the most underachieving club in Geelong considering the players it has had come through its doors.

The reference that Burdoo is nothing more than a public reserve was wrong, I admit, just blows out there way too much to be a delight to play at, win or lose.

Joeys do source a lot of players from the school but there is no obligation for students to play at the club, the club is independant from the school.

Grovey over the last 25 years have had a pretty big pool to draw from being the only GFL side between Colac Hwy and Torquay effectively, maybe just as many school age footballers there in comp to St Joeys school. I know Grovey compete with Torquay,Belmont, Modewarre etc, but Joeys too compete with St Marys, Bell Park, Newtown and West.

The prev comments mentioned that it would be good for young players to have an education on what the clubs have achieved in the past, how many Grovey players would be aware of the stregnth of the club in the mid 70's? Few I would suggest.

Joeys on a shoestring?? Doubt players of the calibre of Hungerford, McCartin, Atkins, Bowyer, Shaw, OToole, Stewart and more were playing for pittance, dont forget what their only GFL premiership (89) cost!

The other reference is that many young players play for themselves, clubs cant rely on youth to win finals, definatley a place in finals teams for old heads who will do whatever it takes to win.

All just an opinion.:)

I played in 2 u18 grand finals in 2002-2003. In 2002 we were the first side in gfl history to be champion/premiers

Tim I would check the record books before you start sending out your 2012 reunion invites saying "the first team to be Champions/Premiers in GFL U/18 history"..........

Read in the Warrnambool paper today that Geelong West has signed Rhys Raymond from Warrnambool who won the hampden leagues best and fairest this year.
Also St Mary's has signed the captain of Koroit from the hampden league - Isaac Templeton

I played in 2 u18 grand finals in 2002-2003. In 2002 we were the first side in gfl history to be champion/premiers

Tim I would check the record books before you start sending out your 2012 reunion invites saying "the first team to be Champions/Premiers in GFL U/18 history"..........

Sorry if I got it wrong mate, we obviously weren't the first one?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sth Barwon have 2 big names retiring Paul Sullivan and Luke Buckland this will leave a major hole in the sth side

Message for all GFL clubs

I am a midfielder from a WRFL division 1 football club. I will be moving to the Geelong area next year due to university commitments and am looking for a new football club. If any clubs are interested send me a private message and we can discuss further.

Cheers

I am a midfielder from a WRFL division 1 football club. I will be moving to the Geelong area next year due to university commitments and am looking for a new football club. If any clubs are interested send me a private message and we can discuss further.

Cheers

Unless your a midfielder from the vfl mate you'll struggle for a game in any of the top 7. So head to someone in the bottom 5 if your after cash.

I am a midfielder from a WRFL division 1 football club. I will be moving to the Geelong area next year due to university commitments and am looking

You are kidding aren't ya mate? Are you trying to generate some interest in yourself and start a bidding war?? Ain't gonna happen buddy! Why don't you choose a club that appeals to you or you have mates at instead of trying to sell yourself to the highest bidder!

I'm a realist, I don't expect any monetary offers, I am simply looking for a new club. I would ideally love to be staying with my old club but I need to move to geelong for the course I am currently studying at deakin. There are no suspect motives behind anything I am trying to do here, simply a way of trying to get into contact with clubs within the league so I can find a new place to play footy.

Have heard joeys are in line to get star gvl player and 2 time shepparton united premiership player Ryan Normington on board for 2012! Would be a huge get for them if they do!! Any losses at joeys confirmed:D

my brother lives down shepp way and i make the annual journey to watch the afl saturday and gvfl grand final sunday so i have seen this guy play the last 2 and he is a very good player. probably in the best 2 players in my opinion in both the grand finals. he could be the find of 2012

I'm a realist, I don't expect any monetary offers, I am simply looking for a new club. I would ideally love to be staying with my old club but I need to move to geelong for the course I am currently studying at deakin. There are no suspect motives behind anything I am trying to do here, simply a way of trying to get into contact with clubs within the league so I can find a new place to play footy.

I guess i will try to help you out. It depends on what you want from your footy and your ability (which only you can say how good that is). The GFL is a strong league and the top teams are tough to get a gig in. So if you are up to that and want to play finals footy look at clubs like South Barwon, Bell Park and St Josephs.

If you want to go to a club maybe on the rise that has a good chance of playing finals that may be "easier" (i use that term loosly) to get a game try Newtown, Leopold or St Marys.

If you want to go to a strugglling team try, Grovedale, St Albans, West Saints (not a bad side) or Nth Shore.

Its a good league best of luck in the end they are all good clubs i suppose.

My recommendations would be from each group would be South Barwon from the contenders. Lost this years grand final and will be keen to avenge. Are clearly the best club in the Geelong area over the last 6-8 years. Close to Deakin as well. Cant go to wrong going to this club.

Of the up and comers i would say St Marys. Got a new coach who is keen as mustard and good juniors coming through. Recent premiers and perennial finalists. Seem to be a solid club.

Of the rest i would try Grovedale, mainly becasue is is out near Deakin and have pretty good facilities and getting better with an upgrade. Yes they may have not been super successful but seem to have got things back on the right track and are heading in a better direction.

Mind you i have no intimate inside knowledge of any GFL clubs this is a purely outside point of view. I guess it would be prudent to check a few out yourself over pre season.

Im being told that the clubs signing big recruits are Lara and Newtown. Lara have several players committed to play in 2012 and Newtown have a couple but are much bigger names. Hopefully see a rise up the ladder from them to even the comp out

Just out of interest how is the hampden league perceived in geelong??? From other leagues point of view they have become one of the most hated and disrespected leagues around. Who in their right mind would threaten to take the vcfl to court just so they can attempt to expand their competition. Is it not their own fault for the situation they are in???

So what are the teams looking like this year?? Im hearing Grovedale, St Albans and North Shore are not looking up to scratch and will battle it out in the bottom 3...Obviously Bell Park and South are looking good again although both have lost key players which might bring Newtown and Joeys up into the equasion, depending on what The top 2 recruit. And Lara going along very nicely with recruiting. Any other news?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back