GFL 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Does seem to stink a bit of Big Fish vs Little Fish.

If I was Leopold I'd be pretty livid.

In other news, Cain Ackland not a bad pick up for Newtown.

Does seem to stink a bit of Big Fish vs Little Fish.

If I was Leopold I'd be pretty livid.

In other news, Cain Ackland not a bad pick up for Newtown.

Yeh, interesting pickup.

I believe he hasn't played any Footy for a couple of years, still good talls can be worth their weight in gold.

Also good to see more ex AFL players putting on the boots for GFL clubs, only helps to strengthen our competition.

I just witnessed one of THE most woeful displays of umpiring I've seen in 30 years of watching GFL football.

This umpire should be umpiring U/14's not senior Men's football.

Whoever you were young blonde haired umpire in the West Saints/Leopold game, heck right off and go umpire netball because that's how you officiated today, like a netball ref.

I just witnessed one of THE most woeful displays of umpiring I've seen in 30 years of watching GFL football.

This umpire should be umpiring U/14's not senior Men's football.

Whoever you were young blonde haired umpire in the West Saints/Leopold game, **** right off and go umpire netball because that's how you officiated today, like a netball ref.

Way to encourage umpire participation...get out there yourself and do it then.

Way to encourage umpire participation...get out there yourself and do it then.

I didn't choose to be an umpire. If you choose to do it and take the money then at least understand the game.

I'm not going to encourage someone who puts players in danger by not having a clue how to control the game or the rules.

Bit quiet on here.. Does anyone think the top 5 will change between now and round 18? St Mary's look like the only side that could come in but who could they replace?

Anyone want to have a stab at early grand final prediction, biggest improver/disappointment, mathieson medal winner etc?

Earlier on in the season I thought it would be a South Barwon V Lara grand final.
Now I think it is open to anyone in the top 5 at the moment.
And I do think South Barwon are beatable.

I think South Barwon are a shoe in myself. Getting a bit boring this league. Bell Park aren't the same side this year, Joeys have dropped away and Grovedale lack any type of finals experience. Lara lack leg speed on the big grounds and also are undersized down back. South Barwon just too strong as usual.

South will definitely make it I think that's pretty obvious. The rest of the top 4 and probably St Mary's seem pretty evenly matched. I agree with you about grovedales lack of finals experience maybe counting against them this year.

Personally I'd love to see a South vs Grovedale grand final, massive rivals and would draw a big crowd.

Watc
Lara vs Newtown next week should be a great game. Lara back to form today smashing St Mary's at St Mary's.
Watched the 2nd half of that yesterday, Lara look very impressive and were completely dominant across half back, St Mary's turned the ball over every time at CHF with poor Grenville the only one in the fwd line actually having a crack at winning a contest.

Couple of cracking games next week Lara vs newtown and south vs bell park. Watched bell park yesterday and they're probably the most impressive side I've seen this year. It was a cracking game for 3 quarters until bell park smashed grovey in the last quarter and running away with a big. Grovey are missing some big players at the moment which has definitely hurt them in the last few weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

South Barwon will miss Casey Tutungi after just reading about his horrific injuries in the Geelong Advertiser on line.Neck & Spinal injuries from yesterdays match against St Joeys.

Lara V Newtown Lara by 15
Grovedale V Leopold Grovedale by 7
St Josephs V St Albans St Albans by 24
St Barwon V Bellpark Draw
GWSP V St Marys St Marys by 42
North Shore V Colac Colac by 90

What a poor excuse for a paper the Geelong Addy is! Grovedale inflicts South Barwons first loss for the year and their 22 game winning streak and all the addy can come up with is a 25 word paragraph on the match! Also calling it the upset of the season? I wouldn't have thought 3rd beating 1st was the upset of the season considering before Saturday, Grovedale were the only side that had got close to South all season so I'd hardly call it the upset of the season.. It then went on to say Souths bad kicking for goal cost them the game, if the addy had actually bothered to send one of their so called "journalists" out to the game they would've realised that besides a 15 minute patch in the 2nd quarter where grovey could hardly touch the ball, south were second best for the rest of the match and grovey fully deserved the win.

Honestly the way the Geelong addy treats local sport in this region is a disgrace.. I read the border mail, bendigo addy and the ballarat courier and their local sports write ups are 100 times better than the addy. How can the biggest paper in Victoria outside the Melbourne papers only be able to send 1 or 2 reporters to games each weekend ?

What a poor excuse for a paper the Geelong Addy is! Grovedale inflicts South Barwons first loss for the year and their 22 game winning streak and all the addy can come up with is a 25 word paragraph on the match! Also calling it the upset of the season? I wouldn't have thought 3rd beating 1st was the upset of the season considering before Saturday, Grovedale were the only side that had got close to South all season so I'd hardly call it the upset of the season.. It then went on to say Souths bad kicking for goal cost them the game, if the addy had actually bothered to send one of their so called "journalists" out to the game they would've realised that besides a 15 minute patch in the 2nd quarter where grovey could hardly touch the ball, south were second best for the rest of the match and grovey fully deserved the win.

Honestly the way the Geelong addy treats local sport in this region is a disgrace.. I read the border mail, bendigo addy and the ballarat courier and their local sports write ups are 100 times better than the addy. How can the biggest paper in Victoria outside the Melbourne papers only be able to send 1 or 2 reporters to games each weekend ?

Only thing i can think of is that those towns may not have 3 separate leagues playing at once? The other thing is cost cutting - well known around town that the Addy has been struggling for a while, cutting costs and sending labour up to Melbourne. Maybe lack of journo's to cover it?

As for that game, i would call it a huge upset but maybe not unexpected given what South Barwon have been through of late. I still think they will have the edge in September though.

Only thing i can think of is that those towns may not have 3 separate leagues playing at once? The other thing is cost cutting - well known around town that the Addy has been struggling for a while, cutting costs and sending labour up to Melbourne. Maybe lack of journo's to cover it?

As for that game, i would call it a huge upset but maybe not unexpected given what South Barwon have been through of late. I still think they will have the edge in September though.

Border mail covers ovens and murray, ovens and king, tallangatta, hume and murray leagues
Bendigo addy covers bendigo, heathcote, loddon valley and maryborough/castlemaine leagues
Ballarat courier covers ballarat, central highlands and north ballarat roosters

Geelong is a lot bigger than all them cities so surely if they can do such a great job of covering local sport, the addy should at least be able to do the same for our local sport?

South were missing a few on Saturday and it's a great credit to them that they've been able to play as well as they have been with everything that's happened lately. I think that Grovedale actually match up to south better than anyone in the league, but I agree that they're going to be extremely hard to beat at the business end.

Well done Grovedale Football Club..Enjoy a good win against the mighty South Barwon.

First win against south since 2003 with some massive floggings along the way, so it's fair to say there was plenty of happy faces up burdoo on Saturday arvo!

Ballarat and Bendigo don't have a major sporting organisation to cover like Geelong does. Geelong FC will always take up the bulk of space during football season.

We've got three leagues with both football and netball, we've got a lot of soccer teams and the basketball.

Only so much they can cover.

Ballarat and Bendigo don't have a major sporting organisation to cover like Geelong does. Geelong FC will always take up the bulk of space during football season.

We've got three leagues with both football and netball, we've got a lot of soccer teams and the basketball.

Only so much they can cover.

Understand none of the other regional cities have a professional sports team to cover like Geelong FC, but they've all got local football, netball, soccer and basketball leagues and they all get better coverage than local sport around here. Have you seen the coverage gca cricket gets in the addy? It's only marginally better then the coverage done by the independent!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back