English Super League 2013 English Super League Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah, Tyrone Roberts, thanks. I've seen virtually no NRL this season, but he didn't seem all that from what I remember the season before, and Mullen I've never liked as much as some posters here. I agree with you than Dobson is a very accomplished player. I don't see him as a dummy half, though.

As for the WC, I wish I had your confidence! There is much to admire about Kevin Sinfield as a man and a player, but I've often stated my reservations about him here, and they are shared by many in England. And I think it's a shame that Rob Burrow seems no longer to be considered worth a place in an England squad.

In other news, Wigan, this time with Sam Tomkins, were rather easily beaten by the Catalans yesterday. Their season seems to turning to rat-****. If they lose to Hull in the Cup Final next weekend it'll surely be very bad news for their play-off campaign. They've now lost four of their last five games, unheard of for Wigan.

I see Hull KR are buying Kris Keating. Not much of a replacement for Michael Dobson imo. Does KK get a game for the Dogs these days ?

Well Huddersfield clinched the League Leader's Shield with a demolition of Wakefield at the weekend, and it'd be a very partisan fan who begrudge them their trophy, winning the league for the first time since the 30s. Unlike previous seasons, where they've flattered to deceive, this year they've looked good all season. It's nice to see the title going to the town that is the birthplace of our sport. They will rightly be confident going into the play-offs, where Warrington look the team most likely to upset them on current form. Is there a winger in the game better than Joel Monaghan at plucking high balls out the air and scoring? I doubt it, and he scored another stunner this week from a typically pin-point Lee Briers cross-kick.

Wigan never looked like beating Leeds (at Wigan) on Thursday night. Lost their last three home games, and they look a shadow of the side they were when four points clear at the top in June. Skipper O'Loughlin is a big loss, but that can't be an excuse; every side gets injuries, and apart from SO'L they were more or less at full strength. I've said before that I don't rate Blake Green (although he did make one try with a decent break), and Matty Smith had a poor game too. The difference in the kicking game was stark, with the Rhinos having three options in Sinfield, Burrow, and the returning Danny McGuire, all of whom were better than their Wigan counterparts. The Warriors look well off the pace as they approach the business end of the season. By contrast Leeds, who had won it twice from fifth in the last two years, have reached the dizzy heights of third, and they will fear no-one.

Not really, NU, I watched the game. The Giants side was literally nearly all teenagers, several of whom were playing their first Superleague game. If Paul Anderson was bothered, her'd surely have put a few of his top players on the bench in case things started to go wrong, but he didn't. Jarrod Sammut was terrific for the Bulls. Four tries is pretty good for a five-eighth. Or anyone, for that matter.

Elliot Kear was pretty good for the Bulls as well on the wing. Good international quality winger for Wales in the WC as well.
For me that thrashing that the Giants got has got to come with some scars weather they fielded junior players or not. If Huddersfield pick up an injury or two during the finals then all help could break out for the Giants. I hope it doesnt, i'm hoping wither Huddersfield or Catalan take out the title.

Elliot Kear is a decent winger, agreed. Catalans? Come on, they are awful! :) Half the matches I've seen they just seem to lose interest, their discipline is awful, a chip on their shoulders about being unfairly treated by refs...

As a Wigan fan, I wish the Giants well (plus I can't see Wigan winning it).

Superleague Dream Team (all English this year!):

Sam Tomkins (Wigan)
Josh Charnley (Wigan)
Leroy Cudjoe (Huddersfield)
Ben Crooks (Hull FC)
Tom Lineham (Hull FC)
Danny Brough (Huddersfield)
Matty Smith (Wigan)
Jamie Peacock (Leeds)
Shaun Lunt (Huddersfield)
Eorl Crabtree (Huddersfield)
Brett Ferres (Huddersfield)
Danny Kirmond (Wakefield)
Sean O'Loughlin (Wigan

Actually, with the addition of Sam Burgess maybe, I'd be quite happy if that were the England WC side. Of course it won't be anything like that.

Well, some of them are French. As I've mentioned before, they have one shining talent in young full-back Morgan Escare. Beyond that, I don't think they're anything special. I gather prop Remi Casty is going to the Roosters next season.

Last time I saw Fages play he got absolutely splattered (by one of those dirty Catalans! ;)) , and I think he was out for quite some time after that. Also, as Salford have a rich new owner who has virtually bought an entire new team for next season (Rangi Chase, Tim Smith, Gareth Hock amongst others), so he may be surplus to requirements there.

Yeah it was one of his test team mates that knocked him out. From memory he stopped breathing as well and had to given CPR. Fages (pronounced Fa-ges for anyone wondering) has player hooker for both club and country so i don't see to many worries for him at Salford. Dr. Koukash has certainly kept his promises about spending up big on a better squad for next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't see Wigan beat Huddersfield last night, apparently in very wet conditions, and it's just as wet tonight for the Catalans' trip to Hull. Well I was criticising the Dragons upthread, but they look up for this, and have started very well, forcing drop-outs with smart kicks, just the right tactics in the conditions.

Young full-back Jamie Shaul, one of the few Hull players to emerge from the Cup Final with any credit, has just scored a wonderful solo effort, catching a decent bomb ten meters from his own line, and evading tackles to sprint through the cover and outpace everyone.

Well Huddersfield get another chance, I think they play Hull now, as the lowest ranked winners. They have a very poor record for winning games in play-offs, though.

Looks like being a four-game day for me today: Cronulla/Cowboys and Roosters/Manly this morning, followed by Warrington/Leeds and Saints/Hull KR this afternoon. Wolves v Rhinos should be a cracker, after seeing Leeds put Wigan to the sword the other day.

Did you see Warrington/ Leeds, NU? It was a belter! Briers magical once again. But should he have been on the pitch?

I'll be watching the Warrington vs. Leeds match tonight. I've been staying away from any sporting websites or places that would give the score before i watch it on TV tonight :D
I've long been a Lee Briars fan. I really hope he turns out for Wales in the world cup. Briars and Brough are the two best play making stand offs in the world in my opinion besides Thurston, and just in front of Foran.

Did you see the Warrington game in the end, NU? Remarkable game tonight between Huddersfield and Hull. I'll say no more if you guys have it on delay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back