2014/15 NHL Regular Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Super happy with the 3rd and 4th line scoring from the Nucks so far this year. The few additions and possibly the deletion of Kesler, seems to have balanced the squad so we aren't so reliant on the Sedins. Great return to the better end of the tables.

Loston Ruins with 14 goals in their last 10 games :D

Kris Versteeg now has 21 points in 21 games. Rick Nash is the only other left winger in the NHL with more than a point per game average. Jesus christ.

One point separates 1st from 9th in the league.
Bettman's "Plan of Parity" working well this season...

What am I looking at? Am I missing something?

1st - TBL - 37
9th - Flames - 34

Still pretty even. 4 points separates 1st and 11th.

Panthers are 3 points behind Sharks/Bruins despite playing 3 less games.

f
NeedyDishonestEmeraldtreeskink.gif

UncommonSilverFieldspaniel.gif

SoreShockedEnglishsetter.gif

Poetry.

I know I bang on about Versteeg a lot, but here's another amazing stat - Equal 1st with none other then the world's greatest hockey player in Sidney Crosby for points during 5v5, however Versteeg has done it 4 fewer games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loston Ruins with 14 goals in their last 10 games :D

Kris Versteeg now has 21 points in 21 games. Rick Nash is the only other left winger in the NHL with more than a point per game average. Jesus christ.
To be fair.. Daniel is 24 in 25, Zetterberg is 24 in 25 and Foligno is 22 in 23.

(you'll probably wanna skip this post if you aint a nucks fan)

Super happy with the 3rd and 4th line scoring from the Nucks so far this year. The few additions and possibly the deletion of Kesler, seems to have balanced the squad so we aren't so reliant on the Sedins. Great return to the better end of the tables.

To a certain extent, it was expected. I think they could have kept the same roster but changed coaches and seen this happen. iirc, Ddesjardins (and also Johnston) carried a reputation of being anti-dump and chase. It doesn't take a genius to work out a more attacking style will lead to more goals. And the other thing is, some important guys just had rotten luck last year offensively. When you look at the on-ice shooting percentage of last season's team (aka #fancystats), you look at the guys who are above 8%, it's not really the people you want. It's the bottom liners and some D. And you know, the bottom liners weren't playing as much as the bottom liners are this year. If you take the view that over 8% is where it's starts becoming a bit unsustainable, maybe even lucky, then it was wasted a bit. And then at the very bottom you've got two really important guys in Burrows, who was insanely unlucky last season, with what firing over 50 shots at net before scoring and the injures and all, and Edler. I don't think any D has been on ice on for over 1000 minutes and seen his team only shot at 3.63%. The irony of Edler winning the green jacket last season is that it was almost entirely offensively based, despite his rep as an attacking D who can have brain fades in the D zone. We scored like 16 goals last year at even strength with Alex on the ice. You probably won't ever see anything like that again. So yeah, I think a bounce back would have happened even if Torts had stayed, but changing the coach definitely has played a part in more goals from everybody.

But then you get the roster changes, and you know, Tom Sestito not on track to play 77 games helps a helluva lot. We've got a proper fourth line. And one that's getting more than 5 minutes a game and not constantly being in the penalty box and just being totally useless. If you view the fourth line as the Hansen line, then Hansen is legitimately one of the Sedin's top linemates, and while he's got lousy hands, he's still closer to a second liner than a fourth liner around the NHL imo. Last season, Kesler's most common line-mates were Higgins, of course, the Sedins (remember when Torts turned Kesler into a winger? What a world) and then Hansen (although a fit Santorelli would have been that. And man, if we had kept Mike...). So Hansen's not exactly a bad player, he's not somebody who can't put up points or make a line worse just by being on it, and it's a real luxury to have him where he is.

With that said, of the guys on those 3rd and 4th lines, only Kassian has got a positive corsi rating (although that's before this game, Richardson's line had a massive night on that front). So there's still work to be done. I think last season's Booth-Richardson-Kassian line was more dominant in corsi than these guys are, but they didn't get on the score sheet. So clearly getting Kassian back in there will only help things, but I'm not really sure who will go out. Vey's the obvious one except he's really important on the PP. (4 forwards on the first PP unit another improvement over Torts...) They had started trying Kassian on the first PP unit so maybe they'll do that. Matthias was the other one but there's no way he's getting scratched any time soon. Somebody in that group will actually be unlucky to be scratched. That's unimaginable from last season.

I'm not sure what part Kesler leaving plays into all this, but the signing of Vrbata is huge. And not just because of the threat it gives the Twins, it bumps Burrows down to the second, and obviously the second line has been huge. At even strength, I think they've been a bit lucky, scoring a bit more than should be expected, but most of those guys are on the second PP unit which hasn't scored since the first game, so I suppose it cancels out. That line's corsi is over 50% and it ain't Bonino who is driving that. It's Burrows. Who of course hasn't been as unlucky this season as he was last season. We finally got that winger for Kesler except he was gone before Burrows got there.

It's insane that the Canucks are currently in the top 3. With that said, it's not like the Leafs last season or whatever. The fancystats crowd aren't about to declare war on the Canucks. Our corsi is over 50%, our PDO is actually, thanks to lousy goaltending, below the 100 mark. Ryan Miller, who I still think was a poor signing, is now about average in SV% (which is where he's been for most of the last 3-4 seasons) and Lack is probably close to that now thanks to the shutout. Our scoring will probably drop a bit, but our goaltending will probably pick up a bit. The only concerning area is our record in one goal games, it's like seven wins for one SO loss so far, not counting empty netters that make it two goal games. And you might think that's clutch or something but typically they swing back and forth over time, As the Avs are experiencing. Apart from that, everything's looking really good. Then again, last season was looking good until about this time, and then people got injured.

Happy with that effort. Good to see helm scoring goals and Weiss putting up some points.

wtf happened in buffalo / Tampa game

Why are you surprised?

Also Panthers +35 shots against Blue Jackets.

Nice excuse mate :D What's that, 1 win from their last 7 games?

Not an excuse but an observation.

One win in six as it goes.

The American Rivaldo:

GoodCloudyFirecrest.gif

Haha, jesus that's bad but I understand if that was after the abhorrent call against Kane for 'tripping' Prust. Trying to get one back.

Honestly you guys should've just left the ice after allowing Rozival and Smith both score.

10 of our last 12 now :thumbsu: Big test tomorrow against the Preds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back