dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
Different to the over/under rated thread. Pick who will go earlier/later than expected.

Bolter: Connor Menadue
Slider: Paul Ahern

Heard he could slide due to medical reasons.

I hadn't heard that. If that is the case then I hope he slides to our pick at 30 as Cloke only has 3-5yrs left. Some say less but he's quite durable and his dad played a long career, if that's anything to go by.
McKenzie could become the best of the KPF prospects in this draft IMO. He's got less runs on the board than McCartin but he's only recently transitioned from basketball so the upside is huge. His ability to dominate in a major way has been questioned as many use the "man playing against boys" analogy but he'll still be a colossus at AFL level with a few pre seasons completed. If anything, refining his skills whilst expanding his game knowledge, coupled with being finely tuned by a clubs fitness staff will lead to him being extremely dangerous by any standard.
His willingness to lead at the ball even though he's a great contested mark shows he is more than just a brute. His combine times were ridiculous for a 106-108kg player, equal 1st in the 20m sprint iirc. Big vertical leap, an agility test time equal to Bontempelli from last year and a massive set of mits which can only be a good thing in a power forward.
People liken him to Cloke based on his physical presence but from what I've seen I think he looks more like a cross between Fevola and Hawkins in the way he moves and leads at the ball.
If he gets to a team with good development and his medical issue isn't serious or chronic/long term he should become at least a very good key forward with the chance of reaching A grade status.
Of the other talls I love the look of Durdin. He looks to me like he's got some Ben Reid and Jake Carlysle about him. I think if he gets taken anywhere beyond pick #8 which he probably will, he'll be a massive bargain and has massive upside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bolter: Menadue, Langford (athletic types, tall, high upside)
Slider: Wright (???? over AFL role - clubs often don't like to take rucks early, injuries), Smith (poor testing at combine, inconsistent kick), Lamb (off-field issues)

I'm assuming Ahern due to injury ?!
I think because he tore up some games in the National Champs he earned a top 10 if not top 6 rep, but his greater body of work is more like a decent half forward who can produce some classy patches but isn't really as well rounded as some thought.

The talls (Durdin, Lever, Wright and Goddard even Marchbank) as well as other classy mids (Laverde, De Goey, Duggan, Pickett, Weller) probably offer more. Add that to the top 3 plus Moore and you're at 14 picks. Chuck in Langford and Cockatoo and you're getting out towards the end of the first round.

I'd have him right in the middle of that list. I really wouldn't know who I'd prefer. I could see him bolting to pick 7 or sliding to pick 17.

Bolter.
Kyle Langford - will be picked by GC at 8.
Pickett - will be picked by GWS at 4 or 6.
De Goey - will be picked by GWS at 4 or Coll at 5.

Slider.
McCartin - Melbourne will take Lever with their 2nd Pick, McCartin will fall.
Ahern - will probably slide to 20. Could see Carlton picking him as they draft flawed mids with their high picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back