List Mgmt. 2014 - Key Position Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Daz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
These don't come along too often (last one was '06, the Hansen one).

Couldn't have come at a better time for us. Petrie (31) must be a good chance to call it quits at the end of his current contract (ending in 2015). Grima (28) is a year by year proposition. Sadly, one serious injury could be it for him. Thompson (27) hopefully has another 4-5 seasons in him.

As I said, perfect timing. Get a young talented tall in and give him the time he needs to develop without relying on him immediately and putting unfair pressure on. By the time our old guys move on, the young guy(s) should be ready to step in.

Not a lot of late draft steals among the best key forwards in the league. Riewoldt (#1), Roughead (#2), Franklin (#4), Kennedy (#4), Pavlich (#4) Cloke (highly rated FS), Hawkins (highly rated FS), Cameron (highly rated pre-selection), Walker (highly rated NSW scholarship player), J.Riewoldt (#13), Petrie (#23) and Kurt Tippet (#32, basketball convert).

How many KPPs are we talking? I just had a look at 2006, there were bloody heaps - from Gumby at 2 to Westhoff at 71 and another half dozen or more in between.

How many KPPs are we talking? I just had a look at 2006, there were bloody heaps - from Gumby at 2 to Westhoff at 71 and another half dozen or more in between.

I have no idea mate, I don't follow the draft. It's just what I've heard from a couple of people who know what they're on about.

Goldie straight swap for Patton. In all seriousness the thought of another highly rated KPP excites me. I'd be even more excited if Delaney and Curran could sort out their injury problems though so we can get a good look at them
Why would they want Goldy when they've got Mummy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As an alternative, maybe if there's a bit of a tall fetish this year a decent mid could slip through to us. I tend to think that our biggest list gap going forward is class ball carriers who can deliver into 50. When Harvey, Wells and now Dal are gone in the next couple of years we'll be lacking some class to complement our inside mids.

KPPs coming though we'll still have Taz, Maj, Black, Wood up front and Hansen, Tippett, Delaney down back, not to mention Thommo will still be around for a while yet. Geelong jagged Selwood at pick 7 in 2006!

For some reason talented key forwards seem to be very obvious at a young age. More than any other position they are taken early as evidenced by the Daz examples.

Tippett, Petrie and Sam Reid are probably the only ones I can think of who have been taken later than the 1st round and proved themselves capable of holding down a key forward spot. Maybe I'm overlooking somebody.

Westhoff is more a 3rd tall imo and Aaron Black isn't proven just yet.

I'm excepting Fevola because while he was a talent as a spearhead I don't think you could genuinely structure a balanced attack around him. In this era anyway, maybe in the 80s/90s you could've.

KPD I think we're actually ok. We have Grima (precarious with injuries yes), Hansen coming into his prime, Thompson in his prime and for quite a few more years yet, and Delaney and Tippet coming through underneath.

In the forwardline it's a more worrying position. Unfortunately I can't see much more from Petrie after this season (hope I'm wrong) and what a servant he's been. We're left with Tarrant, and Daw as big bodies and Black and Wood as more agile bodies. I think Daw will be a success but let's not put all our eggs in the Sudanese basket just in case. I don't think we should forget about Ben Brown. It's a long shot but I can see a player in there.

I think it's certainly time to draft another Key Position player.

As for who we should draft, probably stick with best available unless it's a one-paced ballwinner unless they have phenomenal footskills.

But we could do with any size flankers, rucks, key position players etc.

If I got to pick, a Daniel Wells type would be nice.

This draft is a little misrepresented.

Yes there's a heap of great KPP talent, but it's mostly right up the pointy end, and not really relevant to us for that reason, arguably the first 4 picks could all be KPP's.

We are likely to have a pick in the 10-18 range, so ideally should be looking at the skinny athletic type KPF's who can take a grab, these are the types that usually go in this range, and are usually the types that do well from this range, as apposed to the big bodied KPF's; Riewoldt, Reid, T.Lynch, Talia, Black types vs the Griffiths, Watson, Vickery, Dawes types.

I also wouldn't shut the door on trading our first pick.

We should have decent ammunition to go hard after an Adam Tomlinson or Kristian Jaksch imo.

Interesting topic of discussion, Curran just hasn't had a chance with his foot problems and they are very, very tough issues to overcome. Petrie took 2-years to come good and he was vey lucky, a lot of athletes are no good once the foot goes.

Right now it looks like Daw, Tarrant, Black and perhaps Wood as a medium-tall is the likely structure post Petrie with very little in the pipeline after that. (Ben Brown aside).

We must find a developing key forward this coming draft, especially if Curran can't get on the park this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back