List Mgmt. 2014 possible delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

There's no doubt that the situation with our ruckmen is less than ideal. Jacobs is a top-grade #1 ruckman. JJ is an acceptable backup, given that he's primarily being selected as a tall forward and Jacobs is doing 80% of the ruck work. Beyond those two, it's a mess...

Gus, Smack & Osborn should probably all be delisted very shortly. That leaves us with 2 ruckmen on our list, no mature backup and no ruckmen in development. We don't even have the option of using Otten to pinch hit in the ruck, because he's going to miss the next 12 months with an ACL injury.

How the club manages this situation will be very telling. Do they have the balls to delist all three players, or will they be forced to retain one of them for "depth"? Can they organise a trade, finding an existing AFL ruckman who is good enough to play in the seniors when required, but happy to spend most (if not all) of his time playing in the SANFL? Does such a player even exist? Can they find a "ready made" ruckman in one of the state leagues (not necessarily the SANFL)? Lots of questions. No real answers.

While I'm not a Graham fan, we are still going to need a back up ruckman. From what I have seen from our SANFL side Graham is about the only guy close to fitting that bill on our list.

Hahaha, now you're scaring me.

Hopefully we will trade one in, or late draft pick of the best state league ruck.

I'd rather a ruck forward fill in that can play other roles when not needed in ruck.

Pretty sure we will find someone to replace him. Whether it be a true ruck , or another ruck/forward.

Last edited:

No our list management and development has failed so now we're more than likely going to have to stick with Graham because we don't have a choice.

Thats like saying "im hungry and ive only got a piece of crap to eat, so im just going to eat the piece of crap instead of maybe finding a plant 5 minutes down the road thats edible"

Thats like saying "im hungry and ive only got a piece of crap to eat, so im just going to eat the piece of crap instead of maybe finding a plant 5 minutes down the road thats edible"

The problem is that we've had 2 years to find or develop something else and we haven't

The problem is that we've had 2 years to find or develop something else and we haven't

Yes, but that was while Graham was still in contract, we were still for some reason hoping Mckernan would finally get it, and we were taking a long shot on Osborne.

Add to that, we didn't have a lot to trade other than players, as we had craps picks to trade.

Our late picks also stopped us picking someone from the draft which last year didn't go deep for big men.

That's where the sanctions have bitten, in the tall department.
We have done very well in the small department considering our predicament.

2 years where we've had no draft picks and no trade bait. Its tough to get much done given the conditions we were put under by the administration.
As someone has mentioned wouldnt mind looking at Nankervis from Sydney. Not gunna get an opportunity there I wouldnt think and is a Fwd/Ruc

Can they find a "ready made" ruckman in one of the state leagues (not necessarily the SANFL)?

Sam Baulderstone, maybe. Would be a rookie chance on any AFL club's list though you would think. Maybe we would even use a late pick considering the space we might have on our list...

I watched the Norwood v Crows today and if we don't pay out Reilly's contract we are idiots. He is done. Even Norwood players were verballing his patheticness.

Pods has to go and become our forward coach or something.

Petrenko is also done, * we have issues, I could go on an on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JPod move to off field role
Rutten, Radar and Porpy all retire
Graham delist
LJ, LT, Petrenko and Smack trade or delist

Cameron and Jake Kelly upgrade

Better the devil you know. ....... It's all break glass in case of emergency stuff. Unless there is serious young talent in the draft that could pinch hit in an emergency.

I reckon he's worth a go. Better than Graham and has upside considering his improvement since dropping 40kg and is still only 22-23ish.

Being serious. As they are all out of contract and not AFL quality. I would delist all of Shaw Thompson Petrenko LJ and Graham. I would also offer up Smack with later draft picks to see if we cant move up a few spots in the draft. Take the hit of Reillys 2015 Contract on this years cap too.
That way all of the dead wood is off our list and we can get time into our next premiership players.

Retire: (3)
Rutten Porp Reilly

Delist: (5)
Shaw Thompson Petrenko LJ Graham

Trade: (2)
Smack - Draft Pick R3
Lyons - Daniel Gorringe (GC)

Promote: (3)
Battersby Kelly and Cameron

Draft: (5)
R1 R2 R3x2 R4
CHB, Outside Mid x 2, CHB, and Ruck

Allows the 2015 Offseason to look like:
Retire: (2)
Thompson JPod
Delist: (2)
Martin CEY

Rhys Stanley as the utility Ruck and draft Darcy Cameron to sit and develop
Saints wont lose Rhys STanley now you wouldnt think.
Theyve put in all the hard work and its finally starting to show.
Would you rather Jenkins or Stanley?

Both have zero to no footy smarts, are athletically gifted, but play like jane. Unless you see stanley as a backup ruckmen that could play with the rumoured 4 interchange

Would you rather Jenkins or Stanley?

Both have zero to no footy smarts, are athletically gifted, but play like jane. Unless you see stanley as a backup ruckmen that could play with the rumoured 4 interchange

Stanley is depth.
Can fill in t CHF/CHB/Ruck if required. Just because we signed him doesnt mean he has to nor should play every week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back