Banter Banter thread Part 1 - Opposition fans welcome - let's have fun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fun fact.

Collingwood's last 2 premiership coaches (both from outside the club) have been replaced by ex-Collingwood captains who both turned the club to s**t in a very short period of time.

One of those former captains played in a premiership though.

No, I'm saying that as a coach, he was not getting the most out of himself

Mick coaches best when he is mad as ****. Before the Naif announcement, he was not as motivated as he was from every day afterwards
You mean after the club bottomed out in the mid '00s & then started on an upward trajectory, which culminated in a premiership a year or 2 before most people (Collingwood supporters included) would have predicted. You carry on as if the team was underachieving in the years prior to 2010, yet they had not long come out of a rebuild.

I guess on the flip side we can safely say that Buckley is getting the most out of himself because he is not a very good coach however as long as Eddie is president, Buckley stays, something the rest of the competition are very pleased about.

One of those former captains played in a premiership though.
And yet hetook over from one of the said premiership coaches & led the team to a wooden spoon.

No-one should ever underestimate the achievement of Leigh Matthews in coaching that 1990 team to a premiership (in fact any coach who achieves premiership success at Collingwood deserves extra credit, because so many have failed in the last 50+ years).

And yet hetook over from one of the said premiership coaches & led the team to a wooden spoon.

No-one should ever underestimate the achievement of Leigh Matthews in coaching that 1990 team to a premiership (in fact any coach who achieves premiership success at Collingwood deserves extra credit, because so many have failed in the last 50+ years).

My comment was really to highlight Buckley's failings than to give any credit to Tony Shaw.

Fun fact.

Collingwood's last 2 premiership coaches (both from outside the club) have been replaced by ex-Collingwood captains who both turned the club to s**t in a very short period of time.

So, "turning to s**t" is missing the Finals once in 10 years?

It's funny to see just how large the gap is in expectations for Collingwood compared to Carlton, and how huge the gulf is when it comes to the definition of failure is at each club

I'm still not sure last year was seen as "turning to s**t" for Carlton.... just as bad start, and some unlucky moments

If only you asked of yourselves, what you seem to expect from/for us

So, "turning to s**t" is missing the Finals once in 10 years?

It's funny to see just how large the gap is in expectations for Collingwood compared to Carlton, and how huge the gulf is when it comes to the definition of failure is at each club

I'm still not sure last year was seen as "turning to s**t" for Carlton.... just as bad start, and some unlucky moments

If only you asked of yourselves, what you seem to expect from/for us

Shawt I cannot disagree with what you state above re Carlton.

I guess for most of us from afar it has just been bizarre to witness a President who is so infatuated by an ex player that he could not bare the thought of him going to another club so he gave him the head coach position and in doing so go rid of a premiership coach. It is unlikely this has happened before nor will it ever happen again. If people want to suggest Buckley was the best credentialed man for the job after an exhaustive interview process then fair enough but most would see it akin to the under 10's father as coach favouring his less than skillful son.

Only history will show with Bucks and I am comfortable in giving him his chance to prove me wrong. Unfortunately so far he has been on a hiding to nothing and things do not bode well. I also think it puts Eddie and by extension Collingwood in a very delicate situation should things go from bad to worse over the next 2 seasons. How do you sack a favourite son and one that the President most likely still has posters of on his bedroom wall?

...... I also think it puts Paul and by extension Essendumb in a very delicate situation should things go from bad to worse over the next 2 weeks. How do you sack a favourite son and one that the President most likely still has posters of on his bedroom wall?

*eFA

The fact that when you messure success, even against Collingwood.. the ledger is even speaks volumes of how far Carlton have fallen

I do love a fun selective date range, to over emphasise a point.

The fact is, you're laughing at us for only winning one flag in the last 5 years

Feels a touch disingenuous, given your current predicament
You've clearly missed the point. You continually tell us how poor our team has been and talk up your own team yet we have both won two flags in 30 years.

Saying I am selective with my date ranges is laughable - I've gone back 20 years then 30...should I go back 57 years to pick up your third last premiership?! Get some depth in your arguments and stop deluding yourself that you are a successful football club. TWO FLAGS IN 50 YEARS...you must be so proud.

Your statement about our 'current predicament' is quite interesting. We have a premiership winning coach, have dramatically changed our list (and culture) and have recruited under 23y.o's to meet our needs. I'm excited about our future.

In the same time you have missed the finals and recruited old hacks like Varcoe, Jessie white and the big Q. But it's ok...you have Nafe! Thats some predicament for you...

We have a premiership winning coach, have dramatically changed our list (and culture) and have recruited under 23y.o's to meet our needs. I'm excited about our future.

In the same time you have missed the finals and recruited old hacks like Varcoe, Jessie white and the big Q. But it's ok...you have Nafe! Thats some predicament for you...

Varcoe is just under 6 years younger than Judd :rolleyes:

We recruited Juddy years ago, so his age is irrelevant now.

When he was what, a year older than Varcoe is now?

There are 11 players on your list that are older than him... two were recent imports

We should have known better right? Again, demanding more of us than you ask of yourselves :)

Shawt I cannot disagree with what you state above re Carlton.

I guess for most of us from afar it has just been bizarre to witness a President who is so infatuated by an ex player that he could not bare the thought of him going to another club so he gave him the head coach position and in doing so go rid of a premiership coach. It is unlikely this has happened before nor will it ever happen again. If people want to suggest Buckley was the best credentialed man for the job after an exhaustive interview process then fair enough but most would see it akin to the under 10's father as coach favouring his less than skillful son.

Only history will show with Bucks and I am comfortable in giving him his chance to prove me wrong. Unfortunately so far he has been on a hiding to nothing and things do not bode well. I also think it puts Eddie and by extension Collingwood in a very delicate situation should things go from bad to worse over the next 2 seasons. How do you sack a favourite son and one that the President most likely still has posters of on his bedroom wall?

Eddie puts Collingwood first

If Nathan is hurting Collingwood, I don't doubt for a moment that he'd do the right thing

I really think you underestimate Eddie's passion for the team above all else. He is pretty well versed in the history of the place, and would know that even the club greats need some help shuffling along from time to time

That time isn't now. With such a young and exciting list being developed, Nathan has made the sacrifices and pushed a longer term plan. He gets the chance to build that now, I think for 2 years before he has to start looking over his shoulder I'd we don't step up

For Nathan to put his ego aside, and take a longer road that sacrifices passable results with little upside, to look to the next generation is not what I, or anyone else expected

Voss and Hird both tried to find shortcuts with their egos raging. For Nathan to be the opposite is actually a good laugh :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When he was what, a year older than Varcoe is now?

There are 11 players on your list that are older than him... two were recent imports

We should have known better right? Again, demanding more of us than you ask of yourselves :)
Thomas turned 26 last season so was 25 when we got him, you cant count him as older because he wasnt when he joined us. Who was the other recent import that was over 25 when we got him?

Judd may have been a year older but was already a Brownlow medal winning Premiership captain.

So are you saying that we will be playing the FILTH in the Grand Final this year.

I don't think so.

105 years it is! :D
It'd be good to play the filth and beat them in the 2015 grand final... would put Eddie Everywhere and his illegitimate love child Nuffin' Buckley back in their box... who knows... we might even see Eddies head explode this year

It'd be good to play the filth and beat them in the 2015 grand final... would put Eddie Everywhere and his illegitimate love child Nuffin' Buckley back in their box... who knows... we might even see Eddies head explode this year

Exhibit A

You are kidding me..."just six years younger than Judd"!! You need professional help..

I'm talking about Judd being old... while you guys are flexing over how well you would do if you were in Grand Finals again

...and I'm the one in la-la land :)

I'm talking about how many years since you last beat us in a Grand Final.

105 years! :D

Actually 1910 sounds better :p

It would be relevant, if you were a side still reaching Grand Finals, instead of the fantasy of playing us in another one

Still, you've for the before time. The long, long ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back