2015 Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we'll hang onto Wilson; he seemed to improve over the last few rounds and Ogilvie said we had taken him a year early.

Given our serious need for pace remain it would seem foolish to cut him after openly stating we'd gone a bit early just to get him on our list.

Another year of development with a full AFL pre-season under his belt will give us a far clearer indication on whether he'll make it.

I'm struggling to see Wright being delisted but who knows what will happen this off-season.

Now that we're getting Hampton into the team I struggle to see how there's a place for MacKay/Jaensch/VB, one of these guys will need to be delisted & paid out.
God I cannot believe MacKay still has 3 years left to go on his contract. It's utter madness. It's a complete waste of salary cap.

It's
Now that we're getting Hampton into the team I struggle to see how there's a place for MacKay/Jaensch/VB, one of these guys will need to be delisted & paid out.
God I cannot believe MacKay still has 3 years left to go on his contract. It's utter madness. It's a complete waste of salary cap.
It's an interesting point , what is VBs contract status ?

Vb is contracted until 2016, MacKay until the end of 2018, Jaench I'm pretty sure is contracted until the end of 2016 as well.

You do realise that he actually has to earn his position in the team ahead of those players? He's not just going to walk into the team and have an existing player dropped for him. Given that he's barely played for GWS this year (5 games, 4 of which were R14-17), he is by no means a certainty to be a walk up starter at Adelaide.

I have no problem with players being dropped if he's actually performing better than they are, but people definitely need to take a chill pill here.

None of the players named are the least bit likely to be delisted this year. Reilly, JPod and Siggins are already gone (or as good as). Martin is almost certain to be the next cab off the rank. After that, it's the expendables - Wright, CEY, Kerridge and Grigg.

You do realise that he actually has to earn his position in the team ahead of those players? He's not just going to walk into the team and have an existing player dropped for him. Given that he's barely played for GWS this year (5 games, 4 of which were R14-17), he is by no means a certainty to be a walk up starter at Adelaide.

I have no problem with players being dropped if he's actually performing better than they are, but people definitely need to take a chill pill here.

None of the players named are the least bit likely to be delisted this year. Reilly, JPod and Siggins are already gone (or as good as). Martin is almost certain to be the next cab off the rank. After that, it's the expendables - Wright, CEY, Kerridge and Grigg.

Van Berlo wouldn't even be getting a game at GWS & I'm not taking the p1ss either, he actually wouldn't be getting a game for them.

Gee, Port haven't done very well when picking their big fella's.
And Butcher survives another year

It's hard to find a good one these days and Port don't want to get rid of theirs.

Gee, Port haven't done very well when picking their big fella's.
And Butcher survives another year

They haven't really given Harvey or Shaw a chance to develop. But they have too many big guys after bringing in Ryder and now Dixon.

I think Harvey, Shaw and Redden will continue on elsewhere. They will try and trade Butcher but delist if that doesn't work.

I'd personally delist, even though it isn't realistic at all:

Reilly
Podsiadly
Siggins
Martin
Van Berlo
Mackay (traded)
Wright (traded or delisted)
Osborn
Kerridge (traded)

8 senior list cuts plus one rookie. We bring in Greenwood onto the Cat B list instead of Osborn. Kelly and O'Brien upgraded, freeing up two rookie spots.

We trade in three players (Hampton, Aish, Menzel) if possible. Then make a further three selections in the draft, and another two in the rookie draft.

Shaw and Lyons lucky to survive but I thought drafting five this year is probably not ideal.

Mackay, Wright and VB cut purely so we don't have to worry about them getting selected ever again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd personally delist, even though it isn't realistic at all:

Reilly
Podsiadly
Siggins
Martin
Van Berlo
Mackay (traded)
Wright (traded or delisted)
Osborn
Kerridge (traded)

8 senior list cuts plus one rookie. We bring in Greenwood onto the Cat B list instead of Osborn. Kelly and O'Brien upgraded, freeing up two rookie spots.

We trade in three players (Hampton, Aish, Menzel) if possible. Then make a further three selections in the draft, and another two in the rookie draft.

Shaw and Lyons lucky to survive but I thought drafting five this year is probably not ideal.

Mackay, Wright and VB cut purely so we don't have to worry about them getting selected ever again.
Throw in Henderson for good measure. One reasonable game can't rewrite 2 years of shite! And Sam Shaw should be at the top of the list... Haven't seen him play a remotely decent game in 3 years and his field kicking is worse than VB or Jenkins

Throw in Henderson for good measure. One reasonable game can't rewrite 2 years of shite! And Sam Shaw should be at the top of the list... Haven't seen him play a remotely decent game in 3 years and his field kicking is worse than VB or Jenkins

Shaw stays only because we need at least two semi-capable backups for our key defenders. Those would be Shaw and Otten. The third backup would be a draftee or young guy.

Why would we delist any of these players? Hampton may prove better than them, but surely Martin gets cut before them. If they fall to depth, that becomes as good a depth as most teams. They are bf whipping boys, but if players better than them get injured at least there is depth. Geez they have been best 22 selections and we made finals. We need to delist lower on the list.

Siggins, Pods, Reilly gone and we are only going to be looking at drafting 1 player in the main draft and 2 rookie upgrades (pending trades for draft picks). I reckon Shaw and Martin have the most to be nervous about.

We're at a point where the list changes are starting to look a bit more obvious.

This isn't all my personal preference by any means, but to me it's looking like the following will happen:

Out:
Reilly (retired)
Podsiadly (retired)
Siggins (delisted)
Martin (delisted)
Kerridge (traded)
Osborn (delisted - Cat B rookie list)
Dangerfield (free agency / trade)

I believe the above are all somewhere between 90 and 100% certainties. Others will argue that Martin might be offered another contract and / or that Kerridge may be retained. Good luck with either of those things taking place. I don't see it. Oh, and I guess there's still some people in the 'Danger is staying' camp too. I don't see it.

Other possibilities include:
Grigg (traded - if Campo has his way, this seems likely)
Ellis-Yolmen (traded - hopefully not FFS)
M Crouch (traded - should only be considered if we're receiving crazy overs in return)
Wright (delisted / traded)
Shaw (delisted / traded)
Otten (delisted / traded)
Ramsey (delisted - rookie list)
Wilson (delisted - rookie list)
Lyons (traded)
Van Berlo (retired)
Henderson (traded)

Important to remember also, are the number of players coming in, or onto, the list next year. Currently, we know the following:

In:
Hampton (trade)
O'Brien (rookie upgrade)
Kelly (rookie upgrade)
Keath (Cat B rookie list)
Greenwood (Cat B rookie list)

Other possibilities (some likely, some remote):
T Menzel (trade - clearly a prime target for us and I'm feeling that it will happen)
Aish (trade - some rumblings but it's nowhere near over the line yet)
Bennell (trade - unlikely but who knows)
Carlisle (trade - unlikely but don't count us out completely just yet)
Redden (trade - hard to tell if we're even interested)
Seedsman (trade - yuck)
M Talia (trade - please don't)
Yarran (trade - you wouldn't think so but stranger things have happened)
No doubt there's 1 or 2 others that the club are sniffing around that we don't know about yet.

Plus you'd think we'd use 3-4 live picks in the draft (3 seems likely to me). 3-4 is also the number of players I expect us to acquire via trade. Something like Hampton, Menzel plus 1-2 players that nobody currently knows about is what I expect.

Just doing some quick maths, my money is therefore on precisely 3 of Kerridge (seems almost a given), Grigg, Wright, Ellis-Yolmen, M Crouch, Lyons, Shaw, Otten, VB and Henderson LEAVING this offseason (via trade, delisting or retirement). Room simply must be made for draftees, rookie upgrades and probably 3 trade acquisitions. It's very interesting because no doubt an argument could be made for retaining every one of these players for one reason or another (I will never understand anyone arguing in favour of keeping Wright, but he played a ridiculous number of games this season so he clearly has some fans within the club)

Kerridge is the only one of those that I'd put money on to leave, but it will be very interesting to see who the other departures are, because there inevitably will be a couple.

So to summarise I'll put my balls on the line and say there'll be 8 changes to our SENIOR list this offseason (for rookie changes, see above). Something resembling:

Out:
Dangerfield
Kerridge
Grigg
Reilly
Podsiadly
Siggins
Martin
Wright (call me an optimist)

In:
Hampton
T Menzel
J Kelly
O'Brien
M Talia (*sigh)
3 x draftees (hoping for 2 picks in the top 20)

Hopefully we can outperform my predictions. Wait and see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back