2015 QFA South

Remove this Banner Ad

Just wondering why Springwood will fall back to the pack this season?
Have they lost a few and not replaced them?

Maybe i should say will fall closer to the pack which could mean 100 point wins might just be 60 points wins haha. I also think there will be improvement from a few other sides now being its the 2nd season in the latest comp format & witnessing the level they have to be at to compete with a side like Springwood. Will find out soon enough i guess.

Just out of interest, if Springwood are that good, why are they in this level of the competition.
Would a relegation and promotion system work same as English Premier League.

What are the drawbacks of that sort of system.

Raz - there is tens of thousands of dollars difference in financial commitment - that's probably the first of a number of reasons why it wouldn't work.

For all the restructures they have had, AFLQ previously haven't been to bad with the promotion and relegation of teams between what is now this league and the league below in the past. Robina / Kedron / Nambour / Wynnum / Cab / Coomera have all been up or down divisions in the last 5 years based on where the clubs have been at.

Stuyd - I don't believe a firm commitment has been made either way to be honest - the bloke is as fit as an ox and could suit up on zero preseason tomorrow. He has only retired 6 times already so even if he doesn't start the year I personally wont believe he's not having a kick anywhere in 2015 until July 1!

looking forward to seeing how springwood look - appreciate they were standouts last year and obviously won both flags but I know a number of players have retired/moved to lower grades. I think the big improver will be the Kings personally. Springwood, Burleigh and Kings top 3 with then Robina, Yeronga and Kenmore to battle out the remaing 2 spots. Cooly to improve, but battle it out with Coomera and Alex to avoid the spoon. No disrespect to anyone at those clubs - just based on what ive heard and seen so far for 2015

Will be interesting to see what their depth is like - would expect to see Ruf playing a lot more senior footy along with a couple of other fringe players who played in the 2's gf.

looking forward to seeing how springwood look - appreciate they were standouts last year and obviously won both flags but I know a number of players have retired/moved to lower grades. I think the big improver will be the Kings personally. Springwood, Burleigh and Kings top 3 with then Robina, Yeronga and Kenmore to battle out the remaing 2 spots. Cooly to improve, but battle it out with Coomera and Alex to avoid the spoon. No disrespect to anyone at those clubs - just based on what ive heard and seen so far for 2015

Will be interesting to see what their depth is like - would expect to see Ruf playing a lot more senior footy along with a couple of other fringe players who played in the 2's gf.

Agree on the Kings, after a triple premiership hangover - they appear to have a more dynamic playing list with blokes actually getting down to training etc.

I saw them play GM in a practice match and it was a demolition. Like watching Kings vs Roos in the 2013 GF!

Agree on the Kings, after a triple premiership hangover - they appear to have a more dynamic playing list with blokes actually getting down to training etc.

I saw them play GM in a practice match and it was a demolition. Like watching Kings vs Roos in the 2013 GF!

Feel free to make yourself known if you ever actually fancy a beer mate - although I can appreciate how cosy it is behind such an anonymous name ;) Capture.PNG

If I had any idea who you were, I would certainly welcome a beer!

I'm not deliberately clandestine, but in reality I'm a nobody who follows local footy. Even if I revealed my real name, other than some old results on google - it wouldn't mean a thing.

I played at Southport (and in Victoria before that) - had a very very brief association with the Kenmore Bears and am far more active in QLD cricket circles than Aussie Rules. I may have played footy at a reasonable level back in the day (70's/80's) with some current older employees at AFLQ, so ocassionally get the odd bit of inside info... ;)

haha mate its all in good fun - nothing you, me or anyone else can say or do is going to change results in the past!

F*#k me - id hate to see the equivalent cricket forum if your this much of a world authority on the 4 leagues of AFLQ!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Know a little bit about things that have happened at Alex Hills through the grapevine. Lost their number 1 ruckman - has been training down at Redlands through the preseason. Speaking to Pfeiffer late last year it appears that Alex Hills key forward has also left to play in the QAFL for UQ. They have picked up the Redlands U18 B&F from a couple of years back as well as a fringe player from last years NEAFL list, wouldn't be enough to cover their losses I wouldn't think.

Seems like you were correct RBF. It looks like Alex Hills are in for a long season if the result of the game against Coorparoo is anything to go by. Didn't see the game but the result wasn't pretty. Looking at other results it seems that Robina will also struggle and may be the early favourite for the spoon

Must be some outs at Robina, looking at some of the names getting a game for them in the 1's is a bit of a worry.

Where are the club stalwarts like Milller? He is an unfashionable back flanker that does a job, hits hard and should be the cornerstone of a decent side down at Robina.

I didn't see the game but also read the team lists and they were considerably different to what I would expect the robina footy club to field in a months time.

there has been some turn over which would be obvious to those that know the names, but I would expect the boys to be a lot stronger once they get potentially 6-8 back.

I would imagine Coomera would have been pretty pumped up to do well to honour a good mate - not taking anything away from them on the day, but the pressure would now be on them to maintain that effort as their benchmark.

Fults has signed for a club in vico judging by what I saw over the weekend.

any match reports from anyone that went to the games , couldn't get there on weekend hopefully quieter this weekend so ican see a match

I didn't see the game but also read the team lists and they were considerably different to what I would expect the robina footy club to field in a months time.

there has been some turn over which would be obvious to those that know the names, but I would expect the boys to be a lot stronger once they get potentially 6-8 back.

I would imagine Coomera would have been pretty pumped up to do well to honour a good mate - not taking anything away from them on the day, but the pressure would now be on them to maintain that effort as their benchmark.

Fults has signed for a club in vico judging by what I saw over the weekend.

Why are the Roos getting 6-8 back in a month? That's round 5 or 6 season could be gone by then. Later start to season than normal, sounds strange, more like hope too

karma - nothing particular about it - some blokes are injured and some are working away to support themselves / families etc and some were just genuinely unavailable from what I understand - definitely less then ideal - but a great reminder that priorities sit at life / career >>>>>>>> QFA level football.

As a club there has no doubt been turnover - looking purely from the reserves perspective the last 4 years has seen them finish 4th,3rd and then lost consecutive gf's by under a kick. A lot of the core of those players have moved on our have other priorities. Likewise for the senior group.

Its a good challenge as a club for us to drive responsibility through younger guys who will be important for the club over the next 5-8 years.

Mind you none of the above is to say the new coach or club would be happy to accept the performances on the weekend and im sure they will be working hard to address it this week or face the very real prospect of getting embarrassed by Burleigh.

interested in any other comments from other games - Cooly result surprised me to be honest - I think when sully and Knight kick 14 you are always going to struggle but to only go down by 5 goals seems a good result from where they were last year.

Yeronga continued their early season form running over the top of Kenmore in the last qtr - 9.2 in the last is a real sign of the work they have done early in the year and have definitely started 2015 with a signal of intent.

No doubt a few eyes on the pumas this week to see where they are at.

Why are the Roos getting 6-8 back in a month? That's round 5 or 6 season could be gone by then. Later start to season than normal, sounds strange, more like hope too

I was told there was 17 players missing attending a wedding 8 were senior players.
And the next couple of weeks they also lose players

I was told there was 17 players missing attending a wedding 8 were senior players.
And the next couple of weeks they also lose players

It does make finals a difficult proposition when you look back to last year. 2-5 were separated by percentage just about..struggling for depth in the early part of the season and letting a few games slip away would be really disappointing.

QAFL Fan has been a bit quiet. Have your mates at AFLQ stopped feeding you information???
Looks like Cooly may have improved over the summer looking at the scores from their clash with Premiership fancy Burleigh. Still early in the season though so things might even themselves out in the next 3 - 4 weeks.

I would be very hesitant throwing around numbers like 17! But looking at the team sheets I would suggest there are 6-8 who would make a difference between the grades who didn't play.

Lets not have that detract from Coomera and is by no means an excuse - I doubt very much any team in any comp in Australia actually fields their best available 22 or 44 on any one weekend.

Its less then ideal of course but it is what it is - hopefully things improve and as yeronga showed last year when it clicks you can beat anyone - I personally thought Yeronga were the danger team in the seniors in the back end of 2014 and had their first final been played in the dry who knows where they would have ended up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back