D1 2016 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm tipping St. Mary's to get the job done in the GF rematch. St. Mary's will get physical on their small ground and win by 25 points.

Can't see it to be honest. Kew are too well drilled to be jumped, Aitken won't let it happen. SMS also aren't an inherently physical side, they'll be aggressive sure, but I reckon kew will have their measure, they are undefeated and unchallenged this season for a reason.

Can't see it to be honest. Kew are too well drilled to be jumped, Aitken won't let it happen. SMS also aren't an inherently physical side, they'll be aggressive sure, but I reckon kew will have their measure, they are undefeated and unchallenged this season for a reason.
100% spot on SMS "aren't an inherently physical side". They will not match it with the big boys of D1. Are there any other games this weekend?

TIPS:

Yarra Valley to cause an upset over NOBS by 9 points

Kew to remain undefeated with a 28 point win over SMS

Ormond to trounce BT by 55

Old Geelong to beat Prahran by 38

Old Mentone to beat Whitefriars by 11

Round 8:
NOBS/St Pats
v Yarra Valley
St Mary’s Salesian v Kew
Bulleen Templestowe v Ormond
Prahran Assumption v Old Geelong
Whitefriars v Old Mentonians

I just hope SMS beat Kew.

Both free running teams that damage teams on the rebound so hopefully SMS do it better on the day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could it be that bedford has since developed a mothers love for mummys boy Jones and his troops at ferndale park? #wasnotexpectingthattip
More likely to have his eye on winning the tipping as most are going for Kew.:)

Hoping to drop by due to there being a paucity of Premier games around about. Looking forward to seeing Kew.

NOBs over Yarra Valley by 28 points
Kew over St Marys by 9 points
Ormond over Bulleen Temp by 90 points
Old Geelong over Prahran by 17 points
Whitefriars over Old Mentone by 10 points

OGFC 10.3 (63) lead Prahran Assumption 5.5 (35) 5 mins into the 3rd.

Epic grand final rematch at ferndale, Kew held a 40 odd point lead at half time, only for the saints to draw level midway through the last. Kew held their nerve as they have so often against the saints and won the match. Both sides can hold their heads high after that match.

SMS attempted the verbal and physical intimidation early in the game again today that has become a pattern. Presumably to stamp their authority on it. Same as against Prahran and apparently as they did against OM.

Thing is it's done in an undisciplined manner and they aren't a naturally physically strong side. The melee they instigated at ¼ was another act of poor discipline in my book.

Thought Aitkin handled the situation with composure at his ¼ time address. Could easily have got caught up in the emotion but his take home message was basically physical toughness is putting your head over the pill and mental toughness is applying controlled aggression. What followed was a ¼ which Kew clearly won.

My take was SMS was fortunate to be so close at ½ time. Three of their 7 goals came from frees, 2 of which were soft as and the one that was there was followed by a soft 25 metres - all by the same umpire.

The so -called premiership quarter was won by SMS but had as much to do with Kew not showing the same intensity they had in the first two quarters as SMS being revitalised. That was addressed at ¾ time. Kew went on to a well deserved win in my view

The Monder v Kew clash should be a ripper.

SMS attempted the verbal and physical intimidation early in the game again today that has become a pattern. Presumably to stamp their authority on it. Same as against Prahran and apparently as they did against OM.

Thing is it's done in an undisciplined manner and they aren't a naturally physically strong side. The melee they instigated at ¼ was another act of poor discipline in my book.

Thought Aitkin handled the situation with composure at his ¼ time address. Could easily have got caught up in the emotion but his take home message was basically physical toughness is putting your head over the pill and mental toughness is applying controlled aggression. What followed was a ¼ which Kew clearly won.

My take was SMS was fortunate to be so close at ½ time. Three of their 7 goals came from frees, 2 of which were soft as and the one that was there was followed by a soft 25 metres - all by the same umpire.

The so -called premiership quarter was won by SMS but had as much to do with Kew not showing the same intensity they had in the first two quarters as SMS being revitalised. That was addressed at ¾ time. Kew went on to a well deserved win in my view

The Monder v Kew clash should be a ripper.

Agree completely with your views on aggression. Getting lippy and in the face of your opponents makes you look pretty stupid if you don't back it up by attacking the footy as hard as you say you're going to. In the Haw v Syd game last week sydney were like ravenous dogs hunting the footy, whereas Kew were actually more aggressive in that sense today early on. SMS gave away some stupid frees, 50s and goals from bumps off the ball etc which were just plain stupid.

On the 1/4 time incident however, the melee that led to the SMS red card was instigated by a Kew player who, had the umpires seen the initial cause, would have been sent off. Instead, the SMS player who reacted and retaliated was the one shown a soft straight red. In that situation its only fair to send them both off or none at all. The decision left SMS a player down for the 2nd quarter in which Kew booted 7 or 8 goals. Whether this played a major factor in Kews 2nd quarter dominance is left to debate.

My take on the game was that it was well and truly won and lost in the middle of the ground. SMS arguably has the better 'main' 2-3 central mids and if they were going to win today, they needed them to dominate the centre clearances. Around the rest of the ground, Kew has the better depth and key players. At stoppages other than the centre bounce, I felt as though Kew were stronger, getting more numbers and spread than SMS. When SMS had the ascendancy from the centre bounces in the 3rd, they had Repeated I50s which they capitalised on. They just didn't sustain that dominance in the middle for more than 1-2 quarters. Brazzale kicked 5 and was extremely solid without being dominant, however I thought Kews smaller forwards and mids were the real match winners today. Kicked some great goals from hard running and fantastic ball movement around the contests.

Still reckon Ormond are the league benchmark, but it may seem that the gap between 1st-2nd and 3rd-4th is smaller than we may have thought.

Last edited:
There's a lot in your post with which I wouldn't agree regarding the way the game played out and the two teams strengths and methods of play, Bob. However, it's in the eye of the beholder so I won't re-hash it all.

Two matters though. If your focus is on things other than the ball or the man with the ball you are giving the opposition a leg-up. Good clubs don't get sucked-in by that ill-discipline. Probably why the Kew stat at quarter time showed 7 to 1 in forward thrusts their way in the opening minutes of the game.It appears to come from the coach as there seems to be a pattern.

As for the melee, it wasn't the way I saw it and the umpires were right on the scene. Throw in that one side has a pattern of behaviour in these matters.

Suspect you might be an SMS man.:)

Agree completely with your views on aggression. Getting lippy and in the face of your opponents makes you look pretty stupid if you don't back it up by attacking the footy as hard as you say you're going to. In the Haw v Syd game last week sydney were like ravenous dogs hunting the footy, whereas Kew were actually more aggressive in that sense today early on. SMS gave away some stupid frees, 50s and goals from bumps off the ball etc which were just plain stupid.

On the 1/4 time incident however, the melee that led to the SMS red card was instigated by a Kew player who, had the umpires seen the initial cause, would have been sent off. Instead, the SMS player who reacted and retaliated was the one shown a soft straight red. In that situation its only fair to send them both off or none at all. The decision left SMS a player down for the 2nd quarter in which Kew booted 7 or 8 goals. Whether this played a major factor in Kews 2nd quarter dominance is left to debate.

My take on the game was that it was well and truly won and lost in the middle of the ground. SMS arguably has the better 'main' 2-3 central mids and if they were going to win today, they needed them to dominate the centre clearances. Around the rest of the ground, Kew has the better depth and key players. At stoppages other than the centre bounce, I felt as though Kew were stronger, getting more numbers and spread than SMS. When SMS had the ascendancy from the centre bounces in the 3rd, they had Repeated I50s which they capitalised on. They just didn't sustain that dominance in the middle for more than 1-2 quarters. Brazzale kicked 5 and was extremely solid without being dominant, however I thought Kews smaller forwards and mids were the real match winners today. Kicked some great goals from hard running and fantastic ball movement around the contests.

Still reckon Ormond are the league benchmark, but it may seem that the gap between 1st-2nd and 3rd-4th is smaller than we may have thought.

Your take on the incident is simply wrong. The Kew player was involved in a pretty harmless push and shove with the St Marys skipper (metres from the ump) and then two St Marys guys threw him to the ground and one laid in a few cheap punches to the head. This all happened right in front of the umpires so it was only fair enough that the St Marys bloke received a red.

St Marys were good in patches but Kew played good, hard footy for longer without being undisciplined. R10 v Ormond is huge

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back