List Mgmt. 2016 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Article on James Stewart http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl/afl-james-stewarts-giant-year-20160307-gncsl4.html

Greater Western Sydney have already lost one key forward this summer when Cameron McCarthy walked out to head home to hang out on the beach with his mates in Perth. By the end of the season they could lose another, this time home to Victoria. McCarthy not being at the club this year could and should mean that James Stewart plays more games and gets more chances to prove himself, which would mean his appeal as a player would also climb.
The next question is, will he stay or go? The answer to that would most likely reside in the fact he is always going to be behind Cameron and Patton in the pecking order and the dollars available to play at a club that brings him home will be more than those available to stay in western Sydney. History would suggest that equation normally means the player leaves.

I actually don't mind the article: it's not the typical 'everyone's deserting GWS' hatchet job, but a fairly factual, logically-argued examination of the various factors relating to GWS, Collingwood, Richmond & Carlton. It's not perfect - it neglects to consider Rory Lobb - but better than most.

Article on James Stewart http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl/afl-james-stewarts-giant-year-20160307-gncsl4.html

Greater Western Sydney have already lost one key forward this summer when Cameron McCarthy walked out to head home to hang out on the beach with his mates in Perth. By the end of the season they could lose another, this time home to Victoria. McCarthy not being at the club this year could and should mean that James Stewart plays more games and gets more chances to prove himself, which would mean his appeal as a player would also climb.
The next question is, will he stay or go? The answer to that would most likely reside in the fact he is always going to be behind Cameron and Patton in the pecking order and the dollars available to play at a club that brings him home will be more than those available to stay in western Sydney. History would suggest that equation normally means the player leaves.

I actually don't mind the article: it's not the typical 'everyone's deserting GWS' hatchet job, but a fairly factual, logically-argued examination of the various factors relating to GWS, Collingwood, Richmond & Carlton. It's not perfect - it neglects to consider Rory Lobb - but better than most.
He's never going to Collingwood according to his pop.

Oh look, there's a Giants player starting to show some consistency at the top level. We need a new name - all the others have made a decision one way or the other - some have stayed, some have left, we nailed a couple and have egg on our faces, and when this ones resolved, either way, we'll move onto the next one., and we don't care whether he's in contract or not. Throw a name out there, we'll pump up his price, ramp up his scrutiny. This week it's Stewart.

Yawn.

IIRC Treloar said something along the lines of it not being a matter of if but when he would be re-signing.

In saying that fingers crossed the captain re-signs before round 3

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like his co-captain last year, sign on early in the year to set an example and hopefully the rest will follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And then there were thirteen....

With Cal's re-signing we now have thirteen ("Thirteen, THIRTEEN" - Anthony Hudson) names in red ink on the contract players thread, of players only signed until the end of this year. so who are they and what are their prospects?

Stevie J: I think there's an option there for another year. Unlikely. Move into coaching role pretty much guaranteed - but if he kicks 45+ and is in good shape.... Boomer Harvey is still going. But it's the obvious space to clear (we have 42, we can have 44 next year, we need to turn over 3 - could do that by retiring Stevie alone)

Joel Patfull: same boat as Stevie J (though I don't expect 40+ goals from him and I'm not sure of his coaching ambitions) but this is probably it for Joel - retirement with honours (one year extension at most announced at season's end if body and mind are up to it)

Shane Mumford: not going anywhere. Will sign an extension at some point without drama.

Dawson Simpson: still only relatively young for a ruckman. Only just got here. Has been injury prone though. We'll see how the year pans out. If he has a really solid year he could parley it into 2 or 3 but but even an ordinary year will almost certainly see a one year extension on the table.

Tom Downie: we have Lobb and Flynn signed longer and as I said above, Mumford will re-sign and Simpson will probably see at least another year. If he's happy at the club and happy playing NEAFL then fine, but I can see him as steak knives in a bigger trade, or a packet of chips to get him somewhere to play. That said, Simpson has a shocker, somebody breaks a leg... Never say never.

Tim Mohr: we kinda owe him another year after all the crap he's been through but footy is a harsh business though and a delisting is a possibility (I think injuries cruel his trade possibilities) Then again, he could stay healthy this year and become an important piece of our backline again. And with Patfull likely to retire.... This is a late in the year one. Two?

Jack Steele: will attract interest from other clubs but that's where the academy strategy comes home to roost. His mum and dad are foundation members of the club. I can't see too many hiccups with this one. I'd like to see a three year deal for him but more likely a standard two year hitch.

Jake Barrett: First there was Miles, then Whiley, then Townsend. NSW country kids who were too good for the NEAFL but couldn't quite crack it in the seniors. Given away cheap to get them somewhere they could play, none of them really wanting to go. Footy can be a bastard at times. But this too is an example of how our academy is benefiting not just us.

Lachie Whitfield: will certaintly attract interest and expect to be reading the god's honest truth from some guy's next door neighbour's barber's second cousin on this one. He's the next logical step for the BF brigade to focus on. But you know what? I don't reckon he's going anywhere. 2/3 years comfortably at some point.

Jeremy Finlayson: he's shown enough when he's on the park to warrant another contract. Trouble is, he hasn't been on the park enough with a series of injuries. Is it a pattern or just a couple of early hiccups? Nobody showed any interest in him when they had the chance to bid. I would imagine a standard 2 might be quietly signed off later in the year if he's back and playing.

Caleb Marchbank: has always struck me as someone who might walk. Don't ask me why. I have absolutely nothing at all to base that on. Will attract some speculation, particularly if he maintains his form through June. I'll be interested to see how long this one takes.

James Stewart: well it seems Collingwood is definitely not an option but wouldn't be surprised if he looks elsewhere depending on the opportunities he's getting. At the moment, he's playing enough, and playing well enough, that it all might be sweet. I expect him to stay on a standard 2.

Patrick McKenna: if there was Miles, Whiley &Townsend in the middle then there was also Sumner, Lamb & Edwards up forward. Still on his rookie contract, I can easily see another 2, but I can also see steak knives or chip packets as well.

Just my two cents worth....

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back