Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
Good start to the new year for Jack Miller. Busted his leg in training.

jackmillerausNow that's she's out there didn't really get to party for the big 21 although they loaded me up with some drugs today for surgery long story short someone lost control on the up ramp of a triple I had to close my throttle didn't crash but the impact of the landing did this to my hobbit leg don't worrie peeps she'll be right these Spanish docs are pretty good #lovesit#redbull@motogp@redbull@hondaracingcorporation@daineseofficial@agvhelmets

The 2016 liveries are starting to be unveiled. The Factory Yamaha one is very similar, if not exactly the same as last year (which was pretty meh). Also, it appears Lorenzo will be running his number 99 and not the number 1 plate.

AU1393152.jpg

The Pramac Ducati's look mint!

AU1393191.jpg

It staggers me Jack Miller was even allowed to do what he did, and if he wasn't I hope Honda blast him for it.

I have no issues with the guy riding moto x in his off season, but going off large ramps ?? The amount these guys are paid he shouldn't be doing it.

Miller is out for the first test at Sepang. So is Aprilia whose 2016 bike isn't yet ready. But, not far away is...

It staggers me Jack Miller was even allowed to do what he did, and if he wasn't I hope Honda blast him for it.

I have no issues with the guy riding moto x in his off season, but going off large ramps ?? The amount these guys are paid he shouldn't be doing it.

I'm not quite staggered but I'm a bit surprised. Most guys run flat track instead but having said that, both Rossi and Marquez (amongst others) have been injured flat tracking so none of it is guaranteed. At the end of the day, this is the best training for them, it's really the equivalent of a preseason hamstring.

Miller is out for the first test at Sepang. So is Aprilia whose 2016 bike isn't yet ready. But, not far away is...

I'm not quite staggered but I'm a bit surprised. Most guys run flat track instead but having said that, both Rossi and Marquez (amongst others) have been injured flat tracking so none of it is guaranteed. At the end of the day, this is the best training for them, it's really the equivalent of a preseason hamstring.
Not sure busting your leg is a good comparison but I get your point.

And it'll be interesting to see how Casey goes.

Who is the last Rider to use 1?
Stoner?

Are their numbers too big of a marketing thing to change away from 99,93, 46 etc?

Yeah, Casey in 2012. I'm sure it's for marketing purposes that they stick with their well known racing numbers rather than the number 1. I think it's a shame, Casey made his Aus flag number 1 pretty famous and even Lorenzo with his JL numero uno I thought was highly marketable. Would've been perfect needle for Lorenzo too to have Rossi look across the garage and see the champs number on his bike every race. Oh well.

Yeah, Casey in 2012. I'm sure it's for marketing purposes that they stick with their well known racing numbers rather than the number 1. I think it's a shame, Casey made his Aus flag number 1 pretty famous and even Lorenzo with his JL numero uno I thought was highly marketable. Would've been perfect needle for Lorenzo too to have Rossi look across the garage and see the champs number on his bike every race. Oh well.

Prior to Caseys two reigns it would have been Kenny Jnr or Criville?
Im not sure i like the idea of the number 1 being worn twice in 15 years.

I have to agree. I know in F1 Bottas picked 77 because the 7s look like the double T from his name. So BO77AS is his marketing thing. I assume GP is the same.

First day back for Stoner saw him finish 0.5 seconds away from the times of the factory guys. Yeah its testing but thats quick

Prior to Caseys two reigns it would have been Kenny Jnr or Criville?
Im not sure i like the idea of the number 1 being worn twice in 15 years.

I have to agree. I know in F1 Bottas picked 77 because the 7s look like the double T from his name. So BO77AS is his marketing thing. I assume GP is the same.

Nicky Hayden wore it in 2007. So we'd have Stoner twice, Lorenzo, Hayden, Kenny Jr and Criville since 2000 running the number 1 plate. Most racers will have some kind of story for the number they run. Stoner and Pedrosa for instance run the numbers that were assigned to them in the Spanish junior championships.

First day back for Stoner saw him finish 0.5 seconds away from the times of the factory guys. Yeah its testing but thats quick

Casey gave a really thorough debrief to some media after his days testing.

I'm not sure numbers being associated with riders is that big a deal.

I assume you mean as an issue? Whilst I liked the old days when the majority of riders ran a number coinciding with their championship position from the year prior (and the yellow plates but that's for another day), I don't have any issue with riders sticking to a set number for whatever reason they want. It's clearly a big deal to them as it's a very powerful marketing tool as is especially evidenced with the number 46 everywhere. My only gripe, and it's just my personal preference, is that the champion should always run the number 1 plate. Not mandated, but by choice and I can't see why they wouldn't, it highlights that they're the champ as only the champ can run the number 1, any other number can be run at any time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The test has been red flagged for the last couple of hours after Loris Baz crashed at the end of the straight at an estimated 290km/hr! It is believed his rear tyre exploded Nakano style.

gomma.jpg

He won't need to take a dump for a week, nothing left to give.

Stoner finished the day ninth, .7 behind Lorenzo (who was second), .3 from Marquez, a tenth behind Rossi and Iannone and quicker than Pedrosa and Dovi. Not half bad!

That is ****ing frightening.

As for Stoner, he's making it look a bit easy.

Day three times.

1. = Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 59.580s [Lap 34/36]
2. = Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 2m 0.556s +0.976s [13/38]
3. = Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 2m 0.883s +1.303s [44/45]
4. ˄ Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 2m 0.992s +1.412s [40/42]
5. ˅ Casey Stoner AUS Ducati Test Rider (Desmosedici GP15) 2m 1.070s +1.490s [30/30]
6. ˄ Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 2m 1.161s +1.581s [35/48]
7. ˄ Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 2m 1.217s +1.637s [15/18]
8. ˅ Andrea Iannone ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP15/16) 2m 1.223s +1.643s [17/38]
9. ˄ Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 2m 1.229s +1.649s [40/42]
10. ˅ Maverick Viñales ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 2m 1.244s +1.664s [49/51]
11. ˅ Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 2m 1.434s +1.854s [11/30]
12. ˅ Aleix Espargaro ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 2m 1.623s +2.043s [7/44]
13. ˅ Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP15/16) 2m 1.675s +2.095s [18/34]
14. ˅ Yonny Hernandez COL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 2m 1.774s +2.194s [20/40]
15. ˅ Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 2m 1.870s +2.290s [26/44]
16. ˅ Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 2m 1.918s +2.338s [49/65]
17. = Loris Baz FRA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 2m 2.541s +2.961s [14/33]
18. = Stefan Bradl GER Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 2m 2.792s +3.212s [8/44]
19. = Katsuyuki Nakasuga JPN Yamaha Test Rider (YZR-M1) 2m 2.940s +3.360s [10/27]
20. = Tito Rabat ESP Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V)* 2m 3.012s +3.432s [49/57]
21. = Alvaro Bautista ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 2m 3.183s +3.603s [16/46]
22. = Eugene Laverty IRL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 2m 3.519s +3.939s [16/25]

Testing times tend to be somewhat misleading from the point of view that everyone have different agendas with what they're testing. With that in mind:

- Lorenzo is backing up his claim as the quickest man on the grid, consistently turning the fastest laps
- Ducati are strong and seem to be coping well with the tyre and ecu changes
- Honda have the same problems as last years with an over-aggressive engine that they're unable to tame with the electronics
- The new Suzuki has more power and a seamless (upchange) gearbox and two riders with opposite views on the handling...
- Casey still has it! Fastest Ducati rider, he has been enormously impressive and proved the real reason Honda didn't let him fill in for Pedrosa...

Interestingly with Stoner, he was initially slated to just run the two days with just the test riders before the racers all turned up. That obviously changed and he spent the last two days amongst the big boys. I didn't really think anything of it but after reading a few conspiracy theories and mulling it over myself, I think Ducati have been very shrewd. At the end of this season, all the factory seats are vacant. Ducati want to be a contender and I think Gigi and co., having seen Casey's speed on his first day of testing, have used Stoner to advertise to the other "aliens" that the Bologne Bullet is a title competitive ride in talented hands. They've long been linked with trying to land Lorenzo which may be a bridge too far but if Honda continue with their current situation, Pedrosa or even Marquez may just be gettable. Watch this space.

IMO that seems very feasible. They aren't putting pressure on Casey but at the same time having him more involved with the day to day workings of the team.

Not that far off everyone bar George either. You're right he could well have embarrassed Repsol Honda if he did want to jump on. No one has ridden a Ducati in motogp like he has.

The MotoGP boys are testing at Phillip Island at the moment. Yesterday was largely a write off due to the wet weather. Jack Miller is back on board. He apparently hit the training track real hard over the pre-season and dropped 8kgs down to 66kgs - his Moto3 riding weight! :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back