Opinion 2017 Draft Discussion - Pick 3 - Poll added

Who we are likely to take at Pick 3 .......

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't track those players you've mentioned from their under 12's any more than that ones I raised, so......
All we have as arm-chair recruiters is to look at players' traits and take them to what we see as being an end result.
It's all a matter of fumbling around with certain aspects of what you see and try and get a read on where you feel the end result will take you.

Dangerfield went at #10 in his draft, in '07 and Rance at #18
Beams went at #29 and Hannebery at #30 the following year
Fyfe went at #20 the year after etc.....

Everyone will have an opinion, but the trick is not to look at the now, but to see the future. Get that right and you'll be an A-Grade recruiter.
I'm only talking about what they did at U18 level. They all showed their versatility there. You're banking on something that we might not see until the U18 All Star game.

LDU seems to be overrated by most

Bonar would be a surprise at 24

Patmore is a turnover king, would rather steer clear

Kelly is a late 2nd, think he will be gone by 56. (will finish top 3 sandover)

Roughsedge is a steal at 74
I think Bonar's speed/endurance combination, and the shape he has returned in see him go that early. I think he would compliment Cripps and Charlie beautifully.

We've had the Patmore discussion, and I prefer him to Kelly, who I guess I am hoping will slide a little bit.

Roughsedge is a gamble for the club that takes him, as it may be another 18 months before he even looks remotely AFL capable, with the problem being the VFL may not even challenge him to improve his running power. So you're banking on his determination to get him accelerating his progress faster than the rest, and his body to withstand the pressure.

That makes him a difficult decision to put on an AFL list at all this year, but I would like us to assume that risk. In doing so, I think the 2-year contract should give him the confidence that we're in it for the long haul with him.

He's not on your list above, do you think he will be left out?
Unless we shake another rookie, there's a priority to take a ruck. What little I've seen of him suggests he doesn't have enough of a first step to make an impact as a midfielder or a defender.

I know he's been getting good numbers, but I'm not sure he's even got a state combine invite at this point.

Can anyone tell me why Jack Higgins didn't get any love, he does everything well, goal kicking mid, is it that he's short? 178cm
He'll go 8-15 IMO. Has good endurance, but hasn't shown an ability to step into midfield and make an impact just yet. You get a high quality forward who will work up the ground at this stage.

I'm only talking about what they did at U18 level. They all showed their versatility there. You're banking on something that we might not see until the U18 All Star game.

:) I'm banking on what I see may come about.
I'm not sure why this notion is so hard to fathom?

My read may well be wrong, but I can't help seeing what I see. Does that make sense yet? Maybe, right? :)

:) I'm banking on what I see may come about.
I'm not sure why this notion is so hard to fathom?

My read may well be wrong, but I can't help seeing what I see. Does that make sense yet? Maybe, right? :)
It makes sense, it's just an incredibly high risk strategy with a top 5 pick when there at least equally capable, easily projected players with just as much upside sitting right there.

You're in the SR & WH school of drafting with those thoughts.

It makes sense, it's just an incredibly high risk strategy with a top 5 pick when there at least equally capable, easily projected players with just as much upside sitting right there.

You're in the SR & WH school of drafting with those thoughts.

That's not a good thing, right? :)
I have though put forward my reasons for this. Would not normally go this way.

We all see things one way and interpret them another.
Knowing the guys would make things easier and it's somewhat difficult getting a read on characters just from facial expressions.

I do though see reasons for wilder fluctuations of what is seen to be the top 5 and the top 10, than in more recent years. It may make it exciting.

If we did take on Rockcliff and got Kennedy, could we set out sights for something other than an inside midfielder?

Best available, but that can change dependent on the other pieces in place.

Rayner.
Play as that damaging forward with spells in the midfield.
I just keep thinking how good our forward line could potentially be with him and Charlie in it.

Which is exactly why he is a reach at 3. We need a genuine bonafide quality inside midfielder HARKER. We're not in a position to punt on wannabes. I see a lot of "if Rayner this, if Coffield that", rather than "Rayner is this, Coffield is that". At Pick 3 I expect a known known with plenty of upside. For me it's Cerra 1st or Dow 2nd. I see both Coffield & Brayshaw in the 8-12 range.
Bolton has always talked about players flexibility and being able to play a variety of roles. So I wouldn't be too put off by this guy plays a bit of this and a bit of that. Rayner is a forward, who plays a bit of midfield with the long term view of being a midfielder who plays forward occasionally for example. That type of flexibility would appeal.

(I only used Rayner as the example as he's the only one I'm aware of that can genuinely play 2 positions)

If we did take on Rockcliff and got Kennedy, could we set out sights for something other than an inside midfielder?

Rayner.
I just keep thinking how good our forward line could potentially be with him and Charlie in it.

Add that the acquisition of Rockliff and Kennedy would allow guys like Murph and Samo to play more outside and venture forward and also that Rocky does alright as a forward. I think Crippa might continue to venture forward on more occasions to ty and create defensive mismatches and hit the scoreboard. It all starts to read as a reasonably flexible group of mids/mid-fwds/charlie for rotations when you line them all up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would suspect they'd go an inside mid to develop specifically while Rockliff was there and save his young body from the bash n crash.

Rayner.
Would be very good 1 out deep in the forward line, just like Dangerfield last week.

I think Bonar's speed/endurance combination, and the shape he has returned in see him go that early. I think he would compliment Cripps and Charlie beautifully.

We've had the Patmore discussion, and I prefer him to Kelly, who I guess I am hoping will slide a little bit.

Roughsedge is a gamble for the club that takes him, as it may be another 18 months before he even looks remotely AFL capable, with the problem being the VFL may not even challenge him to improve his running power. So you're banking on his determination to get him accelerating his progress faster than the rest, and his body to withstand the pressure.

That makes him a difficult decision to put on an AFL list at all this year, but I would like us to assume that risk. In doing so, I think the 2-year contract should give him the confidence that we're in it for the long haul with him.

Bonar has been poor in recent weeks, so unless he starts to show some consistency, I would suggest he will drift. Have always thought he would be a 3rd rounder given his injuries

Yes we have had the Patmore discussion, would rather Hayden ahead of Patmore and Kelly (Concerned with him being a flight risk)

I believe Roughsedge is ahead of Bonar, despite being over age (only 5 months compared to eligible draftees). He is no further behind most of the draftees fitness wise, considering most need 2 to 3 preseasons

Bolton has always talked about players flexibility and being able to play a variety of roles. So I wouldn't be too put off by this guy plays a bit of this and a bit of that. Rayner is a forward, who plays a bit of midfield with the long term view of being a midfielder who plays forward occasionally for example. That type of flexibility would appeal.

(I only used Rayner as the example as he's the only one I'm aware of that can genuinely play 2 positions)

Valid points.

Most of the guys at the pointy end of the draft, will play dual position, with different degrees of success

Valid points.

Most of the guys at the pointy end of the draft, will play dual position, with different degrees of success

Higgins.....gets his own footy, kicks goals.

Hopefully he's still there around 10-17, assuming things line up.

Bonar has been poor in recent weeks, so unless he starts to show some consistency, I would suggest he will drift. Have always thought he would be a 3rd rounder given his injuries

Yes we have had the Patmore discussion, would rather Hayden ahead of Patmore and Kelly (Concerned with him being a flight risk)

I believe Roughsedge is ahead of Bonar, despite being over age (only 5 months compared to eligible draftees). He is no further behind most of the draftees fitness wise, considering most need 2 to 3 preseasons
See with Bonar, at least you know he can play medium forward and has the tank and speed for a dynamic midfield role if he can wrap his head around it.

With Roughsedge you're hoping he catches up very quickly in the first 12 months. Short of a disaster on the medical, I don't see how clubs take Roughsedge earlier than Bonar, at all.

But look, anything that means we don't have to trade away as many assets to secure a guy like Bonar is a-ok by me, because it opens up opportunities to get greater assurance of securing guys like Parish and Tim Kelly.

There's a huge opportunity to transform our midfield stocks with this draft.

See with Bonar, at least you know he can play medium forward and has the tank and speed for a dynamic midfield role if he can wrap his head around it.

With Roughsedge you're hoping he catches up very quickly in the first 12 months. Short of a disaster on the medical, I don't see how clubs take Roughsedge earlier than Bonar, at all.

But look, anything that means we don't have to trade away as many assets to secure a guy like Bonar is a-ok by me, because it opens up opportunities to get greater assurance of securing guys like Parish and Tim Kelly.

There's a huge opportunity to transform our midfield stocks with this draft.

I prefer we stay well away from Parish, guys like him and Patmore just butcher the ball. So many guys late in the draft that a very good ball users

Back