2018 Rolling All Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is a automatic in, just like Buddy Franklin.

Both are stars of course, but the AA selectors pencil those 2 names in before the launch of the season.

I think Buddy could miss. He's been good of course, but the reports of his injuries and limited training/play would have even the AA selectors consider him not a dead set certainty. Probably in, but for the first time in a long time it's possible.

As for Rance, I think the previous year's AA Captain would need to have a really awful year not to make it the next year, and Rance has been good. To be honest, I think any 'decline' from him has been more due to those around him stepping up more so he hasn't needed (had the opportunity?) to dominate as much.

B: Tom Stewart (GEE) - Alex Rance (RICH) - Dylan Grimes (RICH)
HB: Shannon Hurn (WCE) - Robbie Tarrant (NME) - Rory Laird (ADE)
C: Shaun Higgins (NME) - Tom Mitchell (HAW) - Lachie Whitfield (GWS)
HF:
Robbie Gray (PORT) - Tom Hawkins (GEEL) - Dustin Martin (RICH)
F: Jack Riewoldt (RICH) -
Ben Brown (NME) - Luke Bruest (HAW)
R: Max Gawn (MEL) - Clayton Oliver (MEL) - Patrick Cripps (CARL)
I: Brodie Grundy (COLL) -
Trent Cotchin (RICH) - Elliot Yeo (WCE) - Scott Pendlebury (COLL)

Lance will probably return in the next 3 weeks. I've probably moved Gaff out 3 weeks too early, but he won't be making it, so why not do it now.

B: Tom Stewart (GEE) - Alex Rance (RICH) - Dylan Grimes (RICH)
HB: Shannon Hurn (WCE) - Robbie Tarrant (NME) - Rory Laird (ADE)
C: Shaun Higgins (NME) - Tom Mitchell (HAW) - Lachie Whitfield (GWS)
HF:
Patrick Dangerfield (GEEL) - Tom Hawkins (GEEL) - Dustin Martin (RICH)
F:
Lance Franklin (SYD) - Jack Riewoldt (RICH) - Luke Bruest (HAW)
R: Max Gawn (MEL) - Clayton Oliver (MEL) - Patrick Cripps (CARL)
I: Brodie Grundy (COLL) -
Stephen Coniglio (GWS) - Elliot Yeo (WCE) - Scott Pendlebury (COLL)

I had to drop Cotchin and put in Dangerfield, neither of which I wanted to do. couldn't justify Gray making it, or Coniglio not making over those 2. 5 spots in that forward line should pick themselves IMO, with Dangerfield up for debate.

Fun exercise to do this throughout the year, now I'm just waiting for my team to look nothing like the final side.

9 locks IMO. Mitchell, Riewoldt, Martin, Bruest, Hawkins, Gawn, Grundy, Oliver and Cripps.

All Australian team (2018)

B: Shannon Hurn (c), Alex Rance, Dylan Grimes
HB: Rory Laird, Jeremy McGovern, Lachie Whitfield

R: Max Gawn, Tom Mitchell, Patrick Dangerfield
C: Dustin Martin, Pat Cripps, Andrew Gaff

HF: Robbie Gray, Jack Riewoldt, Jack Gunston
F: Tom Hawkins, Lance Franklin, Luke Breust

I: Brodie Grundy, Shaun Higgins, Elliot Yeo, Clayton Oliver

Richmond (4) - Rance, Grimes, Martin, Riewoldt
West Coast (4) - Hurn, McGovern, Gaff, Yeo
Collingwood (1) - Grundy
Hawthorn (3) - Mitchell, Gunston, Breust
Melbourne (2) - Gawn, Oliver
Sydney (1) - Franklin
GWS (1) - Whitfield
Geelong (2) - Dangerfield, Hawkins
North Melbourne (1) - Higgins
Port Adelaide (1) - Gray
Essendon - None
Adelaide (1) - Laird
Western Bulldogs - None
Fremantle - None
Brisbane - None
St Kilda - None
Gold Coast - None
Carlton (1) - Cripps

B - Grimes Rance Laird
HB - Whitfield Stratton Hurn
C - Gaff Mitchell Macrae
HF - Martin Riewoldt Dangerfield
F - Gunston Hawkins Breust
Foll - Grundy Cripps Oliver
Inter - Higgins Gawn Yeo Coniglio

Stiff - Franklin, Beams, Brown, Westhoff, Caddy, Smith, Polec, Jonas, others.

B: Grimes, Rance, Laird
HB: Astbury, McGovern, Whitfield
C: Gaff, Mitchell, McCrae
HF: Martin, Hawkins, Dangerfield
FF: Bruest, Riewoldt (C), Gunston
RR: Grundy, Oliver, Cripps
IC: Hurn, Gawn, Yeo, Smith

5 - Richmond
4 - WCE
3 - Hawthorn
2 - Geelong, Melbourne
1 - Bulldogs, Carlton, Adelaide, GWS, Collingwood, Essendon

* The spread is fair, not to unbiased in favour of one team.

*Felt Collingwood stiff to only have one inclusion but injuries, and role players who haven’t put together a big year instead, shown big patches. To fix this I’ve placed Grundy as the No.1 Ruck, toss of a coin whether it’s him or Gawn. I went Grundy secondly because he’s also like a midfielder, regularly tackles in high numbers and even gets 20+ disposals a game and hit the 30 mark a few times for a ruck.

*Jack Riewoldt the captain, when I compare his year to Hurns, my secondary person, I just thought Riewoldts year has been more important to Richmond. Take Hurn out? I think West Coast can cover for him, take Riewoldt out? Richmond are ****ed.

Any disagreements with my squad of 40?

Backs: Davis Blicavs Rance McGovern Astbury Jonas Stewart Grimes Jetta Hurn Stratton Laird Whitfield

Midfielders: Martin Yeo Gaff Sidebottom Pendlebury Coniglio Ward Oliver Dangerfield Mitchell Higgins Macrae Cripps Beams Cotchin

Rucks: Gawn Grundy

Forwards: Riewoldt Caddy Gunston Hawkins Gray Franklin Breust Brown De Goey Smith

Would love to fit Nick Haynes, Dayne Beams and Duncan in there but I don’t think they will get the nod over the likes of Cotchin, Astbury etc.

B: Grimes, Rance, Laird
HB: Astbury, McGovern, Whitfield
C: Gaff, Mitchell, McCrae
HF: Martin, Hawkins, Dangerfield
FF: Bruest, Riewoldt (C), Gunston
RR: Grundy, Oliver, Cripps
IC: Hurn, Gawn, Yeo, Smith

5 - Richmond
4 - WCE
3 - Hawthorn
2 - Geelong, Melbourne
1 - Bulldogs, Carlton, Adelaide, GWS, Collingwood, Essendon

* The spread is fair, not to unbiased in favour of one team.

*Felt Collingwood stiff to only have one inclusion but injuries, and role players who haven’t put together a big year instead, shown big patches. To fix this I’ve placed Grundy as the No.1 Ruck, toss of a coin whether it’s him or Gawn. I went Grundy secondly because he’s also like a midfielder, regularly tackles in high numbers and even gets 20+ disposals a game and hit the 30 mark a few times for a ruck.

*Jack Riewoldt the captain, when I compare his year to Hurns, my secondary person, I just thought Riewoldts year has been more important to Richmond. Take Hurn out? I think West Coast can cover for him, take Riewoldt out? Richmond are ******.
Out: Devon Smith, Astbury
In: Tom Stewart, Caddy/Gray/Beams/Higgins/Sidebottom etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And I know this is AA so the real team will have like 4-5 richmond players and Selwood and Cotchin will make the final 22, but if the panel were really picking the best possible 22 for a game there is no way Dylan Grimes makes it over Tom Jonas, Dane Rampe, Nick Haynes, Neville Jetta for mine. I can understand Cotchin for leaderships sake but Dylan Grimes would have to be the most overrated defender in a position already stacked in terms of AA options with the aforementioned guys + Sicily Hurn Stewart Laird Stratton etc.

Last edited:
Nah that is not right. He's rarely ever beaten. Doesn't have the numbers to make the 22 but if he's not in the squad there is something wrong.
I agree he should make the squad. He’s in my squad for sure. But doesn’t have enough offensive output to make the team even though he’s improved his intercept marking.

I agree he should make the squad. He’s in my squad for sure. But doesn’t have enough offensive output to make the team even though he’s improved his intercept marking.

He was actually a great intercept mark early on, before the hamstring troubles. His numbers are different now that his specialty is shutting down dangerous opponents.

Fair. Reckon we'll get a few in the squad, but apart from Grundy nobody else has been consistently excellent enough to warrant selection in the final 22. We've finished third due to a combination of buy-in and an even spread of talent more so than individual excellence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back