Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
thinking on it, if GC were really smart, they would go to Melbourne with 15, 20 and pick 11 next year and maybe even throw in a further pick to make a play for pick 3.Then if they got pick 3, they could bid on Green at pick 1 and GWS would not have the capital to match. They then get Green, then take Rowell and Anderson with 2 & 3. That might just set them up for the future if they did that sort of a deal - if Melbourne would accept such an offer

Not sure how he's in the know about some Demons stuff, but FWIW a well-respected guy on the Carlton board has said Melb are taking Jackson at 3

Geez that's extremely surprising, not gonna lie
If so I think they would consider trading down to 6 (7) for the right deal. Seems 3 is high so unless it looks like GWS, Syd or us want him they wouldn’t lose out.
GWS don’t need to get to 3 but still getting to 3 or our 4 has same end result so they will be talking with us both, giving guarantees to Melb they won’t touch Jackson

If so I think they would consider trading down to 6 (7) for the right deal. Seems 3 is high so unless it looks like GWS, Syd or us want him they wouldn’t lose out.
GWS don’t need to get to 3 but still getting to 3 or our 4 has same end result so they will be talking with us both, giving guarantees to Melb they won’t touch Jackson
There has been a bit of talk the Giants are keen on him if they can get there hands on a pick before a Green bid so I doubt the Dees do it.

Not sure how he's in the know about some Demons stuff, but FWIW a well-respected guy on the Carlton board has said Melb are taking Jackson at 3

Geez that's extremely surprising, not gonna lie
I could see MELB taking Jackson at #8 ......but IMO they need that elite kick off HB in Young

Now, last week I couldn't see ADEL trading with FREO for #7 & #10 ......now I can, if FREO want Jackson and Henry, I could see
ADEL #4 & next years 1st pick
FREO #7 & #10 .....Freo could then use #22 , #58 , and a pick nxt season to get Henry ....and still hold two first round picks in 2020

The Dees aren’t the only club to have shown interest in Jackson, with the next three clubs in the draft order – Adelaide (Pick 4), Sydney Swans (Pick 5) and the Giants (Pick 6) – all being linked to the WA prospect.

Barring a live trade that would see Fremantle or West Coast move up the draft order, Jackson is unlikely to remain in WA for 2020.

Gut feel is they don't end up moving down from 3 unless they get a superb deal, it already seems like they've turned down the offer of the extra 1st round pick

As they only have 3, 8 and nothing else, though, I think it's a given they move down from their pick 8 - maybe to pick 14 and 24 from Geelong?

I could see MELB taking Jackson at #8 ......but IMO they need that elite kick off HB in Young

Now, last week I couldn't see ADEL trading with FREO for #7 & #10 ......now I can, if FREO want Jackson and Henry, I could see
ADEL #4 & next years 1st pick
FREO #7 & #10 .....Freo could then use #22 , #58 , and a pick nxt season to get Henry ....and still hold two first round picks in 2020
4 and our 2020 1st for 7 and 10 seems like a pretty poor deal for us to be honest, assuming we finish in the 11-14 range

The talk is that Henry gets bid on outside the top 10 now anyway, so they should be able to use 22 on Henry nonetheless

4 and our 2020 1st for 7 and 10 seems like a pretty poor deal for us to be honest, assuming we finish in the 11-14 range

The talk is that Henry gets bid on outside the top 10 now anyway, so they should be able to use 22 on Henry nonetheless
I would be surprised at this

There has been a bit of talk the Giants are keen on him if they can get there hands on a pick before a Green bid so I doubt the Dees do it.
Does make sense, their recruiter on road to the draft not long ago spoke of their lack of options in that position and inability to replace Lobb and the hole that left for them. So Jackson fits a need for sure. And they already have trouble getting games into their other top midfield young talent (hately, Caldwell, green to come in) so wouldn’t surprise to see them grab him even if it was a slight reach on their talent board

Just a thought (as some of you know I love my scenarios lol) - say we were able to get this deal done with GWS:

2020 1st, 6, 2020 3rd
for
2020 1st, 28, 37, 49

Leaving us with 4, 6, 23, 45 this year.

Would we then prefer to do which of these deals?

Adel gets: 10, 22
Freo gets: 6

Leaves us with 4, 10, 22, 23, 45. Guarantees the Dockers a second player before the Liam Henry bid, while giving us a bit more depth in the draft

The second deal is under the assumption Melb trades down to picks 14 and 24, while Geelong gets their pick 8:

Adel gets: 8, 17
Geel gets: 4

Leaving us with 6, 8, 17, 23, 45. Gives Geelong a shot at Flanders, while we arguably get some stronger draft depth than in the first trade, but get rid of our prized pick 4

Personally I prefer the second option, gives us some better draft depth plus possibly a shot at Will Day with pick 17, although I also would love to get Trent Rivers at that point as a tall, classy midfielder. Would love to hear people's thoughts

Just a thought (as some of you know I love my scenarios lol) - say we were able to get this deal done with GWS:

2020 1st, 6, 2020 3rd
for
2020 1st, 28, 37, 49

Leaves us with 4, 10, 22, 23, 45. Guarantees the Dockers a second player before the Liam Henry bid, while giving us a bit more depth in the draft

The second deal is under the assumption Melb trades down to picks 14 and 24, while Geelong gets their pick 8:

Leaving us with 6, 8, 17, 23, 45. Gives Geelong a shot at Flanders, while we arguably get some stronger draft depth than in the first trade, but get rid of our prized pick 4

Personally I prefer the second option, gives us some better draft depth plus possibly a shot at Will Day with pick 17, although I also would love to get Trent Rivers at that point as a tall, classy midfielder. Would love to hear people's thoughts

if we get 6, 8, 17, 23, 45 ill be over the moon.

2020 1st, 6, 2020 3rd
for
2020 1st, 28, 37, 49

My ideal draft would see us with the draft collateral to get both Lachlan Ash and Fischer McAsey, how that's achieved I have no idea though as I'm certain there will be good midfield prospects still on the table later in the draft this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where is Brodie Kemp projected to go at the moment? Would be very happy if he found his way onto our list.

Where is Brodie Kemp projected to go at the moment? Would be very happy if he found his way onto our list.

Somewhere in the 10-18 range at this stage is the way it’s shaping up. Perhaps if he makes it to 15ish we could manufacture a live trade with a team that doesn’t want him.

I’m with you re wanting Kemp on our list though. Take Flanders at 6 (will blow out to pick 7 after Sydney bid on Green) and pocket GWS’ 2020 first rounder in the process (assuming we rate Flanders as the 4th best player in the draft after Rowell, Anderson and Green, and the Dees take Jackson at 3, GWS take Young or Ash at 4, GWS then match the Green bid at 5 and Sydney take Young or Ash at 6), and then nab Kemp in the teens via trading something like 23 (will end up being more like 26), 37 (40ish) and a 2020 3rd rounder for pick 16ish. That’s my dream first round right there.

I see Flanders and Kemp as 2 of the 8 most talented players in this draft crop, and both address a clear need. Happy to take the risk on Kemp’s knee, as he was going to be a top 4-5 pick before he did it (eerily similar to Lever in that regard).

It's so tempting if the crows get 6 to then trade with Geelong for 14 and 17.
I'm leaning towards doing it.
If we are going to do that, you may as well do 12 and 18 with port instead

Last edited:
Somewhere in the 10-18 range at this stage is the way it’s shaping up. Perhaps if he makes it to 15ish we could manufacture a live trade with a team that doesn’t want him.

I’m with you re wanting Kemp on our list though. Take Flanders at 6 (will blow out to pick 7 after Sydney bid on Green) and pocket GWS’ 2020 first rounder in the process (assuming we rate Flanders as the 4th best player in the draft after Rowell, Anderson and Green, and the Dees take Jackson at 3, GWS take Young or Ash at 4, GWS then match the Green bid at 5 and Sydney take Young or Ash at 6), and then nab Kemp in the teens via trading something like 23 (will end up being more like 26), 37 (40ish) and a 2020 3rd rounder for pick 16ish. That’s my dream first round right there.

I see Flanders and Kemp as 2 of the 8 most talented players in this draft crop, and both address a clear need. Happy to take the risk on Kemp’s knee, as he was going to be a top 4-5 pick before he did it (eerily similar to Lever in that regard).
That's a great return if we can get it

Really? After the first 7-8 they were mostly missed.
By around the mark the reference was not to the club that actually took them but around where most of them were taken pick wise. Only a couple of anomalies mostly to do with the Academy lads. I think the only 2 he didn't have being taken in his 22 were Ely Smith and Xavier O'Halloran?

Yeah I get a feeling Port would do that deal for 6, they'd love Stephens, and I think Freo and particularly Melbourne would be a threat to take him beyond then

Will be interesting to see how that GWS pick shapes out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back