Review 2022 AFL National (& Rookie) Draft(s) Thread II (North's picks - Sheezel, Wardlaw, B.George, Harvey, Drury,Free,Howe,Turner)

Remove this Banner Ad

Both Howe and Turner I’m very meh on. They are known quantities, with little to no upside. With Shiels coming on board I would’ve liked us to take only one of Howe or Turner then take a punt on Petric as we desperately need Key forward depth, alternatively I would’ve taken Jed Hagan over Turner as he has stacks of upside (yeah yeah…I know both Petric & Hagan went undrafted…that doesn’t mean I rate them any less but that’s just my personal opinion). Fingers crossed we can get a young key forward in the Petric mould or a key defender like Phillips down to the club to trial for a potential SPP position.
This bit resonates with me the most, we know what they’re capable of and more importantly what they’re not capable of.

After getting Sheezel & Wardlaw we would’ve had to have done a lot wrong for us to bomb in this draft.

Obviously I’m thrilled with Sheez and Wardlaw. Earlier in the year I had some concerns about Sheezel but as the year progressed his form and effort put those concerns to bed. He will add a stack of class and creativity to our forward line, while Wardlaw will replace JHF as a physical contested player.

George, is going to take some time but he has stacks of upside. He has a tonne of talent and if he had a full season he could’ve potentially pushed into the top ten. My preference with that pick was Cowan, but I can see why the club was willing to punt on George. I’ll be interested to see how their respective careers progress.

Cooper was a given, so not much to see there.

Drury, was very unlucky not to be taken in the National Draft, so it was good to see him picked up. He can play a variety of positions and has good skill and goal sense.

I’ve been saying I’d be happy for us to take another Ruck, most clubs have 4 on their list and we have been a bit light on for rucks for a while now. We’ve had good history developing rucks so I’m sure we’ll see Free progress quite quickly. The added benefit is that hopefully we’ll see Edwards being developed as a key position player where he is more suited.

Both Howe and Turner I’m very meh on. They are known quantities, with little to no upside. With Shiels coming on board I would’ve liked us to take only one of Howe or Turner then take a punt on Petric as we desperately need Key forward depth, alternatively I would’ve taken Jed Hagan over Turner as he has stacks of upside (yeah yeah…I know both Petric & Hagan went undrafted…that doesn’t mean I rate them any less but that’s just my personal opinion). Fingers crossed we can get a young key forward in the Petric mould or a key defender like Phillips down to the club to trial for a potential SPP position.

My only concern for the whole draft haul is the lack of key forward picked (again), and the fact that we went with 4 half forwards in Sheezel, George, Harvey and Drury. Prior to the draft I was a fan of Drury (and I’m happy we picked him) but with other smaller half forwards in Mahony and Lazz I’m not sure it really suited us from a list balance perspective. In saying that, good on Rawlings and co for having the conviction to take him when they considered him best available!

Overall, I’m thrilled with our trade and draft period. Can’t wait to see Logue holding down CHB and Sheezel lighting up the forward line.

Thanks for all the junior footy chats and feedback throughout the year! Have really enjoyed this thread.
thanks for your contributions to this thread, mate. you and souup in particular added heaps of info and insights this year and i appreciated that you were always happy to answer questions -- and not just pay lip service to them either, but actually provide proper in-depth responses. they were great to read throughout a tough year

Would there be any key forwards with other clubs that are free agents next year? if so, we may splash a little cash to go ready made?
There are SFA that are in the right age bracket, ie ones younger than 30.

Even the OOC options aren't pretty:

J Amartey
Ash Johnson
M Georgiades
H Himmelberg
E Hipwood
B Khamis
Sam Darcy
T Fullarton
J Silvagni
Harrison Jones
Kaine Baldwin
J Treacy
L Casboult
Sam Day
Phil Davis
J Riccardi
J Koschitzke

Unless we can get a superstar as a pre-agent, which probably isn't necessary when we've got Larks and Comben, I'm inclined to go for someone like Amartey. He would provide competent depth, he's Victorian, he's the right age and he has untapped upside, and he's fighting to get a game against Buddy, Reid and McDonald atm. I'd be inclined to save our key forward budget for the massive paydays the likes of LDU and BMac can expect.

Last edited:
If we can snare a Logue calibre forward for a future 2nd next year then that would be ideal. Otherwise a fringe player for a 3rd/4th rounder will do for depth and hope he does a 2m Peter. I wouldn’t throw the kitchen sink at anyone until we are contenders.

Jacob Edwards is intriguing. If we haven’t given up on him and consider him more of a natural forward than ruck, then our list balance doesn’t look quite as bad. Maybe Free has been brought in so we can play Edwards forward? Having a look at some old footage he is rather nimble.

I didn’t catch many VFL games this year. What do VFL watchers think of Edwards as a forward?

If we can snare a Logue calibre forward for a future 2nd next year then that would be ideal. Otherwise a fringe player for a 3rd/4th rounder will do for depth and hope he does a 2m Peter. I wouldn’t throw the kitchen sink at anyone until we are contenders.

Jacob Edwards is intriguing. If we haven’t given up on him and consider him more of a natural forward than ruck, then our list balance doesn’t look quite as bad. Maybe Free has been brought in so we can play Edwards forward? Having a look at some old footage he is rather nimble.

I didn’t catch many VFL games this year. What do VFL watchers think of Edwards as a forward?

I hope that’s the case because Edwards was hardly even competitive in the ruck this year in the VFL because he was often giving away 20+kg to his opponents. He hardly got to play forward at all because of his load in the ruck.

The best VFL game he has played was probably his first one after he was taken in the MSD. He played predominantly forward and kicked a couple of goals.

He isn’t a statue like CCJ or Xerri, his movement is very good and he has a good leap on him. Playing him forward would utilise those assets better and not expose his weakness (strength) as much.

I wouldn’t be against parking him at full back either. He has a similar athletic profile to Sam De Koning from Geelong so I could see him making a go of it there too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope that’s the case because Edwards was hardly even competitive in the ruck this year in the VFL because he was often giving away 20+kg to his opponents. He hardly got to play forward at all because of his load in the ruck.

The best VFL game he has played was probably his first one after he was taken in the MSD. He played predominantly forward and kicked a couple of goals.

He isn’t a statue like CCJ or Xerri, his movement is very good and he has a good leap on him. Playing him forward would utilise those assets better and not expose his weakness (strength) as much.

I wouldn’t be against parking him at full back either. He has a similar athletic profile to Sam De Koning from Geelong so I could see him making a go of it there too.
If there was a stat for being sat on your arse at centre bounces, Jacob would have been the comp leader - felt for him a times, and agree the best game I've seen was his first (kicked the sealer if IIRC)

They missed Pickett as sons of gun from SA
Also just dawned on me that my son played soccer against Konstansty in under 14/15 -
He was a short ass back then but he was Messi like. Scored about 40-50 goals and banging in 8 in some games.

Edwards has always seemed more of a forward that does dedicated ruck relief to me. Still has a lot of development physically to write him off for any position but he seems a clean forward with good skill and agility given his height.

After getting Sheezel & Wardlaw we would’ve had to have done a lot wrong for us to bomb in this draft.

Obviously I’m thrilled with Sheez and Wardlaw. Earlier in the year I had some concerns about Sheezel but as the year progressed his form and effort put those concerns to bed. He will add a stack of class and creativity to our forward line, while Wardlaw will replace JHF as a physical contested player.

George, is going to take some time but he has stacks of upside. He has a tonne of talent and if he had a full season he could’ve potentially pushed into the top ten. My preference with that pick was Cowan, but I can see why the club was willing to punt on George. I’ll be interested to see how their respective careers progress.

Drury, was very unlucky not to be taken in the National Draft, so it was good to see him picked up. He can play a variety of positions and has good skill and goal sense.

I’ve been saying I’d be happy for us to take another Ruck, most clubs have 4 on their list and we have been a bit light on for rucks for a while now. We’ve had good history developing rucks so I’m sure we’ll see Free progress quite quickly. The added benefit is that hopefully we’ll see Edwards being developed as a key position player where he is more suited.

My only concern for the whole draft haul is the lack of key forward picked (again), and the fact that we went with 4 half forwards in Sheezel, George, Harvey and Drury. Prior to the draft I was a fan of Drury (and I’m happy we picked him) but with other smaller half forwards in Mahony and Lazz I’m not sure it really suited us from a list balance perspective. In saying that, good on Rawlings and co for having the conviction to take him when they considered him best available!

Overall, I’m thrilled with our trade and draft period. Can’t wait to see Logue holding down CHB and Sheezel lighting up the forward line.

Thanks for all the junior footy chats and feedback throughout the year! Have really enjoyed this thread.
Great post mate, with great content over this year. Without watching the kids and knowing them intimately, statistically speaking getting 50 games is rare in AFL, particularly with the later picks in the rookie draft. I'm not unhappy about having a couple mature players who will be match fit. Like you though, I'd hope we look at some KPs for an SSP or even an MSD. Give Petric a run in our AFL squad and see if he is worth a crack. And probably further to that, the club must be pretty bullish on the 4 KPDs we have in the mix now. I'd love to see Edwards come on this season, no huge strides just some incremental improvement as the year goes on so we retain him and gives us some additional depth at either end

Yes I've been thinking for ages that we need to give Edwards a shot at playing full back before we throw in the towel on his future as a ruck. He's not as natural a forward as Comben obviously, but as you say, he moves better than X or CCJ.

I have a feeling that in anywhere from 1-3 years time from now there will be a stack of mature 20-24 year old key position players in the state leagues, this is due to many clubs not taking as many chances on projects, especially key forward projects. There has been a stack of guys with developable traits who have either not been picked up or been delisted after 2 years.

I have a feeling that in anywhere from 1-3 years time from now there will be a stack of mature 20-24 year old key position players in the state leagues, this is due to many clubs not taking as many chances on projects, especially key forward projects. There has been a stack of guys with developable traits who have either not been picked up or been delisted after 2 years.
Might not be as many as you'd think, a lot of those guys just find something else to do with their lives. Can't expect them to wait around forever

They missed Pickett as sons of gun from SA
Also just dawned on me that my son played soccer against Konstansty in under 14/15 -
He was a short ass back then but he was Messi like. Scored about 40-50 goals and banging in 8 in some games.
There’s obviously plenty of time but I’m yet to see anyone suggest that BPJ is a draftable talent outside of this board.

There’s obviously plenty of time but I’m yet to see anyone suggest that BPJ is a draftable talent outside of this board.

Most draft watchers like myself wouldn’t have had too much exposure to guys like BPJ. Generally, by this stage the average draft watcher might have an idea of 30-40 potential draft names for the following year.

Still a long way out regarding Byron Pickett Junior.

You're one of the main reasons it's been so good mate. Thanks for all your contributions. 👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back