Review 2022 AFL National (& Rookie) Draft(s) Thread II (North's picks - Sheezel, Wardlaw, B.George, Harvey, Drury,Free,Howe,Turner)

Remove this Banner Ad

NORTH MELBOURNE

Of the Kangaroosā€™ first two picks, star small forward Harry Sheezel looms as the more likely Round 1 inclusion. Competitive, skilful and agile, Sheezel will cause so much damage for the Roos forward of centre, either kicking goals himself or setting teammates in a better position to score up. Fellow top-five pick George Wardlaw has the frame to play Round 1, but you sense the Roos will be ultra-cautious with the powerful inside midfielder after his injury-interrupted 2022 campaign. Wardlaw missed the entire back-half of the year due to several hamstring setbacks. He should be training with the main group from the early stages of the pre-season, but the Roos will take no risks at the selection table. Brayden George will sit out most of 2023 as he continues his rehab from an ACL rupture, while Cooper Harvey should spend most of the year building in the VFL. Rookie acquisition Daniel Howe, obviously, will be a Round 1 chance after 96 games for Hawthorn.

Quite possibly the wankiest thing I've read on this board in a long while.

The funny thing is premium platinum BF membership only costs $20 a year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something that I realised. Drury was Vic metro captain and we took him with our first pick in the rookie draft.

Wasn't patch Vic metro captain in his draft year when we took him with our first rookie pick? If he has half the career patch had it'd be a better return than any other recent rookies

Gotta hand it to tZ, you lot keep punching and he keeps blocking.
His feet are light and nimble. He never sleeps. He says that he will never die. He dances in light and in shadow and he is a great favourite. He never sleeps, tZ. He is dancing, dancing. He says that he will never die.

After getting Sheezel & Wardlaw we wouldā€™ve had to have done a lot wrong for us to bomb in this draft.

Obviously Iā€™m thrilled with Sheez and Wardlaw. Earlier in the year I had some concerns about Sheezel but as the year progressed his form and effort put those concerns to bed. He will add a stack of class and creativity to our forward line, while Wardlaw will replace JHF as a physical contested player.

George, is going to take some time but he has stacks of upside. He has a tonne of talent and if he had a full season he couldā€™ve potentially pushed into the top ten. My preference with that pick was Cowan, but I can see why the club was willing to punt on George. Iā€™ll be interested to see how their respective careers progress.

Cooper was a given, so not much to see there.

Drury, was very unlucky not to be taken in the National Draft, so it was good to see him picked up. He can play a variety of positions and has good skill and goal sense.

Iā€™ve been saying Iā€™d be happy for us to take another Ruck, most clubs have 4 on their list and we have been a bit light on for rucks for a while now. Weā€™ve had good history developing rucks so Iā€™m sure weā€™ll see Free progress quite quickly. The added benefit is that hopefully weā€™ll see Edwards being developed as a key position player where he is more suited.

Both Howe and Turner Iā€™m very meh on. They are known quantities, with little to no upside. With Shiels coming on board I wouldā€™ve liked us to take only one of Howe or Turner then take a punt on Petric as we desperately need Key forward depth, alternatively I wouldā€™ve taken Jed Hagan over Turner as he has stacks of upside (yeah yeahā€¦I know both Petric & Hagan went undraftedā€¦that doesnā€™t mean I rate them any less but thatā€™s just my personal opinion). Fingers crossed we can get a young key forward in the Petric mould or a key defender like Phillips down to the club to trial for a potential SPP position.

My only concern for the whole draft haul is the lack of key forward picked (again), and the fact that we went with 4 half forwards in Sheezel, George, Harvey and Drury. Prior to the draft I was a fan of Drury (and Iā€™m happy we picked him) but with other smaller half forwards in Mahony and Lazz Iā€™m not sure it really suited us from a list balance perspective. In saying that, good on Rawlings and co for having the conviction to take him when they considered him best available!

Overall, Iā€™m thrilled with our trade and draft period. Canā€™t wait to see Logue holding down CHB and Sheezel lighting up the forward line.

Thanks for all the junior footy chats and feedback throughout the year! Have really enjoyed this thread.

After getting Sheezel & Wardlaw we wouldā€™ve had to have done a lot wrong for us to bomb in this draft.

Obviously Iā€™m thrilled with Sheez and Wardlaw. Earlier in the year I had some concerns about Sheezel but as the year progressed his form and effort put those concerns to bed. He will add a stack of class and creativity to our forward line, while Wardlaw will replace JHF as a physical contested player.

George, is going to take some time but he has stacks of upside. He has a tonne of talent and if he had a full season he couldā€™ve potentially pushed into the top ten. My preference with that pick was Cowan, but I can see why the club was willing to punt on George. Iā€™ll be interested to see how their respective careers progress.

Cooper was a given, so not much to see there.

Drury, was very unlucky not to be taken in the National Draft, so it was good to see him picked up. He can play a variety of positions and has good skill and goal sense.

Iā€™ve been saying Iā€™d be happy for us to take another Ruck, most clubs have 4 on their list and we have been a bit light on for rucks for a while now. Weā€™ve had good history developing rucks so Iā€™m sure weā€™ll see Free progress quite quickly. The added benefit is that hopefully weā€™ll see Edwards being developed as a key position player where he is more suited.

Both Howe and Turner Iā€™m very meh on. They are known quantities, with little to no upside. With Shiels coming on board I wouldā€™ve liked us to take only one of Howe or Turner then take a punt on Petric as we desperately need Key forward depth, alternatively I wouldā€™ve taken Jed Hagan over Turner as he has stacks of upside (yeah yeahā€¦I know both Petric & Hagan went undraftedā€¦that doesnā€™t mean I rate them any less but thatā€™s just my personal opinion). Fingers crossed we can get a young key forward in the Petric mould or a key defender like Phillips down to the club to trial for a potential SPP position.

My only concern for the whole draft haul is the lack of key forward picked (again), and the fact that we went with 4 half forwards in Sheezel, George, Harvey and Drury. Prior to the draft I was a fan of Drury (and Iā€™m happy we picked him) but with other smaller half forwards in Mahony and Lazz Iā€™m not sure it really suited us from a list balance perspective. In saying that, good on Rawlings and co for having the conviction to take him when they considered him best available!

Overall, Iā€™m thrilled with our trade and draft period. Canā€™t wait to see Logue holding down CHB and Sheezel lighting up the forward line.

Thanks for all the junior footy chats and feedback throughout the year! Have really enjoyed this thread.

Would there be any key forwards with other clubs that are free agents next year? if so, we may splash a little cash to go ready made?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back