Prediction 2022 Carlton Board Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 23, Western Bulldogs: Coby Burgiel, Gippsland Power

Midfielder/forward
183cm/80kg
9/9/04

Next biggest need is a high half-forward/mid that connects mid and attack while also hitting the scoreboard. Hotton was the first on my list for this position because he could be a Hunter replacement - hence the angry react Arr0w. But I'm happy with Burgiel here as he seems to have better forward craft which makes more sense for the Dogs who are in a flag window right now.

Sin City you're up.

PS. Can someone PLEASE bid on Michalanney???

Midfielder/forward
183cm/80kg
9/9/04

Next biggest need is a high half-forward/mid that connects mid and attack while also hitting the scoreboard. Hotton was the first on my list for this position because he could be a Hunter replacement - hence the angry react Arr0w. But I'm happy with Burgiel here as he seems to have better forward craft which makes more sense for the Dogs who are in a flag window right now.

Sin City you're up.

Great pick-up!

Midfielder/forward
183cm/80kg
9/9/04

Sin City you're up.

Toss up for me between Hotton and Burgiel rate them both in the 1st round

Pick 24 - Essendon - Mitch Szybkowski

Sorry for the delay guys, I was typing his name.

One of those rare times when needs just happens to meet best available. Szybkowski plays a role for the team a bit like Jack Viney, and I believe every great team needs a player like this. Prestia is another. These guys provide physicality, grunt work and defence but are really damaging attacking players in their own right. Szybkowski is strong, has a solid body already and uses it well. He’s a good ball winner that gets the footy out to his team mates really well but he’s also got some burst speed that takes you by surprise a bit at first. He’s underrated on the forums because there’s a few high level on ballers from Victoria this year but he’s got all the tools be a decent inside midfielder.

For Essendon, it’s no secret that they’ve been trying to fix their midfield that was full of smaller receiver types. Over the coming years they’ll be looking to shift Parish and Merrett to wing or half forward roles, McGrath has already gone to half back. They know they need some muscle at the contest. Drafting Hobbs last year was a step in the right direction, him and Szybkowski plus Perkins coming in will make a good bunch of contested ball winners to feed it out to the likes of Parish, Merrett, Caldwell, McGrath etc.

Ninja Worrier

With pick 26, Hawthorn select Henry Hustwaite from the Dandenong Stingrays

Height: 194cm
Weight: 84kg

An absolute gun who can play on the wing, inside or back flank. He's a tall ball winner with high level stoppage craft and the ability to navigate tight spots and manufacture clean exits. He has the natural ball winning nous to rack up possessions, and is wonderfully clean in his handling. Once he gets ball in hand, he's near-untouchable, fooling opponents with a deft shifts onto his left side, and knowing exactly where to release. Great composure and kicking on his left peg. Also proved himself as a distributive third tall defender early in the year.

Plays like Jordan Dawson or Scott Pendlebury

STRENGTHS:
+ Agility, clean hands, composure, decision making, disposal efficiency, vision

IMPROVEMENTS:
- Hurt factor, speed

Blugazi

With pick 26, Hawthorn select Henry Hustwaite from the Dandenong Stingrays

Height: 194cm
Weight: 84kg

An absolute gun who can play on the wing, inside or back flank. He's a tall ball winner with high level stoppage craft and the ability to navigate tight spots and manufacture clean exits. He has the natural ball winning nous to rack up possessions, and is wonderfully clean in his handling. Once he gets ball in hand, he's near-untouchable, fooling opponents with a deft shifts onto his left side, and knowing exactly where to release. Great composure and kicking on his left peg. Also proved himself as a distributive third tall defender early in the year.

Plays like Jordan Dawson or Scott Pendlebury

STRENGTHS:
+ Agility, clean hands, composure, decision making, disposal efficiency, vision

IMPROVEMENTS:
- Hurt factor, speed

Blugazi

Great value at this point IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 29 Collingwood select Isaac Keeler. With Grundy heading out and Cox not getting any younger, the Pies will bring in a bloke who could be anything. If he continues to progress he'll be the ideal KPF/Ruck.

I believe that'll be Collingwood's last pick.

La Dispute
Good job mate, Collingwood's picks are done...

Josh Weddle, Max Gruzewski, Isaac Keeler

I can't believe I am about to do this....

Pick 32 - Freo - Harry Lemmey
KPF (with a dabble at KPB), 199cm, 94kg

Intro/List Management

I am usually a best available kind of guy, but I think Freo have a really good young list with a couple of glaring weaknesses. So I am going to take needs somewhat into account.

I think they are stacked for young midfield talent (even with losing Mundy and an ageing Fyfe).

Darcy and Jackson can lead the ruck division for the next 10 years. If they need another ruck, I’d look for a mature-age state leaguer as backup.

I am a big fan of Pearce and Ryan (undersized) as KPDs, with Cox getting better. Having lost Logue and Hamling getting on, they could maybe use some backup there. I see Young as a possible perennial AA mid-sized defender.

Up forward is where it all falls apart. Freo play a handball-happy, uncontested brand of footy. They have no key forwards apart from Taberner who is a superstar one week, a non-entity the next and injured the third week.

Despite averaging the most disposals in the comp, Freo are only 11th on Inside 50s and 16th on Marks Inside 50s. Recruiting Josh Corbett is no more than a band-aid solution. They need better users inside 50 and some forward 50 targets desperately.

Pick

I am usually a conservative drafter. I look for the guys with the highest chance of success instead of the highest upside. I also get worried when a promising player goes missing in their draft year.

But despite all my instincts and better judgement, I have decided to draft Harry Lemmey.

Freo needs key forwards and I see him as the best key fwd prospect left. I think it’s unusual to find someone with his set of characteristics this late in a draft.

He is tall and athletic but is more than just an athlete. He is a strong mark, has great footy IQ, knows where to lead, runs good patterns and can roam up the wing. He also has a nice kick on him, uses the ball well, makes good decisions and will deliver the ball nicely inside 50. Fits exactly what Freo need.

So, why isn’t he at the pointy end of the draft? There are question marks over his competitiveness, he needs to improve his consistency and he was a shadow of his former self this year. He even got moved down back at one point.

I hope whomever drafts him doesn’t blood him early. I think he’s a player that could use some development, coaching and confidence at the beginning of his career. He has the tools; now to put it all together.

I see him as a boom/bust candidate. I think in a few years he’s either one of the more promising young KPPs or he’s out of the AFL system. I am willing to take that risk at this pick, as key forwards with serious upside are rare outside the first round.

There’s a chance he might be available at my later picks, but I can’t resist pulling the trigger here.

This is the exact kind of player I usually avoid selecting. I hate myself.

Also considered:

Nunya, Damn, Business.

esoteric

Adelaide will match that bid. esoteric

Pick 33- Max Michallaney

192cm 78kg medium defender

After not having much luck with father sons, Adelaide are hoping that Michallaney can develop into quality defender.
Pick 33 Bid - Matched
Value - 563 - 20% = 450 Points (pick39)

Pay
Pick 43 (378 points)
Pick 49 (287 Points)

Recieve
Pick 54 (219 points)

esoteric your up

Pick 34 GWS Phoenix Foster (Norwood)

Height: 197cm
Weight: 87kg
D.O.B: 12-09-2004

Phoenix is a big lump of a lad who has only just turned 18. He took his chance in the SA U18's when Harry Barnett missed a game with COVID and stayed in the side. He is more of a KPF than a Ruck at this stage. He finds good position, is a great contested mark, and a dependable shot for goal. His set shot kicking is a bit ungainly but very reliable. I swear it reminds me of Big Nick - check out his highlights and see if you agree.

That selection completes GWS's draft - Jhye Clark, Ed Allan, Alwyn Davey, Lachie Cowan and Phoenix Foster.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back