List Mgmt. 2022 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When is our pick? I like Phillips and thought we may use our draft pick on him but not sure if we could?

In terms of list spots do we have anymore - should have one that we are thinking SSP (Baker etc) and one Cat A rookie for whoever is best that is available (could be Sullivan but surprised Phillips gets through to us - if he is would be well credentialed).

Still think we are short in the talls going forward :) have heaps of KPF but assuming Darcy will end to up a forward/ruck then we only have Buss and Gardner over 195 as youngsters.

Keath and Jones are now players and great but if we need to play three talls in defence now we have to play Gardner,TOB or Raak (Cleary and Khamis as mediums) - the third player will play a lot if no injuries and likely to play more given the age and injury profile of those players. So much so that like Cordy the fourth tall will play a fair bit and we don’t have one now that we have lost Cordy and Schache. Of course, alternative of sending Bruce back if needed is pretty good!

Same could be said or rucks - English goes down, Sweet goes up and then Khamis has to play ruck in VFL.

Some of this is luxuries - we have never had this many genuine talls in my 53 years of following the Dogs. Just feel like we have people like West, McLean and García to a niece into midfield already and have less risk in that position.

My biggest issue with drafting Sullivan is that we’ve seen from McComb and Scott that we will play our VFL draftees, above those like West and Garcia who will only reach their potential with AFL time and have way more development and potential in them.
This is where I feel Bevo needs to change. I appreciate he likes the no frills hard work attitude that I’m sure Scott/McComb and others bring to training/game day etc however it often comes at a cost even if it’s development as you mention. I still struggle to understand why he didn’t play West in the final against Freo even for the experience. Love the man but needs to change some of the selection criteria parameters. Being a goer and hard worker gets you noticed but not the precursor for a game in the seniors. Let’s see how we go

Always a tough decision though - play the better player now and maybe win the match? or play the bloke who looks like he has a higher ceiling down the track ... and maybe lose the match?

Nine times out of 10 I'd say pick the best in-form player now. Let them go head to head for a spot in the seniors.
I agree to an extent but is someone like Scott/McComb going to be the difference to us winning a game? I doubt it, are they going to be the difference to us winning a final? Absolutely not.

Whilst there’s a balance and of course you need to put your best team on the park to win the game but you have to have an eye towards giving yourself the best possibility to be a premiership winning side. If it was always decided on win-now we probably wouldn’t have seen much of Marra or Darcy wouldn’t have gotten a game last year etc

Spot on. It’s debatable whether the output is higher - I mean I would argue Wests output as an example is higher than McComb/Scott’s and Garcias pretty bloody close. But even if you want to argue that McComb/Scott offer more now - is it by enough to justify their position over the others who are close in output but have much much much higher potential. I would argue no, but that’s the way we tend to go…

Same goes for Baker, if we do draft/list him the expectation will be that he plays round 1 and probably 15 games next year. It’s like we have to play them to justify the list spot?
I also think we overrate some of those "higher potential" players. We might see occasional flashes of brilliance but we need to see consistent output too.
West might have a case but even he was dropped for inconsistency/lower output.
I like Garcia but he has yet to convince me he has a particularly high ceiling.

I’m fine with Sullivan. The rookie draft is a 1 year contract. At worst he adds depth for a year. He would’ve played plenty of footy last year off form.

Having good depth and role players was an issue last year. So I think Sullivan is close to a known quantity that helps address the above mentioned issue.

When is our pick? I like Phillips and thought we may use our draft pick on him but not sure if we could?

In terms of list spots do we have anymore - should have one that we are thinking SSP (Baker etc) and one Cat A rookie for whoever is best that is available (could be Sullivan but surprised Phillips gets through to us - if he is would be well credentialed).

Still think we are short in the talls going forward :) have heaps of KPF but assuming Darcy will end to up a forward/ruck then we only have Buss and Gardner over 195 as youngsters.

Keath and Jones are now players and great but if we need to play three talls in defence now we have to play Gardner,TOB or Raak (Cleary and Khamis as mediums) - the third player will play a lot if no injuries and likely to play more given the age and injury profile of those players. So much so that like Cordy the fourth tall will play a fair bit and we don’t have one now that we have lost Cordy and Schache. Of course, alternative of sending Bruce back if needed is pretty good!

Same could be said or rucks - English goes down, Sweet goes up and then Khamis has to play ruck in VFL.

Some of this is luxuries - we have never had this many genuine talls in my 53 years of following the Dogs. Just feel like we have people like West, McLean and García to a niece into midfield already and have less risk in that position.

He will likely go to Norf with the 1st pick, our first isn’t until about 10 or so. Don’t expect any miracles when it will likely just end up being Sullivan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back