Autopsy 2022 Round 23 - GWS Giants v Fremantle @ Manuka Oval, 1.45 pm Saturday 20 August

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
The last game for GWS in a very disappointing year. Unfortunately, there's not really a lot to be gained from it. If we upset the Dockers, then we'll drop a spot in the national draft order, which seems pretty pointless when we need quality draftees, and Essendon may well choose a kid that we really want. And the only thing gained would be a minute amount of satisfaction at an upset win. As well, there's the risk of significant injury to our players, which - for those continuing next year with GWS - would be terrible. Of course, we can't play thinking about that, and I'm sure Spike will be out to do as well as possible and win if he can, because a possible head coach role is on the line for him.

There will be a few changes from last week. Tanner Bruhn will be out with concussion, and most likely Lachie Keeffe will be missing with a groin problem. In terms of replacements, we're getting pretty near the end of the list, although Brayden Preuss may simply come back from injury for Lachie Keefe, and Tim Taranto similarly for Bruhn. I still think we've been too tall, and I'm happy to see Leek Aleer continuing to get opportunity, so I wouldn't be averse to leaving someone like Stein out for a smaller player such as Cooper Hamilton (although having said that, I thought Stein was solid last game).

So, I think we'll see a very simplistic set of changes:
OUT - Keeffe, Bruhn
IN - Preuss, Taranto

Isaac Cumming, Sam Taylor, Nick Haynes
Adam Kennedy, Harry Himmelberg, Callum M. Brown
Josh Kelly, Harry Perryman, Lachie Whitfield
Kieren Briggs, Jake Riccardi, Callan Ward,
Tim Taranto, Jesse Hogan, Daniel Lloyd
Brayden Preuss, Jacob Hopper, Stephen Coniglio
Lachie Ash, Tom Green, Jake Stein, Leek Aleer,

I would also say Peatling for Stein.
I have just seen the rehab report stating that Peatling might be available - I'd agree.

Young midfielder Tanner Bruhn and veteran Lachlan Keeffe have both been ruled out of the GIANTS’ final game of the season.

Bruhn was diagnosed with concussion after a clash with Bulldog Zaine Cordy in the final quarter of Saturday’s loss and as he is now in the concussion protocols, is unable to play in round 23. Keeffe will also miss Saturday’s clash against the Dockers in Canberra after being subbed out of the round 22 match with a groin injury.

Midfielder Tim Taranto and small forward James Peatling are both likely to return this week after exiting the concussion protocols. The pair will need to pass their final medical requirements to be cleared to play. Ruckman Braydon Preuss will be a test this week after missing last weekend with a minor shoulder injury.

OUT - Keeffe, Bruhn, Stein
IN - Preuss, Taranto, Peatling

Isaac Cumming, Sam Taylor, Nick Haynes
Adam Kennedy, Harry Himmelberg, Callum M. Brown
Josh Kelly, Harry Perryman, Lachie Whitfield
Kieren Briggs, Jake Riccardi, James Peatling,
Tim Taranto, Jesse Hogan, Daniel Lloyd
Brayden Preuss, Jacob Hopper, Stephen Coniglio
Lachie Ash, Tom Green, Callan Ward, Leek Aleer,

Recent history says we are just a road bump for Freo.
We can't beat top 10 teams, we have a terrible run at Manuka and our win rate without Toby is not great.
The positives are we have nothing to lose, our midfield set-up will be better if Preuss plays, and could be nice a send-off for the popular interim HC Spike.
I hope our Canberran members get along in numbers and have something to cheer about.

Perryman for another match up job on Brayshaw this week, been so good at it think he'll be able to contain him pretty well. Thought we played terribly the last time we played them and they didn't really pull away until late, likely that Fyfe although still working his way back in will be playing this week. Would be great to end the season on a high with a good performance regardless of the result.

They probably need to move all the lower drawing games ie Queensland and Perth teams to Canberra till the crowds pick up again
That could happen.
David Matthews has a pretty good understanding of what family friendly time slots we need at GS to bring in decent crowds.
We've had no favours this year with COVID-hesitancy, weather, bad form, lack of advertising and poor public transport.

While we're talking about it - No games at Giants Stadium whilst the Easter Show is on (including setup/pull down).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Suprises with the team announcement with Peatling and Taranto in

Hamilton and XOH on the emergencies list along with Fleeton and Sproule

Gameday
Gameday for the final match of the season for us.

It's overcast, cool and a bit windy in Canberra. Currently 6 degrees, feeling like 2 degrees with the wind, and forecast to be only around 9 degrees at the start of the game. The wind has increased since earlier this morning; hopefully it will die back down before the game, otherwise it will be a somewhat unpleasant spectator experience. If you're coming down to the game (not that I expect many will), rug up!

Teams:

GWS v FRE.png
I'm hoping to see us fight out a close game, not let Freo run rampant, but I'll be happy enough if we lose and confirm third pick in the national draft - it's one of the few positives to look forward to out of this season.

The wind has increased since earlier this morning; hopefully it will die back down before the game, otherwise it will be a somewhat unpleasant spectator experience.
You have a way with words, GS.

I'll translate for everyone else.

It's bloody freezing down here in Camberra. 🥶

An honorable loss here would suit just fine. I doubt it'll make a huge difference to our draft pick but without Toby forward I think we just lack the firepower against there defenders.
I reckon they'll play fast. Opposite of last week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back