Analysis 2023 Bloods' Performance Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting finals experience in a young team is never pointless. Learning how to come back into form after starting badly is a really important lesson (both in a game and a season). We should absolutely be a club where making finals is considered the standard. We hopefully never allow a culture of "well we aren't trying the window so we can let standards drop, who cares if we make finals or not" to form. That's how you get a decade of mediocrity a la Essendon etc.
Playing as we are we're far from a flag, but our best football remains very good. The goal has to be to work through the poor form, find good form, by the end of of year and play our best footy in the finals.
Totally agree but also it risks the club becoming delusional about thinking they are closer than they are which is what we've seen recently.
Happy to make finals but also at the same time recognise we need to get more quality players in and not think we are better than we are.

So yes make finals but don't kid ourselves.

Trading and Drafting has been pretty bloody average the last two years .

Grand final smashing curse is real. Coaches should address the elephant in the room that we arent contending this year - not even close. If we can get 10-12th on the ladde and get our team cohesion back together by seasons end, it will be a good result for a tilt next year.
Mate I like the don’t throw the baby out with bath water attitude but there is not going to be no tilt next year with this group. Sides don’t play with the attitude we are playing with atm, finish bottom half of the ladder and miraculously flick the switch and win the flag next year. We’ve missed the boat. Franklin, Reid, Rampe, Hickey McCartin all done. You trust the rest of the group to step up and serious challenge for flag next year ?

Mate I like the don’t throw the baby out with bath water attitude but there is not going to be no tilt next year with this group. Sides don’t play with the attitude we are playing with atm, finish bottom half of the ladder and miraculously flick the switch and win the flag next year. We’ve missed the boat. Franklin, Reid, Rampe, Hickey McCartin all done. You trust the rest of the group to step up and serious challenge for flag next year ?
Well why not?

Interesting table here, basically if we had kicked straighter and our opponents not as straight (as expected) then we would be 5-2 instead of 3-4.

(Cue responses of 'bad kicking is bad football')

Interesting table here, basically if we had kicked straighter and our opponents not as straight (as expected) then we would be 5-2 instead of 3-4.

It's something the team should look at and ram home the importance of taking chances /making the right choice

I also think we are too easy to score against

Well why not?
Because the replacements so far have proven to not be good enough, tough enough and have the right psychological approach. I have always worried about us letting good leads vanish. That is a sign of weakness. A real chance at a premiership does not do that. They kill sides off

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's something the team should look at and ram home the importance of taking chances /making the right choice

The expected scores from the Giants game. Despite the awful set shot misses by Heeney, Franklin and I think Hayward on the whole we matched our expected score. The Giants on the other hand kicked +22 over expected score, which is probably quite obvious when they were 17.5.

I came into this year thinking we weren't going to challenge for the flag - so few teams go from getting smashed in a GF to being right up for it again. There's always residual damage. And alongside injuries, there's clearly something going on with this side.

However, I don't think all is lost and some of the alarmism about us having thrown our potential golden age away has been way over the top imo. I can see us having a big 2nd half of the year as we get some troops back, the young guys continue to stack games together, and we begin the farewell to Bud. Think it's very conceivable we go on a bit of a run to make the bottom half of the 8 to end the year with some big momentum behind giving Bud a proper send-off. This period will also be invaluable for the middle tier guys like Florent, Blakey, Hayward, Rowbottom, Campbell, Logan, and Errol. They've got a lot of responsibility right now on their shoulders and will learn a lot from it. I'm not doom and gloom right now - probably mainly because I never thought we were going to seriously contend this year and rather next year and beyond, when heaps of our young core will be hitting the 70-140 games bracket. THat's when we'll be truly ready for year on year contention imo. This year is a development year to me. Doesn't mean I wasn't shattered with the Geelong and GWS games though. * they sucked.

Expected score is nonsense imo. The media were trying to use that last year to show that we werent as good as the ladder showed.

Expected score doesn't take into account that if you kick a behind and set up behind the ball for an intercept and another shot at goal you then have dbl the 'expected score' because now there's 2 shots instead of 1.

You get a much higher expected score with repeated behinds that you wouldn't get by kicking the goal

I came into this year thinking we weren't going to challenge for the flag - so few teams go from getting smashed in a GF to being right up for it again. There's always residual damage. And alongside injuries, there's clearly something going on with this side.

However, I don't think all is lost and some of the alarmism about us having thrown our potential golden age away has been way over the top imo. I can see us having a big 2nd half of the year as we get some troops back, the young guys continue to stack games together, and we begin the farewell to Bud. Think it's very conceivable we go on a bit of a run to make the bottom half of the 8 to end the year with some big momentum behind giving Bud a proper send-off. This period will also be invaluable for the middle tier guys like Florent, Blakey, Hayward, Rowbottom, Campbell, Logan, and Errol. They've got a lot of responsibility right now on their shoulders and will learn a lot from it. I'm not doom and gloom right now - probably mainly because I never thought we were going to seriously contend this year and rather next year and beyond, when heaps of our young core will be hitting the 70-140 games bracket. THat's when we'll be truly ready for year on year contention imo. This year is a development year to me. Doesn't mean I wasn't shattered with the Geelong and GWS games though. * they sucked.
Good post IMO.

I look at our list this year and there are two players who I think have had genuinely good years: Dane Rampe & Jake Lloyd. And one of them has missed and will continue to miss a substantial part of it.

That leaves a very large cohort of players who are simply a lot better than what they have been so far. So I find it hard to believe they won't find their flow again. How much of the season there is left to salvage when they do... that will be the big question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good post IMO.

I look at our list this year and there are two players who I think have had genuinely good years: Dane Rampe & Jake Lloyd. And one of them has missed and will continue to miss a substantial part of it.

That leaves a very large cohort of players who are simply a lot better than what they have been so far. So I find it hard to believe they won't find their flow again. How much of the season there is left to salvage when they do... that will be the big question.

Yeh Rampe was brilliant til he got hurt, as was McCartin. Lloyd has been our most consistent player for sure given he's played all 7 so far. Campbell has definitely improved so far, same with Logan.

A lot of the rest of them have been substantially inconsistent. Some have had world-beater games like Blakey, Florent, Papley, Ladhams, Parker, Chad, Errol only for the next week to be quiet as church mice. Then Heeney hasn't found his groove yet, Mills has been thrown all over the place and seemingly lost his first-choice centre-bounce status. Rowbottom has been playing truck and trailer with the best opposition mids for 2 months. Hayward has been consistent but not quite taken a next step up.

Yeh Rampe was brilliant til he got hurt, as was McCartin. Lloyd has been our most consistent player for sure given he's played all 7 so far. Campbell has definitely improved so far, same with Logan.

A lot of the rest of them have been substantially inconsistent. Some have had world-beater games like Blakey, Florent, Papley, Ladhams, Parker, Chad, Errol only for the next week to be quiet as church mice. Then Heeney hasn't found his groove yet, Mills has been thrown all over the place and seemingly lost his first-choice centre-bounce status. Rowbottom has been playing truck and trailer with the best opposition mids for 2 months. Hayward has been consistent but not quite taken a next step up.
Those you mentioned like Campbell and McDonald have definitely improved, and played some really good footy. They've also played some really poor footy. Relative to where they're at, they've had good years, but relative to where we need them and the rest of our players to be, they're not there yet.

You're spot on with everyone else. Frustrating few months so far.

Expected score is nonsense imo. The media were trying to use that last year to show that we werent as good as the ladder showed.

Expected score doesn't take into account that if you kick a behind and set up behind the ball for an intercept and another shot at goal you then have dbl the 'expected score' because now there's 2 shots instead of 1.

You get a much higher expected score with repeated behinds that you wouldn't get by kicking the goal

Yeah it’s not a 100% scientific measure, but it’s also not meaningless.

You missed Amartey too before he got injured. Took his opportunity against Hawthorn and then went missing against Melbourne and Port before finding form again against Richmond and then got injured in the same game.

Inconsistency seems to be our motto

I’d be happy by season end if we are clear on who’s going to make it and cut those that won’t. Also, err on the side of retiring players if it’s a 50/50 as the final year is usually regrettable. This we can control.

We need to be bold with list management.

Just realised we're a third of the way through the season, so thought I'd give my views on each of our players who have played in the seniors this year in one sentence or less.

Chad Warner - A gun but a frustrating one.

Hayden McLean - Has a part to play and just needs to keep at it.

Dylan Stephens - Pretty disappointing after a supposedly big pre-season.

Ryan Clarke - He is what he is and that's OK.

Isaac Heeney - Bitterly disappointing so far.

Harry Cunningham - Still not seeing what he's offering that others can't.

James Rowbottom - Massively wasted but probably top 5 in B&F so far.

Will Hayward - Frustrating.

Aaron Francis - Has a part to play and just needs to keep at it.

Tom Papley - Less bathwater, more basics.

Ollie Florent - Great start but has dropped off.

Callum Mills - Hard to judge him when his role changes so much.

Braeden Campbell - Been a positive this year but don't like his role.

Will Gould - Don't know why we re-signed him when we clearly don't rate him.

Peter Ladhams - Another positive who will only get better.

Errol Gulden - Had some exposure on the inside but belongs on the outside for now.

Nick Blakey - Still a bit of a tease for now.

Buddy Franklin - He is what he is now but will always be a legend.

Dane Rampe - Was sensational before ******* injuries.

Luke Parker - No comment.

Justin McInerney - Needs to prove himself and make a statement.

Angus Sheldrick - Keep at it kid.

Tom McCartin - Been really good and good chance at Skilton Medal so far.

Marc Sheather - Unlucky son :(

Matty Roberts - He's worked hard to be in the frame and he can do it again.

Joel Amartey - ******* injuries.

Corey Warner - Keep at it kid.

Paddy McCartin - Just wish him and his family the best no matter what happens.

Robbie Fox - Alexa play "I Love You Always Forever" by Donna Lewis.

Jake Lloyd - Skilton Medal number 3 incoming.

Just realised we're a third of the way through the season, so thought I'd give my views on each of our players who have played in the seniors this year in one sentence or less.

Chad Warner - A gun but a frustrating one.

Hayden McLean - Has a part to play and just needs to keep at it.

Dylan Stephens - Pretty disappointing after a supposedly big pre-season.

Ryan Clarke - He is what he is and that's OK.

Isaac Heeney - Bitterly disappointing so far.

Harry Cunningham - Still not seeing what he's offering that others can't.

James Rowbottom - Massively wasted but probably top 5 in B&F so far.

Will Hayward - Frustrating.

Aaron Francis - Has a part to play and just needs to keep at it.

Tom Papley - Less bathwater, more basics.

Ollie Florent - Great start but has dropped off.

Callum Mills - Hard to judge him when his role changes so much.

Braeden Campbell - Been a positive this year but don't like his role.

Will Gould - Don't know why we re-signed him when we clearly don't rate him.

Peter Ladhams - Another positive who will only get better.

Errol Gulden - Had some exposure on the inside but belongs on the outside for now.

Nick Blakey - Still a bit of a tease for now.

Buddy Franklin - He is what he is now but will always be a legend.

Dane Rampe - Was sensational before ******* injuries.

Luke Parker - No comment.

Justin McInerney - Needs to prove himself and make a statement.

Angus Sheldrick - Keep at it kid.

Tom McCartin - Been really good and good chance at Skilton Medal so far.

Marc Sheather - Unlucky son :(

Matty Roberts - He's worked hard to be in the frame and he can do it again.

Joel Amartey - ******* injuries.

Corey Warner - Keep at it kid.

Paddy McCartin - Just wish him and his family the best no matter what happens.

Robbie Fox - Alexa play "I Love You Always Forever" by Donna Lewis.

Jake Lloyd - Skilton Medal number 3 incoming.
I’d amend Stephens to: must be frustrated after a good start to the season before having two quiet games & once again becoming Horse’s sacrificial lamb.

I’d amend Stephens to: must be frustrated after a good start to the season before having two quiet games & once again becoming Horse’s sacrificial lamb.
As you know I am not a Stephens critic. I rate him, I just think outside of a great round 1 performance and a few isolated plays where his advocates have been able to say, "See! He's not soft!", he hasn't done much this year and his dropping was justified. Acknowledge his work rate is immense though.

I think we need to look at what the fitness coaches have done this, year. It has been a bad year fitness wise. Too many injuries but players have no endurance. They are all wiped out by 3/4 time.

As for Bud, he has been a champion but he is just a player at the moment. Our leading goal kickers are Paps, Logan and Willy. We need to look to the future. If that means Icing Franklin so be it.

Worried about our outside speed. I was thì King Mặc cả and Stwvo were pretty quick but those young Cats boys left them for dead.

Sad about Sheather. He was looking OK.

Hickey is, ready but not ready. McAndrew got 33 HO & 20 disposals.
Hickey got 38 HO & 13 Disposals. Lack of disposals is a worry.

I am wondering how Rankin is going?

Melican was pretty ordinary and showed just what not having a Pre-season does.

Hall-Khan must be close. Last year he kicked 5 in his first game at half forward. Then Laidker decided he'd make a good winger. Sometimes the coaches at the Swans worry me. If you have a winning formula don't stuff around with it

A bit worried about this year's draftees. None of them look likely.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Regarding the goal kicking, it's woeful from all of them.
For example, I'd back Hayward from 50m out on an angle but from 30-35 on the same angle he's 50/50 at best.
There is a fear in their eyes when taking a set shot.
My impression is that we seem to stab at the ball on the shorter shots, whereas on the longer shots we are forced to kick through the ball.
Heeney in particular seems to dab at the footy on the short shots.
Maybe the coaching is to pass it to that person in the crowd, but IMO that person should be in the third tier.
Or maybe kick so the ball passes the goal line two thirds up post height, either ascending or descending. This will produce more commitment to the shot.
It's a bit like a half wedge in golf. Full wedge distance you can go at it, whereas trying to finesse a half wedge is much more difficult.
The other thing is kicking straight. Peter Hudson used to say that you had to run in straight. Drop the ball straight. Swing the leg straight. Everything straight at the target. Even when drop punting they swerve to one side, then they are forced to kick across their bodies.
As for the round the corner kicks it seems that is all they practice, skylarking shots from the boundary. That's why Hayward wants to kick round the corner 35 out on a slight angle. He hasn't practiced drop punts.
IMO they need to:
1. Practice goal kicking ffs
1. Take ownership of the shot
2. Commit to a full kick
3. Commit to the process of kicking STRAIGHT.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back