Analysis 2023 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry just being truthful, a 22 year old kid earning huge bucks being a minor celebrity in Australia playing footy doesn't want to be around cold rainy Hobart year round where there's bugger all night life and bugger all people. Had 3 mates go down there for sporting opportunities after school and all of them absolutely hated it and I can't blame them after being there myself for a few weeks.

Each to their own though, some players like playing in GWS but they've at least got good weather year round for the most part.
Different scenario here when he has family and friends there and will be on a lot more money for the new team. Hate to put 4 years of development into him and then he goes and we start all over again with a new top pick. How would we feel if it was Walsh and he left this year after 4 years in the system and we get a top 5 pick for him.

If we had Mckercher and Cowan for another 4 years but won a flag with them would you care if they wanted to go home anyway?
Voss is very reluctant to drop any of his favourite mids.
Who would you think makes way for McKercher next year?

I still think a forward/mid with great disposal is the area where we should spend our first pick. But also see the benefits of Coona's first choice, Curtin.

Well looking at the ladder we're in an unfortunate position with Melbourne/Freo's pick. Freo's fixture is that bad they may not win another game outside of WCE if we beat them on the weekend.

That will leave the Dees with a certain top 5 pick and every chance they'd take Mckercher for some outside run. Can only hope they go for a forward half player like Caddy or Duursma if that happens and we don't get too far away from around pick 6.

Nothing would **** me more than if we go on a win streak that destroys our draft hand only to miss finals by a slither again due to our poor patch earlier in the year.

Nah. Take me on a win streak. That will do a hell of a lot more for our group than a slightly more talented 18 year old kid.

Our draft hand won’t be destroyed by winning a few games. We don’t even hold our second or third round picks.

Voss is very reluctant to drop any of his favourite mids.
Who would you think makes way for McKercher next year?

I still think a forward/mid with great disposal is the area where we should spend our first pick. But also see the benefits of Coona's first choice, Curtin.
Think Mckercher would play Cunners/Fishers role as a high half forward to start with with splits on the wing. Would push up to around the ground stoppages to add pace to our mix. He's not a centre bounce maestro and probably a bit too weak to start his career there just like Walshy was but great at spreading and transitioning the ball from stoppage.

Within a couple of years though depending on the mix he'd replace Hewett/Kennedy leaving a main mix of Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Mckercher. Perhaps by then Crippa is slowing down and we don't see him as much but he'd be there to balance out our lack of speed and acceleration.

Well looking at the ladder we're in an unfortunate position with Melbourne/Freo's pick. Freo's fixture is that bad they may not win another game outside of WCE if we beat them on the weekend.

That will leave the Dees with a certain top 5 pick and every chance they'd take Mckercher for some outside run. Can only hope they go for a forward half player like Caddy or Duursma if that happens and we don't get too far away from around pick 6.

Nothing would **** me more than if we go on a win streak that destroys our draft hand only to miss finals by a slither again due to our poor patch earlier in the year.
I don't suppose he avoids booze buses for a hobby by any chance?

If we had Mckercher and Cowan for another 4 years but won a flag with them would you care if they wanted to go home anyway?
If we were trying to win a grand final in four years then I think there would be much better options.
I’d take best available, Tasmanian or not but there is absolutely no doubt that every decent young Tasmanian player is going to get offered massive overs to go back to Tasmania.

McKercher pace in the open is suited to the modern game and will create a lot of interest looks a top 4 to me but will he be taken there.

Could go something like this
Pick 1 Reid
" " 2 Walter (GC match bid)
" " 3 Curtin Nth replacing McKay if he leaves.
" " 4 Hawthorn might go Watson to eventually replace Bruest or Caddy to fill the hole Gunstan has left. The way they look without Sicily they might even target a defender, they look less likely to go a mid it looks solid.
The way I see it if we want McKercher we have to try and get our hands on GC first but without a second and third might be a bridge to far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McKercher pace in the open is suited to the modern game and will create a lot of interest looks a top 4 to me but will he be taken there.

Could go something like this
Pick 1 Reid
" " 2 Walter (GC match bid)
" " 3 Curtin Nth replacing McKay if he leaves.
" " 4 Hawthorn might go Watson to eventually replace Bruest or Caddy to fill the hole Gunstan has left. The way they look without Sicily they might even target a defender, they look less likely to go a mid it looks solid.
The way I see it if we want McKercher we have to try and get our hands on GC first but without a second and third might be a bridge to far.
Big question marks are

1: Will North get Band 1 compo for Mckay?
2: Where will we finish?
3: Does WCE trade pick 1 to GWS?
4: Do we finish above Freo on the ladder?

If we finish bottom 5, WCE keep pick 1 and North don't get band 1 compo for Mckay I think he makes it to us. Any other variables and it becomes much less certain.

Reid
Walter
Curtin
Caddy
Watson
Mckercher
Duursma
Sanders
O'Sullivan
Edwards

Is what I think the top 10 is after the champs games so far with another to come this weekend Allies vs Country.

How I think things will pan out if the order remains the same. Sydney I don't believe will go for a Mid regardless of if they finish below us, if they did I think they'd swing towards Sanders given their midfield needs bigger bodies more than it needs small zippy types like Mckercher. Melbourne I think would take Mckercher in a heartbeat and are a real chance of finishing below us if we beat Freo this weekend.

WCE - Reid
GCS - Walter
North - Curtin
Hawks - Caddy
GWS - Watson
Carlton - Mckercher
Sydney - O'Sullivan
Melb - Duursma
GWS - Edwards
Geelong - Sanders

Requested Noober put this together for Collard, not sure about his story or his consistency but seems like a real Bobby Hill type with his speed and ability to bob up for a goal without really contributing a heap around the ground. Electric pace.

Arr0w you might know a bit more about him than me? Seems like a type of player you'd quite like

I reckon based on where I see us finishing on the ladder we end up with sanders
Would hope not, he's a big bullocking inside mid which would probably be the last thing we'd need. He's a good player but I'd almost rather trade down if we were left with Sanders out of that top 10. We're sorted for inside ball winners for the next 5ish years imo.

Requested Noober put this together for Collard, not sure about his story or his consistency but seems like a real Bobby Hill type with his speed and ability to bob up for a goal without really contributing a heap around the ground. Electric pace.

Arr0w you might know a bit more about him than me? Seems like a type of player you'd quite like

NGA for WC, talented, can play up the ground and has had a couple of decent bags, kicking 6 in a game. Real quick and decent overhead

NGA for WC, talented, can play up the ground and has had a couple of decent bags, kicking 6 in a game. Real quick and decent overhead
Thanks, who's on your wish list for the draft this time around Arrow? Very unusual spread of talent for this crop compared to other years.

Back to 15th 😍😬
Tom And Jerry Eating GIF

Jet Walter (GCS) - An absolute behemoth up forward, one of the most athletic specimens I've seen come through. Reminds me of a much more agile Tom Boyd coming through, seriously difficult to match up on with his speed, strength and Naughton like attack on the ball in the air. In my opinion he is the most likely to be the best player from this draft, I think Reid has a higher floor but Walter the highest ceiling. IMO would go pick 1 if he wasn't tied to GCS.
Only seen him play once, but reminded me of a key position Cameron Zurhaar. I don't think I've ever seen a junior key position player play with so much aggression. Harley Reid will be amazing. I think this dude could well be generational.

Only seen him play once, but reminded me of a key position Cameron Zurhaar. I don't think I've ever seen a junior key position player play with so much aggression. Harley Reid will be amazing. I think this dude could well be generational.
Yeah I have him number 1 in my rankings. Won't go 1 on draft night but in my opinion he's the best prospect in the crop. Made Curtin look B grade and Curtin is likely the highest picked KPD to come through since Weitering

Remove this Banner Ad

Back