Analysis 2023 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching Port with Rozee Butters and JHF just makes me want Mckercher more. Having that sort of acceleration coming out of stoppage is simply a game changer in certain situations.

Walsh and Mckercher bursting out of stoppages for 10 years

Sad Please Please Please GIF by myHQ

Austin find a way to get him if you cant get us the Wizard!

In watching Duursma's vid one name kept coming up as much as Zane's.
Tom Anastasopoulos. He linked up with Duursma quite often, finished with at least 2 goals and seems to have space to deliver.
Where abouts would he sit in the draft range?

Essentially we're looking for a Mid/Fwd hybrid with the ability to win games off their own boot. Duursma, Watson and Wilson at the front of the queue. I'd imagine a trade up may be on the cards if thats the case.

Essentially we're looking for a Mid/Fwd hybrid with the ability to win games off their own boot. Duursma, Watson and Wilson at the front of the queue. I'd imagine a trade up may be on the cards if thats the case.

Don't see us trading up, nor do I believe Duursma and Watson will be available at our current pick

Wilson should be around the mark

Just looking through the 2023 draft picks. For a team currently sitting 4th on the ladder, Melbourne have a great draft hand....almost frighteningly so, after the Jackson trade from last year.

Currently they have picks 4, 15 and 23 - which probably won't change a lot between now and the end of the season. Picks 15 and 23 they could easily trade to GCS for their current pick 5....giving the Demons picks 4, 5 and 34 in this draft, without even compromising their 2024 draft hand.

Which also means they could potentially trade picks 4 and 5 to WCE in a deal to get Harley Reid. Or if they hang onto those picks - and assuming North take say McKercher at #2 and Hawks take Curtin at #3, the Demons could take any combo of Watson/Duursma/Sanders/O'Sullivan/Caddy.

Picks 15 and 23 they could easily trade to GCS for their current pick 5....giving the Demons picks 4, 5 and 34 in this draft, without even compromising their 2024 draft hand.
That trade is essentially worthless for the Suns (+49 points). Even if the Dees were to throw in #34, I reckon Suns will get better offers.

That trade is essentially worthless for the Suns (+49 points). Even if the Dees were to throw in #34, I reckon Suns will get better offers.
You may be right there....although at first glance the only other club that could potentially better that offer is the Dogs with picks 14 and 16. Gives the Suns an additional 350 points if the Dogs want to trade up.

You may be right there....although at first glance the only other club that could potentially better that offer is the Dogs with picks 14 and 16. Gives the Suns an additional 350 points if the Dogs want to trade up.
Even that's not a great trade for them.

I'm sure they'll wait till deeper into the trade period when player movement changes the picks that clubs can offer, but also I assume that future picks will probably be involved, given #5's value.
They'll probably be able to do multiple downgrades to get points and future value.

I’m pretty non plussed by what we’ll have available at our pick. Though I’m much happier that we have a good team to enjoy.

I’m wondering whether Lemmey might be better suited going back to defence and we look at grabbing Archer Reid. He’s got clean hands and neat skills. Not sold on his physicality but Harry wasn’t the most physical either.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Seems a bit pointless with how quickly our pick is sliding down the order... But a huge almost game from Duursma. Did everything but hit his kicks this game. Athletically can see all the reasons he's so highly touted together in this vid, marking on the lead, turn of pace, agility, power. Would be a good get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems a bit pointless with how quickly our pick is sliding down the order... But a huge almost game from Duursma. Did everything but hit his kicks this game. Athletically can see all the reasons he's so highly touted together in this vid, marking on the lead, turn of pace, agility, power. Would be a good get.
We'd probably have to trade our 1st + F1 to Gold Coast to be a chance, and I'm not sure they take that deal.

Even that's not a great trade for them.

I'm sure they'll wait till deeper into the trade period when player movement changes the picks that clubs can offer, but also I assume that future picks will probably be involved, given #5's value.
They'll probably be able to do multiple downgrades to get points and future value.

Generally I’d agree, but this is GC, who gave a 18-25 player and pick 7 and got nothing in return.

Getting towards that time of year. Been doing a bit of replay and highlight watching of late.

My first obsversation was that we could do with a running classy forward/mid around the Pick 12 to 15 range. so i had a good look at Darcy Wilson who sounded a perfect fit on paper.

Did not like. Not one bit. Can't understand his rating personally. Screams No at AFL level to me.

Getting towards that time of year. Been doing a bit of replay and highlight watching of late.

My first obsversation was that we could do with a running classy forward/mid around the Pick 12 to 15 range. so i had a good look at Darcy Wilson who sounded a perfect fit on paper.

Did not like. Not one bit. Can't understand his rating personally. Screams No at AFL level to me.
Curious as a Darcy Wilson fan what has turned you off him so much?

Curious as a Darcy Wilson fan what has turned you off him so much?

Just that in my mind, i didn't see an AFL player in his game. I saw a smart footballer who at junior level knows his way onto a stat sheet but didn't see much AFL potential. Didn't like his competitiveness. Didn't like his kicking style and penetration. Sorta kicks across it. Not sure it will hold up under pressure. And he plays with his foot hovering over the brake at some critical times.

It probably sounds like he pinched my lunch money at school lol, but really, i went in hoping to like what i saw. But i didn't.

Plenty others seem as though they do though, so we'll see.

keen on Connor O'Sullivan if our pick is sliding down, but maybe out of reach too

Yes it seems unlikely O’Sullivan will be an option for us. If you would like a key defender Ollie Murphy might be more realistic.

Will be interested to see how Murphy finishes the year. Hope he continues to improve. The first highlights l saw of him seemed more like lowlights. He has had good performances since and played a good game on Jed walters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Just that in my mind, i didn't see an AFL player in his game. I saw a smart footballer who at junior level knows his way onto a stat sheet but didn't see much AFL potential. Didn't like his competitiveness. Didn't like his kicking style and penetration. Sorta kicks across it. Not sure it will hold up under pressure. And he plays with his foot hovering over the brake at some critical times.

It probably sounds like he pinched my lunch money at school lol, but really, i went in hoping to like what i saw. But i didn't.

Yes lve got question marks over Wilson’s contested game. It’s been mentioned in a number of places that’s it’s the area he’s had to improve. He does have some really good qualities though.

It worries me he will be a bit of a flakey footballer at afl level who struggles to win his own ball and just lacks that competitiveness and physicality.

The guy lve got an eye on is Tholstrup. Strong body, competitive, looks like a really nice kick, can run all day l believe. Only issues might be speed and agility. I think when we took Cowan a point was made about recruiting guys who were aggressive and competive. I forget the exact words. Tholstrup could fit that bill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Very much agree. This board plays with the “vanilla” tag, but it fits him to a tee. Does do a lot “well”, just seems to lack intensity and good old fashioned grunt to get to the highest level. Accumulator/seagull, they are disappearing from the game.

In fairness it is possible for anyone to step up in a professional environment so harsh to write him off, but I call it as I see it. Would be correct that he will be in our range, and if we are set on a positional type there is not much else.

I am much more in the Koltyn Tholstrup camp, despite his abominable haircut. Spoken if as a Zurhaar type, but I see a bit more. Certainly more physically ready, good tank capable as (high) half forward, wing, mid and likely HBF. Hits scoreboard and is a good link type with plenty of grunt.

It is very hard to be wedded to a player in our range at this stage, unlike previous years. Caddy may slide that far, but I while impressed at what he can offer, I often shudder at his lack of intent at the contest. I see KPD as a growing priority. Can’t see us getting near Curtin or O’Sullivan as KPD, Ollie Murphy perhaps in the range as a key option, but has questions at ground level, and is a bean pole needing plenty of development. SA’s skipper Patton, I like a lot, but while versatile to play on talls and small’s, standing 193cm, he may not get to genuine key position status. Would at very least offer similar to Kemp, probably more defensive minded though. Would not be a bad investment, but my head says we need the next genuine KPD developing very soon, and we may be restricted to the Campo boys next draft. Hoping Patton grows a couple of centimetres quickly.

That hf/mid that we are looking for is the highest risk pick. So many don't make it as mids and find that there is much less space to work in playing AFL. Troy Menzel comes to mind for Carlton. Even when they do work out they go through patches where they don't look like they are up to it (Gary Rohan, WHE)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back