Autopsy 2023 Round 3 – GWS Giants vs Carlton, Saturday, April 1, 4.35PM AEST, @Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

The GWS Giants are “privately seething” at the crucial dissent free kick which swung the game late in their loss to Carlton on Saturday.

In an eventual 10-point win for the Blues, Jesse Motlop booted a goal at the 15-minute mark of the final term that had Carlton a point up. But the controversy that led to Motlop's goal has become the key talking point, with suggestions GWS was wrongly undone late in the game. Motlop was awarded the free kick directly infront 15 metres out for dissent against Stephen Coniglio, who raised his arms at a missed free kick in the play prior. Umpire audio released overnight suggests there was no ugly language from the former GWS skipper and was only penalised because of his action.

It’s a free kick at odds with the trend across the league, and given the timing of the score, SEN’s Tom Morris reports GWS are privately furious. “It was at a crucial time of the game and it was a free kick for an action that we see dozens of times a game and hundreds of time a round.” He added: “The umpire, via the audio from Fox Footy, makes it clear it's not what he says, it’s the fact his arms are out when we’ve learnt last year that players are allowed to extend their arms. We’re waiting on the AFL call here whether this was correct or not and I sense – without knowing for sure – that the AFL wants to back the umpires at all points, but this was an incorrect adjudication of what dissent actually is.” Arms out did warrant a free kick on a few occasions early last season, however the AFL privately softened the rule mid-year to bring the rule into more common sense areas.

Former Essendon star Scott Lucas believes it’s crystal clear to see the umpire made a blunder. “No, let’s be honest it’s ridiculous,” he responded when asked if Coniglio’s action constituted dissent. “He’s just wrong. I understand we need to be respectful to our officials, but there is a context to the game and the importance and the stakes. Understand that players will get emotional… it’s just too big a penalty.”

And when a Melbourne media personality who hates GWS agrees it's ridiculous ... you know it's crap!

Club angry over incorrect free-kick decision, is there really much of a story here?

Club angry over incorrect free-kick decision, is there really much of a story here?
I suppose it's a way of making it unofficially-official that we're pissed.
It was two terrible and game-changing decisions in 5 seconds, so good that this story got written.

I noticed the Swans got hit with a couple of dissent penalties in an attempt to water-down the noise from Saturday.

Yes its subjective, but channel 7 in its weekly power rankings after the end of the weekend round, had us ranked 11th

11. GWS Giants​

It could be a year of almosts for the Adam Kingsley-led Giants. Almost got over the line against Carlton in a see-sawing battle on Saturday, even holding a slender lead half way through the last quarter. Only team to lose to the Eagles

Yes its subjective, but channel 7 in its weekly power rankings after the end of the weekend round, had us ranked 11th

11. GWS Giants​

It could be a year of almosts for the Adam Kingsley-led Giants. Almost got over the line against Carlton in a see-sawing battle on Saturday, even holding a slender lead half way through the last quarter. Only team to lose to the Eagles

Think that seems about right, we're about average for points for and against through 3 games so seems fair

This guy should be in charge of the AFL ... much more (perhaps too) sensible!

Former veteran AFL umpire Dean Margetts disagrees with the league’s defence of the dissent free kick paid against GWS star Stephen Coniglio. Margetts, who now works as Umpiring Operations Manager for the WAFL, believes the AFL has created a free kick that is impossible to adjudicate consistently.

“I have to disagree with the AFL on this one,” Margetts told SEN’s Sportsday WA. “In my 20 years and 370-odd games I never felt offended or affronted by a player with a passionate plea with their arms out. It’s usually like an emotional plea. Look, if a player comes at you pointing and screaming and the mouthguard is coming out – absolutely, that’s demonstrative behaviour for sure, but in the Coniglio case it wasn’t on the TV, it wasn’t on the screen and I think you had to zoom in from behind the goals to even find it. I think if we’re not paying that, I’ve got absolutely no doubt in my mind that we’re not saying that’s a missed dissent free kick.”

“I watched St Kilda/Essendon on the Saturday night and I think Mason Redman looked up at the scoreboard and put his arms out and said ‘what’s that for’, and nothing was paid. The inconsistency we create is probably the concern and I’ve certainly instructed our WAFL umpires that unless it is really clear that you’re feeling personally offended, but the impassioned plea, we don’t want that being paid.”

“Up until two years ago I didn’t even know what the word ‘dissent’ meant. Is it umpire abuse? Is it demonstrative behaviour? I think the umpire would’ve noticed his arms out from 20-30 metres away. We’re talking about a decision that didn’t need to be played that detracted from a close game of AFL footy.”

This guy should be in charge of the AFL ... much more (perhaps too) sensible!

Former veteran AFL umpire Dean Margetts disagrees with the league’s defence of the dissent free kick paid against GWS star Stephen Coniglio. Margetts, who now works as Umpiring Operations Manager for the WAFL, believes the AFL has created a free kick that is impossible to adjudicate consistently.

“I have to disagree with the AFL on this one,” Margetts told SEN’s Sportsday WA. “In my 20 years and 370-odd games I never felt offended or affronted by a player with a passionate plea with their arms out. It’s usually like an emotional plea. Look, if a player comes at you pointing and screaming and the mouthguard is coming out – absolutely, that’s demonstrative behaviour for sure, but in the Coniglio case it wasn’t on the TV, it wasn’t on the screen and I think you had to zoom in from behind the goals to even find it. I think if we’re not paying that, I’ve got absolutely no doubt in my mind that we’re not saying that’s a missed dissent free kick.”

“I watched St Kilda/Essendon on the Saturday night and I think Mason Redman looked up at the scoreboard and put his arms out and said ‘what’s that for’, and nothing was paid. The inconsistency we create is probably the concern and I’ve certainly instructed our WAFL umpires that unless it is really clear that you’re feeling personally offended, but the impassioned plea, we don’t want that being paid.”

“Up until two years ago I didn’t even know what the word ‘dissent’ meant. Is it umpire abuse? Is it demonstrative behaviour? I think the umpire would’ve noticed his arms out from 20-30 metres away. We’re talking about a decision that didn’t need to be played that detracted from a close game of AFL footy.”
...and meanwhile the AFL are predictably cowardly in their response.
Even milquetoast Whately agrees it's below the threshold of a free kick.

Probably the final word on the free kick controversy from Adam Kingsley:

GWS coach Adam Kingsley has rubbished claims Stephen Coniglio was consistently arguing with umpires before a controversial dissent free kick was paid against him late in the Giants' narrow defeat to Carlton. "The (dissent) rule itself is not an issue. That decision … oh well, we move on," Kingsley said on Wednesday. "We certainly know that the rhetoric has been around that it was a reaction to numerous events – well, I can tell you that is just completely rubbish. That's not the case at all, so anyone who wants to attack the decision from that angle is completely wrong. That's complete rubbish … when you look at Cogs, you're dealing with one of the most respectful people in the AFL," he said.

Kingsley said GWS had great respect for umpires but wondered why the dissent rule was suddenly being applied differently now to most of last season. "We know it's a hard game to umpire already, so why are we making it even more difficult," he said. "The rule where it was midway through last season to the finish of last season is where it needs to be. I felt like it was really well umpired in that time frame."

Probably the final word on the free kick controversy from Adam Kingsley:

GWS coach Adam Kingsley has rubbished claims Stephen Coniglio was consistently arguing with umpires before a controversial dissent free kick was paid against him late in the Giants' narrow defeat to Carlton. "The (dissent) rule itself is not an issue. That decision … oh well, we move on," Kingsley said on Wednesday. "We certainly know that the rhetoric has been around that it was a reaction to numerous events – well, I can tell you that is just completely rubbish. That's not the case at all, so anyone who wants to attack the decision from that angle is completely wrong. That's complete rubbish … when you look at Cogs, you're dealing with one of the most respectful people in the AFL," he said.

Kingsley said GWS had great respect for umpires but wondered why the dissent rule was suddenly being applied differently now to most of last season. "We know it's a hard game to umpire already, so why are we making it even more difficult," he said. "The rule where it was midway through last season to the finish of last season is where it needs to be. I felt like it was really well umpired in that time frame."
Kingers keeps on saying the right things. Really liking this guy.

So much respect for Kingers to come out like that and firmly defend Cogs too! The AFL should be called out on lies. This wasn’t the only poor umpiring decision that cost us goals. It surprised none of these were really bought up in the media. Dochertys 50m + Cogs holding the ball free kick.
Glad to see someone from out club call out the poor umpiring. Toby has been given the rough end of the stick for years now as well.
Well done Kingers, major respect

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It has been said already. But super impressed with Kingsley's response. He was forthright and respectful at the same time. He made it clear we weren't happy, stood up for the player really well, but also made it clear that we acknowledge mistakes get made and it is a hard gig, just own it and move on.

Many would have been overly confrontational if they stood up for their man and others just ignoring it, it was a tough spot handled very well in my mind.

It has been said already. But super impressed with Kingsley's response. He was forthright and respectful at the same time. He made it clear we weren't happy, stood up for the player really well, but also made it clear that we acknowledge mistakes get made and it is a hard gig, just own it and move on.

Many would have been overly confrontational if they stood up for their man and others just ignoring it, it was a tough spot handled very well in my mind.
Yep really glad he stood by the players in public, think it's a really bad look if he blaming the players in the media

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This week's Carlton game shows what a huge job Sam Taylor & Jack Buckley did last week (I know Norths lack good KPDs, but that's half the point):

AFL 2023 round 4 LIVE updates: Curnow, McKay combine for 10 goals as Blues beat Kangaroos​

This week's Carlton game shows what a huge job Sam Taylor & Jack Buckley did last week (I know Norths lack good KPDs, but that's half the point):

AFL 2023 round 4 LIVE updates: Curnow, McKay combine for 10 goals as Blues beat Kangaroos​

There isn't a KPD duo in the competition playing better footy at the moment than those two both been elite. Buckley has the highest player rating of any KPD so far in the comp and is top 10 amongst all defenders.

There isn't a KPD duo in the competition playing better footy at the moment than those two both been elite. Buckley has the highest player rating of any KPD so far in the comp and is top 10 amongst all defenders.
Buckley’s contract is up this year, and hopefully the club is close to finalising his signature.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back