Autopsy 2023 Round 3 – GWS Giants vs Carlton, Saturday, April 1, 4.35PM AEST, @Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

From the seats of Section 226:
  • Whitfield must not take on the man on the mark. He is not quick enough to evade by sidestepping.
  • Hamilton needs a break. His disposals were very poor.
  • Riccardi does nothing in defence and doesn't hold his ground in a contest. Must be relegated next week.
  • Too many kicks and handpasses were given air which gave the opposition time to intercept/outnumber our players.
  • Lost count of how many times our players kicked or handpassed to a Carlton player.
  • Couldn't believe we were within 2 goals at 3 quarter time. Carlton certainly helped with their wayward kicking.
  • Actually turned out to be a nice day, although the ground was very slippery and many Giants players couldn't have been wearing long stops the way they constantly lost their footing.
  • The blind/no-look handpasses got us into heaps of trouble. Kingsley needs to get them to stop.
  • Critical errors by Ash (kick marked by Carlton close to their own goal) and Hogan (snap that didn't make 35m and was marked on the line) were momentum changers.

Last edited:

From the seats of Section 226:
  • Hamilton needs a break. His disposals were very poor.
He was about the only one consistently running so I'm going to cut him a lot of slack, I love his effort. I've absolutely got a knock on his disposal but I'd rather his effort than someone with silk but not bothering to work into space.
  • Actually turned out to be a nice day, although the ground was very slippery and many Giants players couldn't have been wearing long stops the way they constantly lost their footing.
We went out on to the ground for kick to kick. Some of it has basically no grass on it. It's in really bad condition, some of the worst I've seen this early in the year.

He was about the only one consistently running so I'm going to cut him a lot of slack, I love his effort. I've absolutely got a knock on his disposal but I'd rather his effort than someone with silk but not bothering to work into space.

We went out on to the ground for kick to kick. Some of it has basically no grass on it. It's in really bad condition, some of the worst I've seen this early in the year.
Dianod - thanks for that info - very interesting.

Close to the boundary, there was a lot less grass covering so I could understand how slippery it would have been.

From the lower angle from where I sit, the rest of the ground looks pretty good so what you observed explains a lot.

Can understand your thoughts on Hamilton's enthusiasm. He just looked shattered straight after his kick went direct to a Carlton player. It was like the culmination of a bad night. He's got talent. Was thinking the week off to reset might do him good and he was subbed out.

Oh, seriously??!! :)
Ha sorry, misled you - we're actually in 227, just confused because one of the kids was chanting 226 at some point at the game. 😂

Funnily enough I used to sit behind Ichabod Noodle in 228 until we had to shift because our youngest needed her own seat.

Gotta get the BIG VIC. club into the finals !
When a decision that bad is made that umpire needs to be dropped for the whole season. On top of that does anyone know if he was experienced as one of the other 3 should have overruled him. Watch the AFL umpires rule off on it though as they can never accept responsibility. If we allow that sort of decision to happen we would have 8 or 9 of them a game.

- 3 terrible ump decisions gifted them goals. The Docharty 50m, Cogs htb when didn’t even have the ball and the dissent against Cogs. Coach and fan killers

- Our disposals and turnovers were horrific tonight, one of the worst I can remember. Looking at you Whitfield and Ash!

- Forward into 50 terrible. How many time was it sent in at an advantage to a Carlton player.

- Poor goal kicking also on display (from both teams)

- Thank god for Taylor and Buckley

- Derkson in for Riccardo. Don’t think Cadman looks AFL ready yet looking at the vfl game today.

Had the chance to win this, the dissent call is worst decision of the year so far and was a huge game changer when we had the momentum.

Grrrr…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We had standouts in Kelly, Green, Taylor, Buckley, Flynn. But then Whitfield, Cogs, Toby probably had the poorest games they will play in a while.

Still annoying bombs inside 50 to a pack of 4 players with only 1 of them being a GWS player. Saw Riccardi try it twice within the space of 30 secs today.

I thought the effort was good for the most part - lots of pressure from guys like Daniels, Peatling, Ward.

I also thought Rowston was an improvement on last week's effort - looked much more comfortable out there and sustained his effort throughout the 4 quarters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last week was annoying this was frustrating, Carlton really left the door open for us with how poor their kicking was and we just weren't able to get over the line felt like we made so many skill errors with our kicking and dropped marks throughout our chains that just didn't give us a chance. Don't care about the umpire stuff, they made a bad call whatever, we had so many easy things that we stuffed up that could've swung it back in our favour. Hogan not even making the distance from 35m out, Riccardi dropping a sitter in the 4th quarter from a great Cumming (?) kick i50, plenty of poor kicking throughout the game. That's a tough one, we had no right to be in that game with how many more scoring shots Carlton had against us but we just never got it to click.

• Taylor and Buckley were both really good I thought, McKay pretty much wasn't a factor and Curnow is fantastic so he's going to do some special things sometimes but they both intercepted really well and were dealing with a lot of volume and some inconsistent pressure further up the ground. Buckley faced a crazy 12 one v ones and only lost 2 which is a fantastic result for us.
  • Kelly was great, he looked fantastic against Adelaide before going down and picked up right where left off, so so good. Had a ridiculous 45 pressure acts, 15 more then anyone else on the ground
  • Cogs was okay but just didn't use it well enough, seemed like there was a few of them out there that just didn't use it well enough today and it really limited our ability to set up good looks i50
  • Probably Riccardi's best game for the season so far, chipped in 2 goals and had 3 tackles i50 but the bar is not high for him at the moment, might've bought himself another week but he still has some super frustrating moments. If Gruzewski and Cadman can put some good form together I wonder how long Riccardi has before he's playing in the 2s again, feels inevitable.
  • Just not good enough from Toby, he's the captain, the best player on the team, the leader of our attack we need more then 5 touches. Most of these games are decided by how good the best players on the field play and not so much everyone else and when our best doesn't have a lot of influence it's tough.
  • An improved Rowston performane I thought looked a bit more invovled and was able to get his hands on it a few more times. Had some nice moments, had a really strong mark overhead at about CHF and then a nice kick to just i50 to set up a scoring shot.
  • Whitfield's kicking has been pretty concerning as of recently even going back to last year, just doesn't feel like he's the same ball user he used to be? Maybe that's harsh and the condiitons were tough today but had some poor turnovers today that killed some scoring chains for us before they even got off the ground
  • Finn wasn't too involved not even at double digit games yet so games like this are going to happen, had a good chance to kick a goal running i50 in the last quarter but badly shanked it, almost worked out for us in the end but needs to be better kicking for goal then he has so far
  • Thought Ash and Cumming were both quality, Cumming is such a good ball user setting things up for us, wonder if he has the tank to push up the ground a bit more and be able to use his kicking a bit more in the front half. Ash was good as a runner and limited his kicking issues that can sometimes trip him up.
  • Not sure where I'm at with Idun, was probably hoping for a bit more development offensively, he's still really limiting when he's put under pressure and we're trying to build up from the back half. His 1v1 work is still good but was hoping a bit more on the other side
  • So happy for Daniels, played so well the opening 3 weeks of the year. Impacting the scoreboard and as a pressure player plus his ball use has been good setting up others. Exactly what we needed and asked for and he's delivered so far, just needs a bit more help with him.
  • Another game for HH where it didn't feel like he was involved that much, don't feel like we can pull the lever of moving him to defence anymore either with how good Buckley has played, maybe if you wanted to try him as the third tall but that would present some issues with Haynes/Idun.
  • Speaking of Haynes, thought he looked good today, not sure how many of these performances he has in him but felt a bit like a vintage Haynes game. We're not all the way back yet and we probably won't get there but he felt really involved in the air and I feel like he's gotten more comfortable with the ball in as a distributor but maybe I'm just misremembering his foot skills. He's not an elite user by any means but certainly good enough and times when he was getting pressured he was able to get an accurate release kick off.
  • Happy with how Ward looked as a forward, still a small sample size of him as a forward but interested to see how it looks moving forward
  • There were times as a team where we were really carving them up with our ball movement from D50, other times not so much and it got a bit stagnant but there's defintely signs where we see things click for a stretchs and it looks really good. Just have to see it come together more and more as the year goes on.
Sets up a pretty intresting game against Essendon next week that feels like we could be a chance in with how we've played at times, I'll defintely be attending.

Taylor and Buckley come up against maybe the best key forward pairing in the comp faced a total of 17 1v1s and only lost 2 while taking 6 intercept marks! That's an incredible effort, Buckley playing like one of the best key defenders in the comp only a few games back from a knee injury is crazy, thought I was a bit higher on him them most coming into the year but this has really been way better then I expected. Faced the most 1v1's of anyone this season so far and only lost 20% (one of the lowest figures of the players with real volume) in the comp and collecting over 2 intercept marks a game. While Taylor continues to be terrific, he's yet to lose a 1v1 this season, facing 10 so far.

Taylor and Buckley come up against maybe the best key forward pairing in the comp faced a total of 17 1v1s and only lost 2 while taking 6 intercept marks! That's an incredible effort, Buckley playing like one of the best key defenders in the comp only a few games back from a knee injury is crazy, thought I was a bit higher on him them most coming into the year but this has really been way better then I expected. Faced the most 1v1's of anyone this season so far and only lost 20% (one of the lowest figures of the players with real volume) in the comp and collecting over 2 intercept marks a game. While Taylor continues to be terrific, he's yet to lose a 1v1 this season, facing 10 so far.
Loving this type of analysis

Watching highlights of other games on The Sunday Footy Show, and time and time again, there's vision of teams only having 2 forwards, sometimes just the 1 (good ole Pagan's paddock) in the attacking 50.

All that space for the forwards to work, unlike the Giants who persist with the long bomb to a pack.

I think it's something that frustrates a few of us.

Watching highlights of other games on The Sunday Footy Show, and time and time again, there's vision of teams only having 2 forwards, sometimes just the 1 (good ole Pagan's paddock) in the attacking 50.

All that space for the forwards to work, unlike the Giants who persist with the long bomb to a pack.

I think it's something that frustrates a few of us.
Yes, except you also need the small forwards to take advantage of that approach. And a ruckman who is either able to cover 90% of the game, or a second KPF who is a strong secondary ruck.

Almost all including the mainstream media are against the dissension penalty by the umpire. Even Voss is pleading ignorance. The only person publicly for it seems Eddie McGuire, which is evidence enough that it was a bad call!

*”Eddie McGuire reveals what the broadcast will look like in the future as the AFL ponders putting a microchip inside the football
"When you're trying to change behaviour or a particular action, you've got shoot a few to get it done – and someone's got to pay the penalty before it sinks in and there is no dissent. What it does do is put the players on notice."*

Crowd of 9691 yesterday. Note however this site had stated approx 7000 attended the Adelaide match, when GWS said it was approx 8000 a couple of days later. So we may need to wait for Giants to confirm the official crowd numbers, but I thought the crowd yesterday looked pretty good?

The GWS Giants are “privately seething” at the crucial dissent free kick which swung the game late in their loss to Carlton on Saturday.

In an eventual 10-point win for the Blues, Jesse Motlop booted a goal at the 15-minute mark of the final term that had Carlton a point up. But the controversy that led to Motlop's goal has become the key talking point, with suggestions GWS was wrongly undone late in the game. Motlop was awarded the free kick directly infront 15 metres out for dissent against Stephen Coniglio, who raised his arms at a missed free kick in the play prior. Umpire audio released overnight suggests there was no ugly language from the former GWS skipper and was only penalised because of his action.

It’s a free kick at odds with the trend across the league, and given the timing of the score, SEN’s Tom Morris reports GWS are privately furious. “It was at a crucial time of the game and it was a free kick for an action that we see dozens of times a game and hundreds of time a round.” He added: “The umpire, via the audio from Fox Footy, makes it clear it's not what he says, it’s the fact his arms are out when we’ve learnt last year that players are allowed to extend their arms. We’re waiting on the AFL call here whether this was correct or not and I sense – without knowing for sure – that the AFL wants to back the umpires at all points, but this was an incorrect adjudication of what dissent actually is.” Arms out did warrant a free kick on a few occasions early last season, however the AFL privately softened the rule mid-year to bring the rule into more common sense areas.

Former Essendon star Scott Lucas believes it’s crystal clear to see the umpire made a blunder. “No, let’s be honest it’s ridiculous,” he responded when asked if Coniglio’s action constituted dissent. “He’s just wrong. I understand we need to be respectful to our officials, but there is a context to the game and the importance and the stakes. Understand that players will get emotional… it’s just too big a penalty.”

And when a Melbourne media personality who hates GWS agrees it's ridiculous ... you know it's crap!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back