Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Marvel has every thing going for it.
Newish, central, train station and not too many bad seats at all.

Now if they open the roof, it be a world class stadium. 🏟️

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The main reason Marvel has a bad stigma is because it’s not the MCG, mainly from the people whose routine is to go to the MCG.

When they had the Matildas there in Feb, with the roof open and a full house, I was thinking to myself how ridiculous it is that people complain about it the way they do. The place was electric.

diumThe main reason Marvel has a bad stigma is because it’s not the MCG, mainly from the people whose routine is to go to the MCG.

When they had the Matildas there in Feb, with the roof open and a full house, I was thinking to myself how ridiculous it is that people complain about it the way they do. The place was electric.
Having attended the first AFL match there in March 2000 Ess v Port I have always believed that the stadium is world class and yes it copped a typical media bad rap when it first opened but is now with the recent $250 million upgrade even better!

We are so lucky in Melbourne to have three great stadiums - the MCG, Marvel and AAMI Park all world class and at least none are like the ex Olympic Stadium in Sydney that is hated by sports fans much more than Marvel ever was.

Gold Coast v Hawks 13,900.Pretty good for the GC.

Port v Freo 35,658 another disappointing AO crowd.
How come Port seem to struggle to get over 40,000 to their home matches even when they are winning?

How come Port seem to struggle to get over 40,000 to their home matches even when they are winning?
Port are only a moderately sized club. There is a tendency to compare them to the crows but the crows have a bigger support base.

Having attended the first AFL match there in March 2000 Ess v Port I have always believed that the stadium is world class and yes it copped a typical media bad rap when it first opened but is now with the recent $250 million upgrade even better!

We are so lucky in Melbourne to have three great stadiums - the MCG, Marvel and AAMI Park all world class and at least none are like the ex Olympic Stadium in Sydney that is hated by sports fans much more than Marvel ever was.
Having sat at ground level at both the MCG and Marvel, I think the ground level viewing at Marvel is easily better.

What's Essendon's excuse then? They haven't hit 50k for a home Marvel match since 2007.
Haven’t we explained with this numerous times? Essendon have ~18,000 member reserved seat holders. At any home game, only about 50% of these members seats are used. The holders might be unwell, interstate, at a wedding, playing community sport or just can’t be bothered going. Therefore, at an Essendon home game (Carlton similar), there would be 8-9,000 empty reserved member seats. Add Medallion Club unused seats, that why a sellout only draws about 44,000 at Essendon home games.

Haven’t we explained with this numerous times? Essendon have ~18,000 member reserved seat holders. At any home game, only about 50% of these members seats are used. The holders might be unwell, interstate, at a wedding, playing community sport or just can’t be bothered going. Therefore, at an Essendon home game (Carlton similar), there would be 8-9,000 empty reserved member seats. Add Medallion Club unused seats, that why a sellout only draws about 44,000 at Essendon home games.
Sorry if my sarcasm didn't come through.

The Bulldogs/Carlton and Saints/Essendon games later this year might give it a crack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that turnup rate is true then it's incredibly poor. Even West Coast members have a much better turnup rate than that, and they've actually got a reason to stay home.

If that turnup rate is true then it's incredibly poor. Even West Coast members have a much better turnup rate than that, and they've actually got a reason to stay home.
Member attendance rates seem to be shocking for Melbourne clubs relative to interstate clubs. It's just not as big of a problem for Collingwood or Richmond playing at the MCG.

I suspect having around half a dozen away games that they can also easily go to in their home city might be part of the reason why member and reserved seat member attendance is lower than for the teams outside Melbourne.

Member attendance rates seem to be shocking for Melbourne clubs relative to interstate clubs. It's just not as big of a problem for Collingwood or Richmond playing at the MCG.

That’s true - though if you aren’t able to attend a game, it’s probably much easier in a 2 team town to find somebody to lend your membership to who wants to go.

Not entirely correct I believe. Eagles members not planning on going can return their seats for resale.. That’s my understanding. Marvel clubs are this year trialling it for first time. It will take time for behaviours to become habit and more members return their seats for sale to public.

There was a train strike on game day, also Freo have not got a lot of supporters in SA.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Port are only a moderately sized club. There is a tendency to compare them to the crows but the crows have a bigger support base.
Port's highest home attendance against Freo was 41518 (Rd 22 2005), their avg attendance against them is 29395. Throw in the Footy Express trains being cancelled which you'd have to think would deter some fans (especially those based further out) and Freo not having huge support in Adelaide and it's probably what you would expect.

Which is bizarre as the proportion of reserved seatholders amongst members appears to be a lot lower. Only 19k reserved seats in a total membership of 80k or so would suggest the serious fans are buying the seat.

Not entirely correct I believe. Eagles members not planning on going can return their seats for resale.. That’s my understanding. Marvel clubs are this year trialling it for first time. It will take time for behaviours to become habit and more members return their seats for sale to public.
You are right in that there is a resale scheme, but I don't think it gets used much and using West Coast as an example, the chances of actually reselling your seat is slim. There are 6000 or so public tickets to any given game, and most games don't sell those tickets now. When they were going OK obviously those tickets used to always sell.

Port's highest home attendance against Freo was 41518 (Rd 22 2005), their avg attendance against them is 29395. Throw in the Footy Express trains being cancelled which you'd have to think would deter some fans (especially those based further out) and Freo not having huge support in Adelaide and it's probably what you would expect.
Think a proportion of Port fans just abore their coach so much that they vote with their feet as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back