Play Nice 2024 AFL TV Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Internal trials starting this weekend.

Will be keeping the ratings thread separate to the attendance thread this year.

Notes

Oztam have now moved completely to VOZ. At present this means no Fox or Kayo streams seem to be appearing on the oztam lists. Reach is now the focus of the Oztam reporting although an average for Linear is still being reported.

* NOTE: NEW METRICS AND REPORTS *

• Total TV Overnight Top 30 and Consolidated 7 Top 30 reach is calculated using cumulative unique audiences watching 1 min of broadcast TV and 15 sec of BVOD.
  • Total TV National audience is calculated using the audience average for the program as time-coded by the Network across 5CM and all regional markets nationally watching on broadcast TV.
  • BVOD national audience is calculated using the total number of minutes watched (multiplied by co-viewing factor) divided by the length of the program.

Will attempt to get as much data as possible, but Oztam not making it easy any more.

Last edited:
I find the new way of collecting the ratings a little confusing - so is the AFL figure of Reach 1.993m viewers that watch the program for one minute or more and why does the total number drop to Total TV 638,000?
I do miss regional reporting.

honestly, I think half the discussion about TV ratings on here were about Sydney and Brisbane.

Both Sydney and Brisbane ratings are ok-good, but not "hey lets give them a special round good".
Increasing follower numbers over time is the reason for the OR in those places.

1710116015297.png

AFL opening round flies high for Seven
Reaches 4.2 million, #1 program three nights in a row

The 2024 AFL Premiership Season opening round on the Seven Network was a hit with footyfans, reaching 4.2 million people across Channel 7 and 7mate.

Seven’s live and free AFL season opener between Sydney Swans and Melbourne on Thursday night reached 2.3 million viewers nationally.The gripping game peaked at 977,000 viewers nationally, with an average national audience of 702,000, up 10% compared to the 2023 AFL season average. It was the #1 program of thenight in all people, 25 to 54s and 16 to 39s.

The Friday night match between Brisbane and Carlton reached 1.99 million. It peaked at997,000 viewers, drew an average national audience of 638,000, and was the #1 program onFriday in all people, 25 to 54s, 16 to 39s and grocery shoppers.

Seven’s coverage of the GWS Giants and Collingwood clash on Saturday night reached 1.71million people, peaked at 671,000 viewers and had an average national audience of 509,000. Itwas the #1 program in all people, 25 to 54s and 16 to 39s.

The big audiences helped Seven rank #1 in all people across the back half of the week, with anational total TV share of 43.3% on Thursday night, 46.2% on Friday night and 44.5% onSaturday night.

Managing Director Seven Melbourne and Head of Network Sport, Lewis Martin, said: “The 2024season has gotten off to an exceptional start, with excellent TV ratings, packed out stadia andunforgettable moments and stories – and we haven’t even made it to round one yet! Australianslove their footy and we love bringing it to them. It’s going to a great year for AFL, the fans andSeven.

Fox BVOD Live Ratings
ChannelMatchAudienceMinutes Reach
Fox LeagueLIVE: NRL: SEA EAGLES V RABBITOHS443,00051,855,000684,000
Fox LeagueLIVE: NRL: ROOSTERS V BRONCOS389,00045,490,000630,000
Fox LeagueLIVE: NRL: EELS V BULLDOGS266,00029,032,000442,000
Fox LeagueLIVE: NRL: TITANS V DRAGONS250,00027,045,000417,000
Fox LeagueLIVE: NRL: STORM V PANTHERS249,00027,156,000394,000
FOX FOOTYLIVE: AFL: OPENING ROUND GC V RIC226,00034,987,000474,000
Fox LeagueLIVE: NRL: WARRIORS V SHARKS221,00024,715,000397,000
FOX FOOTYLIVE: AFL: OPENING ROUND GWS V COL208,00034,679,000407,000
FOX FOOTYLIVE: AFL: OPENING ROUND SYD V ME208,00034,258,000412,000
FOX FOOTYLIVE: AFL: OPENING ROUND BRI V CAR206,00033,310,000430,000
Fox LeagueLIVE: NRL: KNIGHTS V RAIDERS191,00021,612,000327,000

Interesting analysing the Fox BVOD numbers, there's a subtle differences between the relationship of reach and average in both

1710447083455.png

The ratio of reach to average is 2.03 for the AFL with an average per viewer of 80 minutes (almost half the telecast). The NRL had a ratio of 1.64 with average viewership of 69 minutes

Taking the Vegas outlier out of it, the AFL matches had an average 470,000 viewers who watched 80 minutes each for an average of 212,000 for over 34million minutes in total

The NRL had an average 395,000 viewers watching 66 minutes each on average with an average viewership of 235,000 for an average 26 million total minutes

Thursday Night VOZ

Sevens Thursday Night #AFL
Seven Network
Reach 1.893m
Total TV 713,000

Prematch 599k/290k

Thursday Night #NRL Live
Nine Network
Reach 1.462m
Total TV 642,000
(BVOD 81,000)

Prematch 599k/277k

Postmatch 597k/208k

Fox/Kayo unavailable
The AFL came in at #2 The NRL# 4 on the night.The Front Bar and Talking Footy on CH 7 also rated very well on Ch 7 on Wednesday.

So the the biggest football code in the nation by a long way according to bogan media tart V'Landy's got beaten by the AFL?

Last edited:
The AFL came in at #2 The NRL# 4 on the night.The Front Bar and Talking Footy on CH 7 also rated very well on Ch 7 on Wednesday.

So the the biggest football code in the nation by a long way according to bogan media tart V'Landy's got beaten by the AFL?

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll find a way to manipulate the numbers as usual, to make less actual eyeballs on the sport appear as more to the novice reader of tv ratings.

Interesting the front bar is now on 7 main in Sydney and I assume Brisbane on Wednesday night's as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I have said numerous times travelling around the country for work for many year, i´m shocked more people watch NRL than AFL.
The general conversations in pubs and work places the tipping comps. etc Let's not even begin to talk about the amount of people in pubs watching.

From my perception the general interest in the two games seems at least double for AFL.

And yes I don´t go to Canberra or Newcastle or Northern Queensland.

yeah yeah talk about stats and reach and all that I´m just talking about my personal observations from what i see and notice. And yes I know my personal observations dont mean s**t.

So yeah my post doesn't mean s**t either in the end with no real data. I just find it staggering.

As I have said numerous times travelling around the country for work for many year, i´m shocked more people watch NRL than AFL.
The general conversations in pubs and work places the tipping comps. etc Let's not even begin to talk about the amount of people in pubs watching.

From my perception the general interest in the two games seems at least double for AFL.

And yes I don´t go to Canberra or Newcastle or Northern Queensland.

yeah yeah talk about stats and reach and all that I´m just talking about my personal observations from what i see and notice. And yes I know my personal observations dont mean s**t.

So yeah my post doesn't mean s**t either in the end with no real data. I just find it staggering.

Well they don't, that's the whole point we've been making.

Right, but you would agree that if you looked at data including Wookie´s you can see how a lot of people that don't dive deep (which most don't) think they do.

Yep and that's the exact problem we have been expressing in the reach is king thread, knowingly misleading the reader and not giving a s**t about it.

Last edited:
Yep and that's the exact problem we have been expressing in the reach is king thread, knowingly misleading the reader and not giving a s**t about it.

If you think i dont give a s**t. you are incredibly mistaken. God forbid i should post data that was the recognised industry standard for the last decade or so - since the data i post is read by a lot more people than frequent this forum. As posted by the networks, the leagues and the ratings agency.

Keep it in your special thread, thanks.

Last edited:
Interesting. The reach for the Collingwood v Sydney match is the highest so far but The average is 50K less than Carlton v Richmond.

I assume 2 factors here.

1) the Sydney factor. More casual, flicking for the scores
2) the fact the game was over by 3/4 quarter time.

The reach of the post match was only 525K, which is lower than the average and was beaten by the NRL post-match for comparison, with the NRL having a closer match. It also finished earlier. In saying that, there is only a 2K difference between both post-match averages.

While I am on that

5 City (Ave) (K)TotalSydneyMelBrisAdelPerth
Coll v Sydney46061254257347

(if you going to complain about the use of ave here, take it to the other thread or post your own)

Interesting. The reach for the Collingwood v Sydney match is the highest so far but The average is 50K less than Carlton v Richmond.

I assume 2 factors here.

1) the Sydney factor. More casual, flicking for the scores
2) the fact the game was over by 3/4 quarter time.

The reach of the post match was only 525K, which is lower than the average and was beaten by the NRL post-match for comparison, with the NRL having a closer match. It also finished earlier. In saying that, there is only a 2K difference between both post-match averages.

While I am on that

5 City (Ave) (K)TotalSydneyMelBrisAdelPerth
Coll v Sydney46061254257347

(if you going to complain about the use of ave here, take it to the other thread or post your own)

The beauty of getting the reach provided now, in addition to it being the recognised as the primary measure, is that we will be able to understand overtime these relative drivers of why the audience might have a relatively higher or lower reach.

It would make sense that there would be a higher casual viewer in Sydney and that a big Melbourne club getting flogged will result in those fans turning off which would drive up the reach to average ratio.

At this stage, I would multiply the city figures by the ratio of the match to get city reach estimates. So Sydney on Friday night would be 200K. I suspect though that the Sydney reach is higher than that though.

What is amazing about post match numbers is that the AFL is generally higher despite being up to an hour later. The AFL post match is presumably finishing at 11 PM

As it is, 6 games in each and the AFL average reach is 534,000 higher (38.5%) than the NRL with each AFL viewer watching on average 14% more game time than the NRL.

1710641010420.png

Saturday VOZ
Saturday Night #AFL
Seven NetworkReach 1.682m (#1)
Average 494,000 (#4)

If you ever wondered why Sevens James Warbarton was so bullish on the new Oztam Reach priority

Reach
7/3 Thu N AFL 2.145m (#1)
8/3 Fri N AFL 1.993m (#1)
9/3 Sat N AFL 1.707m (#1)
14/3 Thu N AFL 1.893m (#2)
15/3 Fri N AFL 2.100m (#1)
16/3 Sat N AFL 1.682m (#1)

Data: VOZ

As it is, 6 games in each and the AFL average reach is 534,000 higher (38.5%) than the NRL with each AFL viewer watching on average 14% more game time than the NRL.

It's really exposed just how big the gap really is. This information hasn't been a secret for the industry itself, which is why the AFL gets significantly higher dollars from TV. It's not some conspiracy, it's that the AFL gets a lot more people watching.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back