AFL 2024 AFL Futures

Remove this Banner Ad

Daniel Talia is the only player to win it in his 3rd season, 2012. (From Jeremy Cameron, Mitch Wallis, Adam Treloar) **Interestingly, GC Suns entered the competition in 2011 and GWS Giants entered in 2012. Both teams monopolized young talent in their respective drafts, but reasonably, changed the landscape for first-year players. Increased opportunity, decreased support, increased competition.

In 2012, GWS had EIGHT players get Rising Star nominations, which is an absolute aberration.

Winners in their second season are: Luke Jackson (2021), Jesse Hogan (2015), Daniel Hanneberry (2010), Danyle Pearce (2006), Jared Rivers (2004), Sam Mitchell (2003), Nick Reiwoldt (2002), Byron Pickett (1998) since 1997. Earlier than '97 used a different system to award the winner.

That's 8 first year players in the last 10 years, (80%) compared to 10 first year players across the first 17 years (58%) (from '97).

Surely it's just a factor that any player good enough to win the Rising Star would have played over 10 games in their first three seasons. Would have to be a very small sample size. I wouldn't be ruling Sheldrick out purely because of the above.

Surely it's just a factor that any player good enough to win the Rising Star would have played over 10 games in their first three seasons. Would have to be a very small sample size. I wouldn't be ruling Sheldrick out purely because of the above.

I’m not ruling out Sheldrick or any other second year player.

Purely providing a brief analysis of what had happened to date.

Daniel Talia is the only player to win it in his 3rd season, 2012. (From Jeremy Cameron, Mitch Wallis, Adam Treloar) **Interestingly, GC Suns entered the competition in 2011 and GWS Giants entered in 2012. Both teams monopolized young talent in their respective drafts, but reasonably, changed the landscape for first-year players. Increased opportunity, decreased support, increased competition.

In 2012, GWS had EIGHT players get Rising Star nominations, which is an absolute aberration.

Winners in their second season are: Luke Jackson (2021), Jesse Hogan (2015), Daniel Hanneberry (2010), Danyle Pearce (2006), Jared Rivers (2004), Sam Mitchell (2003), Nick Reiwoldt (2002), Byron Pickett (1998) since 1997. Earlier than '97 used a different system to award the winner.

That's 8 first year players in the last 10 years, (80%) compared to 10 first year players across the first 17 years (58%) (from '97).
shows how much the hype has grown around draftees imo

Joel Selwood vs. Pendlebury from 2007 is a decent example. Both players had very similar years statistically, playing frontline roles in high performing teams.

Pendlebury was in his second season, after still meeting the criteria in playing only 9 games the season before, while Joel was a 'rookie' or first year' player with the judges giving him the nod (44 votes to 37).

You can understand why the panel fell in love with Selwood's hard-nosed approach, but Pendles managed 18 goals as a mid-fielder (to Joel's 7). I'm not sure there's been too many closer counts.

This is the third pre-season in row that Martin has been the "fittest he's ever been".

No sh*t, it's almost a meme.

If he's going to be playing the same role he's been playing pretty much since he won the Brownlow in 2017 (forward, with some stints in the midfield), he's going to be essentially zero chance to win it, just like he was in all those years.

Unless it has been disclosed that his role is changing this year under a new coach, you can save your money.

A forward is not winning the Brownlow, let alone one in an era now where midfielders are so consistent week in, week out, that the winner is polling close to mid 30s each year.

This is the third pre-season in row that Martin has been the "fittest he's ever been".

No sh*t, it's almost a meme.

If he's going to be playing the same role he's been playing pretty much since he won the Brownlow in 2017 (forward, with some stints in the midfield), he's going to be essentially zero chance to win it, just like he was in all those years.

Unless it has been disclosed that his role is changing this year under a new coach, you can save your money.

A forward is not winning the Brownlow, let alone one in an era now where midfielders are so consistent week in, week out, that the winner is polling close to mid 30s each year.
Thanks Dimma,got him for Coleman now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crazy that Lachie Neale is $13 SB for the Brownlow.

A dodgy Cripps suspension appeal in 2022 away from being a three-time winner. Was broadly considered to have a below par year last year and still won it. Lions won't drop off, Dunkley / Luggage are non-factors in polling and Ashcroft is young and won't play first half of the year.

Should at least be second favourite and vying for favouritism with Daicos for my money.

Crazy that Lachie Neale is $13 SB for the Brownlow.

A dodgy Cripps suspension appeal in 2022 away from being a three-time winner. Was broadly considered to have a below par year last year and still won it. Lions won't drop off, Dunkley / Luggage are non-factors in polling and Ashcroft is young and won't play first half of the year.

Should at least be second favourite and vying for favouritism with Daicos for my money.
Extremely hard to back it up not only form but also having to win over the umps again who have been bashed around for giving him so many votes this year.
They won't admit it but he will be 100% be marked a little harsher.

Even if he should be 2nd favourite there can't be much in that 13 dollar price without a game being played.

I usually look at longer odds when this far out for the sole reason of trading it out during the same.

Did alright last year with Taranto at $67 into single figures, Bont, and someone else but whiffed on others obviously. Too far out but my rough picks (not bets yet) might be

Anderson $21
Brayshaw $34
Newcombe/Steele $41
Sheez/Laird $101

Any value on the AFL Futures 2024 Handicap released by the TAB?

View attachment 1903027

Collingwood + 0 I cant see winning. Someone on another AFL Futures multi thread , reckons Eagles can get to 7-9 wins, if so, one imagine they would go close to winning this.
If eagles get near 9 wins they piss this in, find it hard to see that happening though, they are terrible and aren't all of a sudden improving that much on last year.

North and them have big starts here though so could also win it with 5-7 if the comp is as even as we think it will be at the top.

Very hard to find any value in this market in general though

Who does everyone reckon will be the team to go from outside the 8 to into the top 4 this year?

Has happened for like the last 15 years or something.

Adelaide is the logical one, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's Essendon - 2nd youngest team in the comp last year and still able to win 11 games, with a bolstered list over the off-season.

Who does everyone reckon will be the team to go from outside the 8 to into the top 4 this year?

Has happened for like the last 15 years or something.

Adelaide is the logical one, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's Essendon - 2nd youngest team in the comp last year and still able to win 11 games, with a bolstered list over the off-season.
Crows are the obvious ones.
Cats draw is very good so maybe them.
I don't think they will but plenty will say the Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Back