No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Fire Elmo GIF

With the new rules on F/S & Academy pending it might just get that way.

I'm looking forward to the intelligent discussion with the victards

Just reading up on the Clayton Oliver stuff. Seems like it's going from bad to worse. Wonder what the end game will be there?

Just reading up on the Clayton Oliver stuff. Seems like it's going from bad to worse. Wonder what the end game will be there?

contract with fox footy

This is a strange take. Kane Cornes (who I mostly like - could add that as a semi-unpopular opinion) seems to be bitterly disappointed that this year's free agency class is the most underwhelming ever and that there is not enough player movement (which was the thing that free agency was meant to promote). Isn't this a case of the tail wagging the dog? Since when was player movement such an unalloyed good thing? What happened to the virtues of the one-club player? I still like seeing players stick by one club. Why do they have to keep moving around? Why is that so much better for the game other than the wannabe punditocracy has more to bloviate about?

This is a strange take. Kane Cornes (who I mostly like - could add that as a semi-unpopular opinion) seems to be bitterly disappointed that this year's free agency class is the most underwhelming ever and that there is not enough player movement (which was the thing that free agency was meant to promote). Isn't this a case of the tail wagging the dog? Since when was player movement such an unalloyed good thing? What happened to the virtues of the one-club player? I still like seeing players stick by one club. Why do they have to keep moving around? Why is that so much better for the game other than the wannabe punditocracy has more to bloviate about?
Clubs are tying up their best talent on longer contracts which the AFLPA would be delighted with you would think. So the cost of bringing in the best talent rises significantly. That will test the imagination of AFL House how to make it an equalisation measure.

Clubs are tying up their best talent on longer contracts which the AFLPA would be delighted with you would think. So the cost of bringing in the best talent rises significantly. That will test the imagination of AFL House how to make it an equalisation measure.

even if it is front loaded Paying a b grade player $1.5m to move from lolkqngakangekanga to the poster Club for mediocrity in the Donnies is a joke.

even if it is front loaded Paying a b grade player $1.5m to move from lolkqngakangekanga to the poster Club for mediocrity in the Donnies is a joke.
The player is a winner, the club he left is a winner. Guess who never wins anything meaningful?

Clue: It rhymes with bombed and mess.

Last edited:
Big blow for Eagles Liam Ryan to have surgery on Hamstring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Josh Jenkins and Cam Mooney were to tell me a stock tip I'm going to do the exact opposite

Not sure that's punching through

Last edited:
I’m starting to feel more confident in what I suspect will be considered a very big and unpopular prediction for 2024: Melbourne to miss the 8.
Yep, that's my call. Not a happy camp, big issues forward. Might scrape into 7th or 8th but my prediction is 9/10.

Yep, that's my call. Not a happy camp, big issues forward. Might scrape into 7th or 8th but my prediction is 9/10.

They still have so much talent with their top core of players - Petracca, Viney, Fritsch, Gawn, Lever, May, Pickett are all top class in their parts of the field. But doesn't feel like a group that is all pushing the wheel in the same direction and at the same time, to butcher a few cliches. And I think with the lingering doubt hanging over Clayton Oliver and also, to a lesser degree, Simon Goodwin and the senior management of the club given how they've handled adversity over the last few years, I just think they might have an unexpected down year. It felt to me like last year was gonna be their big revenge season and they petered out in straight sets again. They've got some top class 18 year olds in at the most recent draft so that'll help in the long-term and Van Rooyen I do think will be a very good key forward so there's long-term optimism to be had, but they're in win now mode and I just have a suspicion they're gonna disappoint this year.

I’m starting to feel more confident in what I suspect will be considered a very big and unpopular prediction for 2024: Melbourne to miss the 8.

Me too. It's a very difficult 8 to tip. Currently I've got (not in order): Pies, Lions, Giants, Swans, Blues, Crows, Saints, Suns.

I would have been tempted to leave out the Suns but I think the AFL has set it up for them and it would take astounding ineptitude for them to miss from here after the accumulation of trade, draft and fixturing concessions they have been given over the years and for the year ahead.

Me too. It's a very difficult 8 to tip. Currently I've got (not in order): Pies, Lions, Giants, Swans, Blues, Crows, Saints, Suns.

I would have been tempted to leave out the Suns but I think the AFL has set it up for them and it would take astounding ineptitude for them to miss from here after the accumulation of trade, draft and fixturing concessions they have been given over the years and for the year ahead.
I don't think the Suns will play finals this year but will then be a main stay. This will be like the Giants 2015 then a run of 4 finals including a GF appearance

I don't think the Suns will play finals this year but will then be a main stay. This will be like the Giants 2015 then a run of 4 finals including a GF appearance
My feeling too. The cattle are coming together and a new coach and game plan will start to build a better team but finals this year is likely to be a bridge too far but next year very likely.
Those draftees are terrific but they are still draftees.

I thought the same as you until I took a closer look at the fixture. They have double ups against both Eagles and North (I think they are the only team with that luxury). That's almost a 4W head start. Also, they get a pretty gentle start to the season and play at home for most of their matches against the top teams.

Those fixturing advantages, together with their list and the new coach bounce, are the reasons I am tipping them to play finals in 2024. They have zero excuses in my opinion.

I thought the same as you until I took a closer look at the fixture. They have double ups against both Eagles and North (I think they are the only team with that luxury). That's almost a 4W head start. Also, they get a pretty gentle start to the season and play at home for most of their matches against the top teams.

Those fixturing advantages, together with their list and the new coach bounce, are the reasons I am tipping them to play finals in 2024. They have zero excuses in my opinion.
new coach bounce , what does that mean

Remove this Banner Ad

Back