No Oppo Supporters 2023 General AFL Discussion - incl. AFL Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can confirm Sam Edmunds quote there. I've heard My Chemical Romance has been heard blaring through the PA systems at clublands around the comp.
My mind went to The Rasmus "In the Shadows", especially about clubs who've been waiting for success for a while. That said a lot of the angst is coming from Vic clubs, or interstate clubs (WA, Crows) who've played in deciders in the last decade. So boo hoo.

Mate of mine younger brother played for South U19 very early 70s. Riverina boy. Best kick I ever saw but very lazy trainer.
How many guys could have made it big time but did not have the commitment. It takes a lot of hard work and those lonely days slogging it out training. One of my brothers (I have 5) was like that. So talented yet lazy. He could have been something.

Some points from latest Jay Clark article on AFL's 'balance review'

- Power have requested to AFL to join the VFL from 2025

- Port’s move has broad support across the league as part of a step towards a national second-tier competition involving all 18 AFL clubs.

- introduce a more weighted fixture into the VFL for next season so there are less lopsided games between top and bottom sides, including the standalone clubs

- AFL officials suggested there was potential scope to introduce changes to the draft system – pending feedback from clubs over the next two months – in time for 2024 draft.

- clubs are pushing for considerable change to specific list mechanisms, including academy and father-son selections

- Laura Kane, Geoff Walsh, Josh Mahoney and Ned Guy will lead the review into the competitive balance of the league, including the contentious northern academy discount and NGA boundaries and operations.

- draft value index is also in line for an overhaul, while there are calls to streamline and protect the first round of the draft.

Paywall link - CODE Sports

- Port’s move has broad support across the league as part of a step towards a national second-tier competition involving all 18 AFL clubs.

- introduce a more weighted fixture into the VFL for next season so there are less lopsided games between top and bottom sides, including the standalone clubs

- AFL officials suggested there was potential scope to introduce changes to the draft system – pending feedback from clubs over the next two months – in time for 2024 draft.

- clubs are pushing for considerable change to specific list mechanisms, including academy and father-son selections

- Laura Kane, Geoff Walsh, Josh Mahoney and Ned Guy will lead the review into the competitive balance of the league, including the contentious northern academy discount and NGA boundaries and operations.

- draft value index is also in line for an overhaul, while there are calls to streamline and protect the first round of the draft.

how depressing… Kane etc leave me cold. For competitive balance, read putting a foot on the scales to help nmfc and reduce Qld and NSW to being hothouse development bubbles.

The AFL is a bitter joke.

Well, those four will really have the best interests of ALL the clubs, particularly the northern states at heart won't they 🤔
Diversity at its best - not!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds good.

But, I have very, very limited trust in AFL HQ.

The fact NGAs exist at all is insane.

Also "protect the first round"... hmmm wonder if that will have any impact on academies

Points index was always going to be adjusted. I just hope it's not a complete overreaction of points balance and conditional usage of matching, etc added at the same time.

Expect all of them to change. Fully expect no discounts in round 1 at least. Points index needs to change

Points index was always going to be adjusted. I just hope it's not a complete overreaction of points balance and conditional usage of matching, etc added at the same time.
Hmmmm, imagine a draft where you just picked at your earnt position. No trading picks no points nothing, just pick at your spot and move on. Crazy I know, but ….

Dan McStay done ACL again , very sad for him
Unfortunate for him after missing a premiership then this. Was said to have put the GF Final disappointment well behind him and was in ripping nick looking to 2024.

Speaking of ripping nick, watching 7 news the other night at Essendon training and spotted Stringer waddling laps. This Bloke as good as his little cameos can be should not be playing AFL. An Unfit Slob. Looks like he swallowed a doona and has a backside that would seem he is trying to channel his inner Serena Williams. Should be playing the part of the the talented Fat Full Forward In Park Footy.

Rozee headed for an 8 yr deal with Port.

The back-to-back All-Australian was already contracted for next season, with the new contract extension understood to be set to take him through to the end of 2032. It will see Rozee join Western Bulldogs forward Aaron Naughton as the holders of the longest contracts in the AFL and run through to when Rozee is 32 years old.

Rozee headed for an 8 yr deal with Port.

The back-to-back All-Australian was already contracted for next season, with the new contract extension understood to be set to take him through to the end of 2032. It will see Rozee join Western Bulldogs forward Aaron Naughton as the holders of the longest contracts in the AFL and run through to when Rozee is 32 years old.
Cornes will love it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back