Autopsy 2023 AFL Draft - Day 1 & 2 Kickoff at 7pm

Remove this Banner Ad

My memories of a young Lloyd playing in the 2s was that when the opposition had the ball Lloyd was right next to his man. As soon as the Swans got the ball he was IMMEDIATELY 30 metres away waiting to receive the ball. He spread so fast.
Exactly my memory too. Probably his greatest strength at that stage. Huge tank. Also good at finding a target, albeit usually within 30m.

In most ways I agree with this. On the surface, the Gold Coast have made out like bandits. We've done well out if it too in other years but not to this extreme. 10-12 mediocre picks does not equate to 4 elite players.

However, the whole competition is stuffed in terms of equalisation and fairness. Does this one win from Gold Coast balance out all the other unfair, unequal elements of the competition? I honestly don't know what the answer is but it feels like the northern academies will have this one win removed while fighting the bundle of other obstacles and disadvantages that the traditional teams won't ever have to worry about.
The competition is inherently biased and will stay that way until the granny is rotated around the country. The northern clubs should fight for every advantage they have and (ideally) work together as a block.

Yes boring.
1a54fcc94b15de8d58b0836db3266780.jpg
550ce920eaa18d1ce80b76ba1fca5b54.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

Well I for one like the look of Sam, he could turn out to be a good utility player for us.
Always good to draft a player who has a premiership medal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What on earth was the point of delisting contracted players (like Wingard) if you're not moving them to the rookie list?? Was it to have an extra list spot to enter the draft with a pick to match a bid? That's the best I can come up with off the top of my head.

As long foretold, we've taken Indhi Kirk as a Cat B rookie.
Thanks Callipygian. I just wanted to give you a bit of an insight into the Sydney Academy. We’re a bunch of unique individuals – Gulden, Mills, Blakey, Heeney and myself. We’re gonna engage with our minds and our hearts. We’re gonna exchange ideas, thoughts and even our energy. And to play with your heart you need to have courage. You need to be honest and authentic. We’re not always gonna get it right. And sometimes, you’re not going to agree with us. But that’s okay, because just like you we care. Just like you, we’re passionate about the game. So if you want to come along for the ride, join us at the SCG, because we just love the footy.

What on earth was the point of delisting contracted players (like Wingard) if you're not moving them to the rookie list?? Was it to have an extra list spot to enter the draft with a pick to match a bid? That's the best I can come up with off the top of my head.

That was exactly the reason

Yes. It was probably marginal for the Hawks, but Gold Coast would have forgone pick 38 (or thereabouts) if they hadn't temporarily cleared Day off the list.

I'm more confused about why they relisted him. He barely played last season, and when he did (against us, very late in the season) he looked past it.

That was exactly the reason

Wow! That's amazing. Really feels like the tail wagging the dog or something. To expose a listed player to the vagaries of the PSD for the sake of a modest points advantage. Sheez. Innovative but surely there's a better way?

Yes. It was probably marginal for the Hawks, but Gold Coast would have forgone pick 38 (or thereabouts) if they hadn't temporarily cleared Day off the list.

I'm more confused about why they relisted him. He barely played last season, and when he did (against us, very late in the season) he looked past it.

Maybe because he's contracted? I guess they could have created an additional list spot by not re-listing him but they would have still had to pay his salary and presumably it would still count within the cap. Probably more value in having him on the list still available to play than still paying him and replacing him with someone from the back end of the draft that would be even less likely to succeed at AFL level? Maybe he has an injury and they're hopeful he will still recover to better than he was late this year? I'm just offering guesses.

Happy enough with our draft. Cleary & Snell the players I'm excited by. Keen for next year.
Adding Snell (or any other KPD) makes the end of the coming season very make or break for a number of defenders. I've never thought of any of them as lazy or in any negative vein like that but given that Arnold, Cunningham, Edwards, Florent, Fox, Francis, Melican, Reid and Vickery are all out of contract it's hard to imagine that with McCartin, Hamling, Lloyd, Blakey, Rampe and Snell on the books a few of them won't be delisted. Hard days ahead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back