Autopsy 2023 AFL Draft - Day 1 & 2 Kickoff at 7pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Think I'll bar myself from the 2024 draft thread.
Considering that I wanted us to take Schoenmaker at pick 12 (16) yet we wouldn't even take him at 53.
What a good judge am I!
No denying the talent, it sounds like attitude and professionalism are the concerns. Us amateurs can't know everything.

Gold Coast did well turning their points and players into a percentage increase in value but their biggest gain in value was getting the Eagles and north not to bid on Walter til pick 3. He was plausibly the best in the draft and it would have been reasonable to make them pay that.

People can talk about points discounts and stuff but the system still relies on clubs being willing to force matching clubs to pay market rates in a system where the key staff at clubs all know each other, value their reputations, expect to be on the other side of the table later and need to do business in future.

I think the Norf getting pick 3 for McKay is the biggest farce of the draft of 2023. The AFL should look closely at their compo formula first.

The fact that the formula didn't spit out

Fold or Relocate is a sign it's not working correctly.

W ankers at Fox have given our draft C-

We agree on something mate lol (is it another universe or something)

Ridiculous grade. Literally got what we wanted, you asked every sydney fan, they would have said Cleary plus two talls, we got it. Whilst I personally wanted Wilson I'm coming around to taking Green and it being a very smart pick.

I've always wanted the AFL to be a truly national competition but the Victorian clubs (and fans for that matter) have been so pathetic that I'm at the point now where I don't want a national comp, I want all the Vic teams folded and pissed off to North Korea
Collingwood are supportive, provided Dear Leader dictates that they never have to play away from Pyongyang.

We agree on something mate lol (is it another universe or something)

Ridiculous grade. Literally got what we wanted, you asked every sydney fan, they would have said Cleary plus two talls, we got it. Whilst I personally wanted Wilson I'm coming around to taking Green and it being a very smart pick.
You're coming around. Though Green, if we're to believe Kinnear, was our "best available".

Personally I'd have gone a KPP and taken May as a Cat B, but clearly we see a fair gap between Green and May, so no complaints from me. Cleary never in doubt. To add a KPD/swingman later is the icing on the cake for me. Even if Kinnear was still going best available early and me being a pleb, might have taken different players (same types), the outcomes are A grade from me.

If we go Cabor, maybe Gander as Cat B, even better. Though if we see Kirk as having potential down back, then ok.

West Coast are upset?

They took almost exclusively Vic kids in the draft, ignored the WA talent & then they’ll be moaning furiously in a few years time when the Vic clubs come waving Cotton-On cheques.

West Coast is like watching a train-wreck in slow motion.

And I love it.
No doubt Eagles are knocking on McDonalds door. Were probably in Warners ear before his new contract. Do they pay the same attention to Mills, Rowbottom or any of our other mids?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the talk of Academy picks and the perceived advantages yet the only player I can think of that has played in a flag recruited through an academy is Isaac Quaynor.

ps no research done here so there maybe more I'm unaware of.

Interesting to look back at the (failed) bids we’ve placed on other club’s academy kids prior to this year:

Bowes (10)
Cumming (20)
Mead (25)
Mitchito Owens (35)
Rowston (16)
Michalanney (17)

Not exactly a stellar line-up.

Interesting to look back at the (failed) bids we’ve placed on other club’s academy kids prior to this year:

Bowes (10)
Cumming (20)
Mead (25)
Mitchito Owens (35)
Rowston (16)
Michalanney (17)

Owens will be a star

Bowes (10)
Cumming (20)
Mead (25)
Mitchito Owens (35)
Rowston (16)
Michalanney (17)

Cumming isn't bad. Owens will be decent. Mead (F/S) I'm not convinced it wasn't at the request of the Crows with whom we swapped picks. Bit early on Rowston. Michalanney (F/S) had a good first year.

All the talk of Academy picks and the perceived advantages yet the only player I can think of that has played in a flag recruited through an academy is Isaac Quaynor.

ps no research done here so there maybe more I'm unaware of.
Might be right. Townsend was pre-selected by Giants, via zoning, and played with them prior to the AFL, but wasn't part of their academy (and then won with Tigers anyway).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back