List Mgmt. 2023 AFLW trade and draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Jorja Borg 25yr old.

I get why they have these state nominations but the top 10 or so should be available for all.

Cleaver would have been the one I’d have liked (let’s be real Turner who is a gun forward will go pick 1 and isn’t available for us)
You commented on my post mentioning Jorja that at 181 she was still on the short side. 🤯
Raison is the same height, plays mainly as a forward, captained WA U18 last year and pinch hits in the ruck. Good skills. Too short?
There are also a couple of really quality mids around our pick that warrant consideration such as Cleo Buttifant, Evie Long and Kayley Kavanagh. All nominated national and the first two mid-170s, Kayley 169. No forwards though which should IMO be a priority IF WE CAN.
Raison might fall to our second pick. The risk with Jorja is whether she can usefully spend 75% of her time not rucking.

You commented on my post mentioning Jorja that at 181 she was still on the short side. 🤯
Raison is the same height, plays mainly as a forward, captained WA U18 last year and pinch hits in the ruck. Good skills. Too short?
There are also a couple of really quality mids around our pick that warrant consideration such as Cleo Buttifant, Evie Long and Kayley Kavanagh. All nominated national and the first two mid-170s, Kayley 169. No forwards though which should IMO be a priority IF WE CAN.
Raison might fall to our second pick. The risk with Jorja is whether she can usefully spend 75% of her time not rucking.

They all are on the short side have queries with all of them beside the one going pick one (Turner who is a jet) and the girl tied to WA (name is just escaping me). I’d ideally like one in the 184-186cm range height is everything and it’s what we lacked last year.

If we go the small side I’d look at the small crumbing forward not the mid though please not our first selection we need some size up front.

If we get Jorja I’d have her starting in the ruck going fwd not the other way necessarily.

They all are on the short side have queries with all of them beside the one going pick one (Turner who is a jet) and the girl tied to WA (name is just escaping me). I’d ideally like one in the 184-186cm range height is everything and it’s what we lacked last year.

If we go the small side I’d look at the small crumbing forward not the mid though please not our first selection we need some size up front.

If we get Jorja I’d have her starting in the ruck going fwd not the other way necessarily
With the All Australian ruck in our side I think we would want her spending as much time in the ruck as possible. The second ruck (new or an existing player) needs to have enough skill to spend at least 40-50% TOG in another role. In the mens' this is usually the third tall forward. At 183 Mitchell or 180 A Hamilton have done that for us so far. Kate was very tall at 191 but could not hold down a role. This would be my concern with Jorja. Raison is like Hamilton in terms of role but the knock on her is her athleticism.
No use wishing for players we can't get.
The coaches will no doubt aim to strengthen our team as much as possible.

With the All Australian ruck in our side I think we would want her spending as much time in the ruck as possible. The second ruck (new or an existing player) needs to have enough skill to spend at least 40-50% TOG in another role. In the mens' this is usually the third tall forward. At 183 Mitchell or 180 A Hamilton have done that for us so far. Kate was very tall at 191 but could not hold down a role. This would be my concern with Jorja. Raison is like Hamilton in terms of role but the knock on her is her athleticism.
No use wishing for players we can't get.
The coaches will no doubt aim to strengthen our team as much as possible.

First pick needs to be a FWD of some variety we addressed the defence but if we go into bed season with no tall targets we aren’t going much better than we did. We don’t need midfielders already have too many. I’d definitely be targeting players 184cm or above ideally.

First pick needs to be a FWD of some variety we addressed the defence but if we go into bed season with no tall targets we aren’t going much better than we did. We don’t need midfielders already have too many. I’d definitely be targeting players 184cm or above ideally.
Have you looked at who is available to us?

Have you looked at who is available to us?

I have and this is why I’d be trying to trade up use a future to get in that top tier bracket, it won’t happen though. Just feel if we stay put nit sure the type of player is there and that’s a huge issue. Not as if either of the defenders we brought in are helping us FWD at a pinch.

I have and this is why I’d be trying to trade up use a future to get in that top tier bracket, it won’t happen though. Just feel if we stay put nit sure the type of player is there and that’s a huge issue. Not as if either of the defenders we brought in are helping us FWD at a pinch.
We have nothing to trade up with and nothing to draft if we get there. Of course it won't happen. It's just wishful thinking. We have to draft the best quality we can that gets us closest to the team we want. Same every year.
In the men's we wanted O'Sullivan, we got Snell. We would have loved to get Sanders, we got Cleary, we probably hit the mark with Green. You do the best with what you can get.

We have nothing to trade up with and nothing to draft if we get there. Of course it won't happen. It's just wishful thinking. We have to draft the best quality we can that gets us closest to the team we want. Same every year.
In the men's we wanted O'Sullivan, we got Snell. We would have loved to get Sanders, we got Cleary, we probably hit the mark with Green. You do the best with what you can get.

I get it just hope the plan isn’t another small midfielder when there’s already too many and Ham who is playing out of position forward with a full pre season hopefully is in the midfield next year. Just feel we have to be very careful we don’t do into next season with the same forward line

Just feel we have to be very careful we don’t do into next season with the same forward line
I don't really get this comment.

It's not about being careful. It's about what can be done. Trade period has come and gone, and we haven't traded in a tall marking forward target (unless they think one of the two tall defenders is convertible).

There aren't a lot of tall marking forwards available in the draft, certainly not a spots or in nomination regions available to us. And even if there were, it's unlikely that a tall we were to draft this year would come in and make an immediate difference. There isn't quite the same time required for women to reach size/strength that exists for men, but we should still expect young women coming into the competition to take some time to develop their craft, particularly in key position spots.

Furthermore, despite not really having a good, tall forward in 2023, our scoring improved greatly in season two on the back of better ball movement. Relative to other clubs outside the top handful, our scoring was better than our defence.

We need to be patient and realistic about how long it will take to bridge the gap to the genuine contenders. I don't think it will be good for the competition if the same few teams are the only ones genuinely contending in four or five years time, but that doesn't mean we should expect to jump up to that level next season. We just need more steady improvement. And, indeed, it is absolutely possible that we improve - in the sense of moving closer to the top teams - while winning fewer games and missing finals in 2024.

I don't really get this comment.

It's not about being careful. It's about what can be done. Trade period has come and gone, and we haven't traded in a tall marking forward target (unless they think one of the two tall defenders is convertible).

There aren't a lot of tall marking forwards available in the draft, certainly not a spots or in nomination regions available to us. And even if there were, it's unlikely that a tall we were to draft this year would come in and make an immediate difference. There isn't quite the same time required for women to reach size/strength that exists for men, but we should still expect young women coming into the competition to take some time to develop their craft, particularly in key position spots.

Furthermore, despite not really having a good, tall forward in 2023, our scoring improved greatly in season two on the back of better ball movement. Relative to other clubs outside the top handful, our scoring was better than our defence.

We need to be patient and realistic about how long it will take to bridge the gap to the genuine contenders. I don't think it will be good for the competition if the same few teams are the only ones genuinely contending in four or five years time, but that doesn't mean we should expect to jump up to that level next season. We just need more steady improvement. And, indeed, it is absolutely possible that we improve - in the sense of moving closer to the top teams - while winning fewer games and missing finals in 2024.

I do get that, but if we have the same forwardline where we came is about the max, and that's even with 3 AA seasons. Our lack of size and size targets up forward was a huge issue when it mattered against those real top sides. It is why I'd be hoping we don't go near any pure mids tonight, if we are going a non key tall, take a small defender or small forward.

I'll be supporting the girls regardless but I do hope we target needs in this draft, already have too many mids to fit in.

I do get that, but if we have the same forwardline where we came is about the max, and that's even with 3 AA seasons. Our lack of size and size targets up forward was a huge issue when it mattered against those real top sides. It is why I'd be hoping we don't go near any pure mids tonight, if we are going a non key tall, take a small defender or small forward.

I'll be supporting the girls regardless but I do hope we target needs in this draft, already have too many mids to fit in.
There's no point getting talls for the sake of getting talls. We need to find players who have the capability of being better than LHamilton and Smith as tall forwards or there's no point in getting them. And even if they might one day be better, they won't be next year.

I think quick ball movement through the ground, and composure with that last kick forward, and movement in the forward line (the arts of leading and crumbing), and decent conversion are all far more important to kicking better scores than height for the sake of height.

Watch live here:

Discuss draft night over on the Draft Thread here>>>

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just reread Sarah Black’s draft preview. I wouldn’t be unhappy if we took the player she softly links to us - Elaine Grigg. Certainly not a tall, but with Newman gone we could probably do with a really quick and agile small pressure forward. Beruldsen is quick but she’s a bit bigger and maybe not that agile. Plus we let Jaide Anthony go.

I just reread Sarah Black’s draft preview. I wouldn’t be unhappy if we took the player she softly links to us - Elaine Grigg. Certainly not a tall, but with Newman gone we could probably do with a really quick and agile small pressure forward. Beruldsen is quick but she’s a bit bigger and maybe not that agile. Plus we let Jaide Anthony go.
I'm up for anything that strengthens our forward line tonight.

Something that bugged me every year with Gil M during the men's draft, and that has been transferred over to Andrew Dillon, is the walking to and from the dais. Can't they get him to just stand there? Or give him a chair to sit on between picks if he can't stand still for an hour or two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back