2nds 2024 AFLW Swans playing in VFLW

Remove this Banner Ad

All the newbies looking like they have something to offer, which arguably vindicates my suggestions that we should have turned over more of our list. Hausegger terrific in defence. Cooper terrific in attack, and quick.
That comes with its own unique challenges given we cannot simply 'draft' a player from anywhere.

That comes with its own unique challenges given we cannot simply 'draft' a player from anywhere.

I know. And I also think there's a value in having experienced players in the team, and the continuity, and the connections. And you don't want to prune too savagely all at once. But still I feel like we have quite a lot of players in our senior team that I would hope will be superseded within a couple of seasons.

And, yes, I am optimistic that with a pick 60 or whatever we could draft players who are willing to come to NSW and who have more promise than numerous players on our list. I think that as women's footy has taken off the quality of recruits is going through the roof and the less talented old guard will be swiftly overtaken.

I could well be wrong, and the people at the club would know better than me. Until a few days ago I wasn't very optimistic about Beruldsen - but they've stuck with her and suddenly she's looking much more promising. So don't put me in charge of recruiting. I'll just stay in the peanut gallery being noisy.

I know. And I also think there's a value in having experienced players in the team, and the continuity, and the connections. And you don't want to prune too savagely all at once. But still I feel like we have quite a lot of players in our senior team that I would hope will be superseded within a couple of seasons.

And, yes, I am optimistic that with a pick 60 or whatever we could draft players who are willing to come to NSW and who have more promise than numerous players on our list. I think that as women's footy has taken off the quality of recruits is going through the roof and the less talented old guard will be swiftly overtaken.

I could well be wrong, and the people at the club would know better than me. Until a few days ago I wasn't very optimistic about Beruldsen - but they've stuck with her and suddenly she's looking much more promising. So don't put me in charge of recruiting. I'll just stay in the peanut gallery being noisy.
I think you've hit on a key point there.
As players spend more time in a professional environment many of them will improve substantially.
Ally Morphett being a prime example.
Can't wait to see what she can do with another preseason under her belt and with AA boosting her confidence.
Another example is Tanya Kennedy and how she improved through the season from the last player on the list to one of our best.

If Tanya Kennedy is the Beast (and she definitely is), then maybe Laura Gardiner can be the Machine. She's so reliable and can't be deflected or distracted from her task.

Maybe I can come up with something catchy for some of the others - Mon Ham, The Leviathan? Paige Sheppard - Scrat? Ally Morphett - 'Zilla? Sophia Hurley - Poetry In Motion? (PIM??) Or maybe I should just give silly monickers away and stick to my day job.

If Tanya Kennedy is the Beast (and she definitely is), then maybe Laura Gardiner can be the Machine. She's so reliable and can't be deflected or distracted from her task.

Maybe I can come up with something catchy for some of the others - Mon Ham, The Leviathan? Paige Sheppard - Scrat? Ally Morphett - 'Zilla? Sophia Hurley - Poetry In Motion? (PIM??) Or maybe I should just give silly monickers away and stick to my day job.
Gardiner is fantastic and for such a tiny person but I've been a fan of Kennedy from very early on. For me she's a true blood. Runs through brick walls. Epitomizes "hard". Gets every last ounce out of herself.

I’m a happy chappy because I’ve just realised that three of our five games are in Sydney, starting next weekend, at Henson Park, on a weekend that is otherwise footy free.

I had assumed that, because we’re gatecrashing the VFL, all our matches would be in Melbourne.
Having moved away from Sydney, I've very jealously watched the Henson Park games. I grew up very close and being able to wander down for an afternoon of what have apparently been high-quality footy events there would have been fantastic.

SYDNEY SWANS vs NORTH MELBOURNE​

Saturday 13 April, 1:05pm, Henson Park

SYDNEY SWANS
B:
G. Davies (20), L. Hausegger (26)
HB: K. Hillier (3), T. Kennedy (29), P. McCarthy (15)
C: E. Vale (23), L. Gardiner (31), I. Brown (6)
HF: M. Ham (18), B. Smith (11), M. Beruldsen (33)
F: C. Hamilton (10), H. Cooper (2)
R: L. Hamilton (30), C. Molloy (5), S. Hurley (25)
INT: A. Mitchell (8), B. Bailey (1), A. Whelan (22), P. Sheppard (4), S. Grunden (16)
EMG: A. Woodward

IN: B. Bailey, S. Hurley, A. Mitchell, C. Molloy, B. Smith

OUT: L. Steane, L. Szigeti, A. Woodward (AFLW), S. Gulden, A. Martin

NEW: VFLW DEBUT (AFLW LISTED): Sofia Hurley, 20, 166cm; Alice Mitchell, 22, 183cm; VFLW DEBUT (VFLW LISTED): Brooke Bailey, 22, East Coast Eagles; CLUB DEBUT (AFLW LISTED): Chloe Molloy, 25, 171cm (2021); Bella Smith, 22, 182cm

Saturday 13 April, 1:05pm, Henson Park

SYDNEY SWANS
B:
G. Davies (20), L. Hausegger (26)
HB: K. Hillier (3), T. Kennedy (29), P. McCarthy (15)
C: E. Vale (23), L. Gardiner (31), I. Brown (6)
HF: M. Ham (18), B. Smith (11), M. Beruldsen (33)
F: C. Hamilton (10), H. Cooper (2)
R: L. Hamilton (30), C. Molloy (5), S. Hurley (25)
INT: A. Mitchell (8), B. Bailey (1), A. Whelan (22), P. Sheppard (4), S. Grunden (16)
EMG: A. Woodward

IN: B. Bailey, S. Hurley, A. Mitchell, C. Molloy, B. Smith

OUT: L. Steane, L. Szigeti, A. Woodward (AFLW), S. Gulden, A. Martin

NEW: VFLW DEBUT (AFLW LISTED): Sofia Hurley, 20, 166cm; Alice Mitchell, 22, 183cm; VFLW DEBUT (VFLW LISTED): Brooke Bailey, 22, East Coast Eagles; CLUB DEBUT (AFLW LISTED): Chloe Molloy, 25, 171cm (2021); Bella Smith, 22, 182cm

Not knocking those making way but that's getting pretty close to an AFLW side!
Cheer cheer!

They're continuing the experiment/development (?) from last season and playing Smith forward.

They've moved Davies back. I guess we're checking out how she goes in different roles. She played forward and a bit of ruck last week.

They're having a look at Brooke Bailey. Bailey is a VFLW listed player who I know nothing about. I googled and found this: https://www.districtgazette.com.au/2024/01/26/risingtop/. Apparently she captained Australia to World Cup victory in OzTag and has twice won the trophy for best player in the Sydney Premier League! Quite the cv. She is 21 years old and has her sights on getting on to an AFLW list next season. I also found this highlight package: https://www.hudl.com/profile/15715245/brooke-bailey. Appears to be a midfielder who can go forward and kick goals. Very promising.

Good to see Imogen Brown getting another run after a good debut too.

So I’m finding this VFLW / AFLW thing a bit confusing. With the men it’s clear it serves as a reserves competition for the AFL clubs as the seasons run (nearly) concurrently.

But for the women it seems like a second AFLW competition (but without the WA and SA teams. I had kinda a xpected there to be restrictions on who the Swans could field but Molloy’s selection tomorrow puts that idea to bed.

Does anyone know what the deal is?

We're playing 5 games of VFLW to help us prepare for the AFLW season. Curiously, after we have played the 5 matches there will still be another 3 months until AFLW begins so I don't know how useful that is in terms of preparation but I guess it partially contemplates for our players not otherwise being able to play VFLW over this period.

All our VFLW matches have been fixtured against other clubs that have AFLW teams and so are in the same position as us. I don't know what the rules are normally but those other clubs are all allowed to play all their AFLW players against us. Unfortunately, last week the Bulldogs elected not to do so. I spoke to our coaching staff before the game and they said we are hoping the other clubs will play their AFLW players (I infer that is so we get a better quality hit out). In particular we're hoping that by belting the non-competitive VFLW teams and harming their percentage the upcoming opponents will be less complacent and will roll out their AFLW players for their matches against us.

The girls are playing NMFC now but I don't know how many AFLW listed players North Melbourne are playing. The only name I recognise is Sarah Hosking but I think she was delisted from another team (Carlton?) after last season. So, while I'm not very familiar with other teams AFLW lists it seems that North are also not using their AFLW players. Again, disappointing. We will have to live with beating what is put in front of us.

Does that help?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only name I recognise is Sarah Hosking but I think she was delisted from another team (Carlton?) after last season.
Jess Hosking was the one delisted from Richmond after last season (since picked up by West Coast). That aside, the Sarah Hosking who plays VFLW for North Melbourne is not the same Sarah Hosking who plays AFLW for Richmond.

The players in NM's team today with AFLW experience were Alana Barba (GC/Ess: 2022, 12 games) and Renee Tierney (Ess: 2022-23, 4 games).

The players in NM's team today with AFLW experience were Alana Barba (GC/Ess: 2022, 12 games) and Renee Tierney (Ess: 2022-23, 4 games).
Thanks for posting TW.

You may be more clued in than we Swans supporters given your club has been involved in the AFLW and VFLW for much longer.

How do most of the AFLW listed players of the big clubs spend the 35 weeks that the AFLW doesn’t run if they don’t, as a rule, play state level footy?

While it was good to get to see our women play today, I’m not entirely sure of the thought process behind a, maybe, 2/3 strength AFLW team play against a team with essentially no AFLW experienced players.

Thanks for posting TW.

You may be more clued in than we Swans supporters given your club has been involved in the AFLW and VFLW for much longer.

How do most of the AFLW listed players of the big clubs spend the 35 weeks that the AFLW doesn’t run if they don’t, as a rule, play state level footy?

While it was good to get to see our women play today, I’m not entirely sure of the thought process behind a, maybe, 2/3 strength AFLW team play against a team with essentially no AFLW experienced players.
Regarding Victorian players:

2017-19 it was common for most AFLW players to play half-a-dozen or more VFLW games throughout winter.

2020-23 it was rare for AFLW players to play VFLW at all (for a variety of reasons including covid complications and the double AFLW seasons in 2022).

Not much different to players in SA, WA & QLD except during 2020-21 when the SANFLW, WAFLW & QAFLW still had a fair bit of AFLW player involvement.

2024 so far has seen a far wider variety of approaches to VFLW, from clubs using a lot and some of their best AFLW players (Hawthorn used 18, including Emily Bates, before this weekend) to other clubs not using any (just so happens that WB and NM are the only clubs to have played 0 from their AFLW list).

Those that don't play state league footy outside of the AFLW window are either busy with other sports (pretty rare) and/or just scheduling a lot of skills and fitness training around regular day jobs (still pretty common). Clubs put on optional sessions throughout much of the "pre-pre-season".

I couldn't understand how we could field an AFLW team in a VFLW competition. The fixturing against other teams with AFLW teams seemed to resolve the issue and allay my concerns. But given these other teams are not playing their AFLW players it is treating the VFLW competition with contempt (kind of like they already do with the VFL). It's a completely uneven playing field if some teams have to play an AFLW side for premiership points and not only do they walk away without points but they also have a big hole blown in their percentage. However, both in the case of the VFLW and also with the VFL, it is even more the clubs than the AFL that are responsible for disrespecting the competition.

I think they will have to consider further how to handle the situation next season. In the longer term, hopefully, the AFLW has at least a 17 match H&A season. Possibly that will diminish the need to trample on the VFLW and there can just be a couple of pre-season games against other AFLW teams - but who knows. In the shorter term I think they need to consider how to make this work better.

Has anyone heard the VFLW teams complaining? Or are they just happy to get the opportunity to play against a higher level despite the damage to their aspirations for their own team's seasons?

Watched the mini-match on my phone but the camera is so distant I couldn't tell much of who was who. A lot like the first game only more so.
Lots of run.
Lots of pressure and tackling. Outnumbering at most contests.
More accurate kicking including some long shots.
Nearly always someone on the outside for the handball receive.
Looking very fit.
Delightful.

So I’m finding this VFLW / AFLW thing a bit confusing. With the men it’s clear it serves as a reserves competition for the AFL clubs as the seasons run (nearly) concurrently.

But for the women it seems like a second AFLW competition (but without the WA and SA teams. I had kinda a xpected there to be restrictions on who the Swans could field but Molloy’s selection tomorrow puts that idea to bed.

Does anyone know what the deal is?
VFLW is a lot more hit and miss with how much AFLW talent players. I don't know what the pay situation is, all the coaches are different, and the squads are larger, about 45 players I think.

I get the distinct impression our opponents aren't fielding their strongest sides, the Dogs team had no AFLW players last week.

Just to confirm, our opposition are most definitely not fielding their strongest sides. North Melbourne elected not to play any of their AFLW players, even though they could have. Apart from it being disappointing that we can't be challenged by stronger opposition, and the problems for the integrity of the VFLW competition, I also wonder if there are OHS issues. The AFLW players are a lot fitter and stronger on average and, I fear, more likely to injure VFLW level opponents.

I wasn't able to make it to Henson yesterday but am hoping I might make it to BISP next week as I will be returning from the Blue Mountains on Saturday.

I have now watched the full match replay and offer these observations:

* once again, it was difficult for our defenders to shine because the ball spent most of it's time forward of centre

* an impressively large number of our players were given a turn at centre bounces for us. I didn't keep count but I think most of the players got a run there at some stage.

* Tanya Kennedy is being played a bit more defensively so far this season, like a high defender/mid. She continues to excel (especially last week). This week she didn't see a lot of the footy but she looked great when she did and she seemed to be marshalling our players at times, which is incredible considering she only picked up the sport last year or so (not sure how much she had played in the Sydney competition before we recruited her).

* We didn't look so toey kicking for goal. Both the Hamiltons marked and had kicks for goal from 30+ metres in the last quarter and both went back and took their shots. Even better, they both kicked truly. Very encouraging improvement from last week.

* Beruldsen and McCarthy are both breaking out and looking like worthy AFLW players. Both only played 6 matches last year. Beruldsen has a hurdling background and McCarthy a background in basketball and Gaelic football, so they were coming from a low base in terms of footy knowledge and skills. Both have improved massively in their time at the Swans and now look like legitimate AFLW players. Beruldsen's main weapon is her pace. But she is looking stronger at the contest and using the ball better too. McCarthy has been playing in defence and has had less opportunities to shine but she is really tough and is looking composed and using the ball well.

* Bella Smith did quite well playing forward. Kicked 3.2 and had 17 disposals.

* Chloe Molloy and Sophia Hurley blew out the cobwebs. Molloy's class and defensive pressure stood out without her having an especially memorable game.

* Ruck duties were shared between Hamilton, Smith and Davies. They about broke even with the North Melbourne rucks. I wonder when Morphett will play. Opposition beware!

* Grunden had a decent game. She applied pressure. Used the ball well. Not flashy but useful. She is a right footer but reminds me of Blakey in the way that she kicks inboard craftily, especially going inside 50.

* Our VFLW players Brown and Bailey did well. Brown lacked a bit of polish but not endeavour. And she seems able to get her hands on the ball. Bailey had good energy and pressure in F50 and was confident when she went back to kick for goal (and got a couple of snags).

* From the opposition, Nyakoat Doijok caught the eye. An athletic beast. Fairly tall. Quick. Strong. Looked by far their biggest offensive threat. According to her rookie me profile the knock on her is that she lacks some composure but has great upside: https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/nyakoat-dojiok/. I think she should find her way on to an AFLW list. Too good not to give her a go.

* Hillier didn't stand out - but she was playing mostly defence (although she attended at least one centre bounce and also got forward and kicked a goal. She did better than Alice Mitchell who mostly stood out when she threw her weight around. At one stage she roughly knocked an opponent to the ground when she didn't have the ball and a free kick was awarded against us.

Fingers crossed that Casey play some AFLW players against us next week.

Official VFLW match review

Sydney Swans 6.2 9.4 13.10 17.12 (114)
North Melbourne 1.0 2.1 3.1 4.1 (25)

SYDNEY rolled out a cavalcade of stars and duly put North Melbourne to the sword, beating the highly touted Kangaroos by 89 points at Henson Park.

The Swans fielded 12 members of its 2023 AFLW semi-final team – including superstar Chloe Molloy, best-and-fairest winner Laura Gardiner and young gun trio Montana Ham, Cynthia Hamilton and Sofia Hurley, plus draftees Sarah Grunden and Lara Hausegger among 20 AFLW listed players.

And with the Kangaroos taking none of theirs on the plane, the Swans piled on six goals to one in the first quarter and never looked back to hand the visitors their highest score conceded and biggest VFLW defeat.

Sydney had 16 of the top 17 rated players on the ground and 12 of the top 13 ball winners, as they piled up 302 disposals to 160. The Swans also had more marks, clearances, inside-50s and tackles.

Gardiner was again the standout with 34 touches, five clearances and a goal. Molloy kicked two goals from 19 touches, while Bella Smith (17 disposals and three goals) and Montana Ham (21 disposals) were also influential and Hamilton and Brooke Bailey combined for five goals.

This article from Bastiani somewhat addresses the question we've been pondering about the role of the VFLW in preparing (or not) AFLW players.

This article from Bastiani somewhat addresses the question we've been pondering about the role of the VFLW in preparing (or not) AFLW players.
Really liked the bit about Molloy and Priv coaching. Great opportunity.

Really like her articles, always good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back