List Mgmt. 2023 AFLW trade and draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't agree we are not ruthless (Hannebery, Hewett, Sheather, Ling) - but I am also glad we are not always ruthless and that we show loyalty to great club servants (A.Johnson, Reid, Rampe) although it doesn't always work out and sometimes it's too generous (Naismith).

Woodward would not have been first on my chopping block although she wouldn't have been far off. We have a couple of players that just haven't played due to injury and it is impossible for me to assess them and I trust the club to do this. We got rid of Higgins and Reynolds - but we have hung on to Collier and Bullas and perhaps they will be amazing 'new' recruits for us next season. 🤞
The only one of the four you mention I thought we were ruthless with was Sheather. Hannebery and Ling were cooked and I'm sure knew. We arranged a very soft landing for Hewett to continue his career. I'll bet none were blindsided. To me that's the big thing.

I don't think we treated those players badly - just that we weren't sentimental and made the best choices to improve our list.

Moving on Hannebery mid-contract, against his preference when he was a beloved club hero was a really tough choice. The playing list and the supporters felt it. But it was a good call.

George Hewett gave us nothing but loyal, understated and excellent service. However we decided we had better uses for the cap space his salary was taking up and we moved him on (again, not his preference). Not because he wasn't good enough but just because we thought it was better for us. Sure we telegraphed it to him, and good on us for doing so, and then we were very reasonable and facilitated him getting to his option of choice but it was still ruthless. Ruthless doesn't have to be Collingwood getting rid of Ads, Stevo and Grundy. That was ruthless but it was also poorly handled (in part due to the poor list management decisions that had been made beforehand). We have succeeded in being classier and smarter in looking after our players even when we have chosen to part company.

The offloading of Rohan was another example. So was the decision to hold Papley to his contract when he wanted to return to Victoria.

Anyway, this is meant to be a thread about our AFLW team and I think I have wandered a bit far from there (felt unavoidable). The list management team is not the same as for our AFL team and I am really curious to know who are the list managers for our AFLW team. Is it just Kate & Scott? Surely not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back