List Mgmt. AFLW 2023 list + Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Callipygian

Team Player
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Now that our inaugural season is over, it's time to turn our minds to the future.

It was fantastic this year, at last, to have our own AFLW team. It was also heartening to see the support that there is for our team, the improvement the team made over the season, and the good morale that the team maintained to the end.

Despite being one of four expansion teams, we were the only team to finish winless and with a dismal percentage of 35.9% at that (much worse than any other team). In the 6 other completed seasons of the AFLW only one other team has ever finished winless: Gold Coast in 2021. [Richmond also finished winless after 6 matches in 2020 before the season was interrupted by Covid.] We can make excuses (very limited time to prepare for the season that was brought forward to August, difficulties recruiting players and staff in the short timeframe etc) but clearly we need to improve a lot before we become a force in the competition.

So, the question becomes: how? Obviously the team having more time to gel playing together, getting more seasoned and used to playing at AFLW level etc etc, will all play a big role. But another, more immediate issue will be what happens to our list.

Currently we have 32 players on the list. Many of those players will now be delisted. Other players may choose to depart to play elsewhere or get traded. Overall, I would estimate we will have a turnover of at least 10 players (we need to have a significant turnover to maximise our improvement).

This season we had to pull together a list quickly and we were limited to recruiting players who were able to transfer their lives to Sydney for a part-time job at just a couple of weeks' notice. One good point about this is that we have been able to trial a bunch of unproven players (many of them had never played AFLW) over the course of a season and we will have been able to sort the chaff from the grain so to speak and decide which of these players we want to keep. I am confident we will strengthen the remainder of our list by trade and through the draft.

We will, once again, have "pick 1" in the next draft (I used inverted commas because with the State-based nominations, the draft is hugely compromised and pick 1 doesn't necessarily mean the best player). Possibly we'll also get a priority pick, but I won't hold my breath. Hopefully we will be able to replicate our successes of last season and be able to persuade other top talents to nominate to play in NSW from interstate, like we did with Ham and Hurley this season. This time we won't have the element of surprise in our favour, and you can bet the Victorian teams will work harder to keep their local talent. I am optimistic that Ham and Hurley will stay, for now at least. We don't know when the next draft will be, but it seems likely to be mid-2023.

I will now make some attempt to run my eyes over our list and venture some opinions about who might stay and go. I preface my remarks by confessing I am not an avid AFLW watcher - I haven't even watched all our games, and very few involving other teams. So I will be much more interested to see what others have to say here.

Our 'leadership group' comprised: our captains Brooke Lochland, Lauren Szigeti, Maddie Collier; and also Lisa Steane, Alana Woodward, and Bec Privitelli. With the possible exception of Woodward (who will be 32 years old next July) I would expect all of these players to be retained. In my opinion Lochland has been a cut above most of our players, Szigeti has been terrific and Privitelli also has that bit of seasoning and class.

Our draftees were: Montana Ham, Sophia Hurley, Cynthia Hamilton, Montana Beruldsen and Alice Mitchell. The first three are sure to be retained. Alice Mitchell sustained an ACL injury in pre-season that ruled her out for the season. She was placed on the 'inactive list' and replaced by Genevieve Lawson-Tavan. Beruldsen was also placed on the inactive list due to a recurring knee injury and she was replaced by NSW ruck Kate Reynolds. Mitchell looked promising while Beruldsen was a more speculative pick coming from an athletics background. Both are at some risk of not getting contracts again next year.

Apart from the 8-9 players I have already indicated I expect to be retained, the others I think that are good bets to be retained if they're happy to stay are:

Ruby Sergeant-Wilson (the first player we listed and still only a teenager)
Ally Morphett (also a teenager, she has played pretty much every game this season and shows great promise)
Bella Smith (played every game and was solid playing mostly back and occasionally forward)
Ella Heads (in my opinion has had an outstanding debut season being really energetic and hard in defence and has played every game)
Lexi Hamilton (relatively experienced, tall, versatile and has played every game)

Those who I think we will probably want to retain (subject to who else is available) are:

Aliesha Newman (our most experienced player, but not a great defender)
Brenna Tarrant
Bridie Kennedy
Paige Sheppard
Sarah Dargan
Molly Eastman
Sarah Skinner
Aimee Whelan
Sarah Dargan
Aimee Whelan
Kiara Beesley

This leaves the following players who, in my estimation, have less certain futures:

Sarah Ford
Zoe Hurrell
Eliza Vale
Genevieve Lawson-Tavan
Tiarne Cavanagh
Kate Reynolds
Jaide Anthony
Alice Mitchell
Montana Beruldsen

What do others think? Who do you think we should cut or keep?

It is quite beyond me to imagine which players we might be targeting for trade or draft but I will watch with interest.

I will add to this thread as more information comes to hand about delistings, re-signings, and trade/draft news.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that our inaugural season is over, it's time to turn our minds to the future.

It was fantastic this year, at last, to have our own AFLW team. It was also heartening to see the support that there is for our team, the improvement the team made over the season, and the good morale that the team maintained to the end.

Despite being one of four expansion teams, we were the only team to finish winless and with a dismal percentage of 35.9% at that (much worse than any other team). In the 6 other completed seasons of the AFLW only one other team has ever finished winless: Gold Coast in 2021. [Richmond also finished winless after 6 matches in 2020 before the season was interrupted by Covid.] We can make excuses (very limited time to prepare for the season that was brought forward to August, difficulties recruiting players and staff in the short timeframe etc) but clearly we need to improve a lot before we become a force in the competition.

So, the question becomes: how? Obviously the team having more time to gel playing together, getting more seasoned and used to playing at AFLW level etc etc, will all play a big role. But another, more immediate issue will be what happens to our list.

Currently we have 32 players on the list. Many of those players will now be delisted. Other players may choose to depart to play elsewhere or get traded. Overall, I would estimate we will have a turnover of at least 10 players (we need to have a significant turnover to maximise our improvement).

This season we had to pull together a list quickly and we were limited to recruiting players who were able to transfer their lives to Sydney for a part-time job at just a couple of weeks' notice. One good point about this is that we have been able to trial a bunch of unproven players (many of them had never played AFLW) over the course of a season and we will have been able to sort the chaff from the grain so to speak and decide which of these players we want to keep. I am confident we will strengthen the remainder of our list by trade and through the draft.

We will, once again, have "pick 1" in the next draft (I used inverted commas because with the State-based nominations, the draft is hugely compromised and pick 1 doesn't necessarily mean the best player). Possibly we'll also get a priority pick, but I won't hold my breath. Hopefully we will be able to replicate our successes of last season and be able to persuade other top talents to nominate to play in NSW from interstate, like we did with Ham and Hurley this season. This time we won't have the element of surprise in our favour, and you can bet the Victorian teams will work harder to keep their local talent. I am optimistic that Ham and Hurley will stay, for now at least. We don't know when the next draft will be, but it seems likely to be mid-2023.

I will now make some attempt to run my eyes over our list and venture some opinions about who might stay and go. I preface my remarks by confessing I am not an avid AFLW watcher - I haven't even watched all our games, and very few involving other teams. So I will be much more interested to see what others have to say here.

Our 'leadership group' comprised: our captains Brooke Lochland, Lauren Szigeti, Maddie Collier; and also Lisa Steane, Alana Woodward, and Bec Privitelli. With the possible exception of Woodward (who will be 32 years old next July) I would expect all of these players to be retained. In my opinion Lochland has been a cut above most of our players, Szigeti has been terrific and Privitelli also has that bit of seasoning and class.

Our draftees were: Montana Ham, Sophia Hurley, Cynthia Hamilton, Montana Beruldsen and Alice Mitchell. The first three are sure to be retained. Alice Mitchell sustained an ACL injury in pre-season that ruled her out for the season. She was placed on the 'inactive list' and replaced by Genevieve Lawson-Tavan. Beruldsen was also placed on the inactive list due to a recurring knee injury and she was replaced by NSW ruck Kate Reynolds. Mitchell looked promising while Beruldsen was a more speculative pick coming from an athletics background. Both are at some risk of not getting contracts again next year.

Apart from the 8-9 players I have already indicated I expect to be retained, the others I think that are good bets to be retained if they're happy to stay are:

Ruby Sergeant-Wilson (the first player we listed and still only a teenager)
Ally Morphett (also a teenager, she has played pretty much every game this season and shows great promise)
Bella Smith (played every game and was solid playing mostly back and occasionally forward)
Ella Heads (in my opinion has had an outstanding debut season being really energetic and hard in defence and has played every game)
Lexi Hamilton (relatively experienced, tall, versatile and has played every game)

Those who I think we will probably want to retain (subject to who else is available) are:

Aliesha Newman (our most experienced player, but not a great defender)
Brenna Tarrant
Bridie Kennedy
Paige Sheppard
Sarah Dargan
Molly Eastman
Sarah Skinner
Aimee Whelan
Sarah Dargan
Aimee Whelan
Kiara Beesley

This leaves the following players who, in my estimation, have less certain futures:

Sarah Ford
Zoe Hurrell
Eliza Vale
Genevieve Lawson-Tavan
Tiarne Cavanagh
Kate Reynolds
Jaide Anthony
Alice Mitchell
Montana Beruldsen

What do others think? Who do you think we should cut or keep?

It is quite beyond me to imagine which players we might be targeting for trade or draft but I will watch with interest.

I will add to this thread as more information comes to hand about delistings, re-signings, and trade/draft news.
It's going to be tough for Sydney in this upcoming draft unless the AFL bends the rules for them. You don't want to lose too many players because your first-round pick isn't worth its number. Gowans has said before that he is more interested in Victorian state talent than Sydney. But with this draft being a complete state league draft most Victorians will nominate Victoria.

That being said there are a few options in the draft, I do believe you will need to cut three for the draft per the rules of AFLW. However, because you have two players coming back you may need to cut five. As far as Sydney talent is concerned, Dakota Mason was an academy prospect that looked promising. Jayde Hamilton, the middle child of the Hamilton family could provide some help in the midfield. A few other possibilities from the previous draft combine are Emily Eaves, Jemima Wrigley, and Ellie Bishop.

I think it's all about trading smart for next year's draft when it comes to the Swans and the Giants.

I'm actually a bit confused about when the next AFLW draft will be and how it's going to work. I've now read about a 'mature age' draft that is going to happen before the next proper draft: FAQ | The 2023 Over-age Draft.

The next proper may not happen until after the next AFLW season. Here's an article about some draft prospects for that draft: 23 in 2023: AFLW Draft Ones to Watch.

If this is true then that really makes it harder for us to improve and will decrease the amount of turnover of our list. I'm not sure whether they need to do it this way. I guess if the players selected in the last draft (where we got Montana Ham etc) were those born in 2004 then it makes sense that the next proper draft will feature those born in 2005 and beyond. That draft doesn't have to happen the same time as the men's draft or close to it, but should be after the potential draftees have had a chance to show their wares. I guess it's going to depend on when the women's season is going to wind up running in the longer term.

It's giving me headaches but it will make a big difference to our draft and trade options and strategies.

Last edited:

Did Isaac Smith in the commentary on our game with Geelong mention there were only 7? players from their inaugural year still playing?
Geelong AFLW first year was 2019.

We only had a few players who were consistently up to the standard week in, week out. Having watched all the games, I'd be actively trying to keep Hurley, Ham, Heads, Privitelli, Lochland CHamilton, Smith and Newman. Kennedy, Dargan, Szigeti, LHamiltob and Morphett had their moments and most probably will be re-signed. The rest most probably will have to see who is signed by the club for next year.

If we can at least half a dozen AFLW standard players for next year and get some growth from the existing ones, we will win a few next season.

All up though, I really enjoyed having a team to cheer for. They showed good improvement and looking forward to season 2023.

Did Isaac Smith in the commentary on our game with Geelong mention there were only 7? players from their inaugural year still playing?
Geelong AFLW first year was 2019.
7 playing on the weekend. The remaining players from each team's inaugural list:
Adelaide: 5 (plus 2 on inactive list)
Sarah Allan, Anne Hatchard, Ebony Marinoff, Chelsea Randall, Stevie-Lee Thompson (plus Dayna Cox and Deni Varnhagen on inactive list)

Brisbane: 6
Ally Anderson, Emily Bates, Shannon Campbell, Kate Lutkins, Breanna Koenen, Sharni Webb

Carlton: 4
Breann Moody, Natalie Plane, Gabriella Pound, Darcy Vescio

Collingwood: 5
Brittany Bonnici, Sophie Casey, Steph Chiocci, Stacey Livingstone, Ruby Schleicher

Fremantle: 5 (plus 1 on inactive list)
Ebony Antonio, Kara Antonio, Kiara Bowers, Hayley Miller, Gabby O’Sullivan (plus Ashley Sharp on inactive list)

GWS Giants: 2
Nicola Barr, Rebecca Beeson

Melbourne: 5
Sarah Lampard, Lily Mithen, Karen Paxman, Daisy Pearce, Lauren Pearce

W. Bulldogs: 4
Ellie Blackburn, Bailey Hunt, Kirsty Lamb, Kirsten McLeod

Geelong: 10
Georgia Clarke, Julia Crockett-Grills, Kate Darby, Renee Garing, Maddy Keryk, Meg McDonald, Maddy McMahon, Nina Morrison, Georgie Rankin, Rebecca Webster

North Melb.: 9
Sophie Abbatangelo, Nicole Bresnehan, Jenna Bruton, Jasmine Garner, Danielle Hardiman, Emma Kearney, Emma King, Tahlia Randall, Ashleigh Riddell

Gold Coast: 7 (plus 1 on inactive list)
Lauren Ahrens, Lauren Bella, Tori Groves-Little, Ellie Hampson, Kalinda Howarth, Jamie Stanton, Serene Watson (plus Jade Pregelj on inactive list)

Richmond: 11
Maddy Brancatisano, Katie Brennan, Hannah Burchell, Monique Conti, Kate Dempsey, Kodi Jacques, Laura McClelland, Rebecca Miller, Sophie Molan, Courtney Wakefield, Gabby Seymour

St Kilda: 12
Rosie Dillon, Nat Exon, Clara Fitzpatrick, Caitlin Greiser, Darcy Guttridge, Molly McDonald, Georgia Patrikios, Hannah Priest, Kate Shierlaw, Olivia Vesely, Tarni White, Nicola Xenos

West Coast: 8
Kate Bartlett, Hayley Bullas, Imahra Cameron, Kellie Gibson, Dana Hooker, Sophie McDonald, Belinda Smith, Emma Swanson

I'd love to see some more discussion around our 2023 list, even though it's a long way before the 2023 season and there are a lot of unknowns.

I think my earlier post has aged pretty well in light of the B&F results: Hamilton crowned inaugural AFLW Club Champion. Ella Heads finished top 5 and is a local girl so I think she's definitely going to be retained now. Eastman and Sheppard also impressively finished in the top 10 and I think they have bumped themselves into my 'good bets to be retained if they want to stay' category.

Other than that, the other mild (and very pleasant) surprise is that our young guns Hamilton, Ham and Hurley didn't merely finish top 10 in the B&F but fully filled the podium top 3 places! That augurs very well for our future. It is also really encouraging to hear Ham and Hurley, both from Victoria, speak so positively about the club and describe their move to Sydney as the best thing they have ever done - it allays any concerns I may have had about them being tempted back to Victoria.

The first two de-listings have been confirmed: Zoe Hurrell and Genevieve Lawson-Tavan. Still no surprises.

I think we can pretty much lock in Ella Heads retention too (even more than we already could).

We'll get #1 in next years draft - I've got to study up on the draftees. No actual date for AFLW draft other than 'early next year'.

Midfield and up forward needs some work - and despite us getting whacked I'm happy with defence. I think we've got some good bones down back. But when the ball is getting turned over constantly up field its difficult to stem the tide.

Last edited:
We'll get #1 in next years draft - I've got to study up on the draftees. No actual date for AFLW draft other than 'early next year'.

Midfield and up forward needs some work - and despite us getting whacked I'm happy with defence. I think we've got some good bones down back. But when the ball is getting turned over constantly up field its difficult to stem the tide.

Unfortunately there isn't going to be a proper draft before the next AFLW season, only a 'mature age draft' from what I hear.

Unfortunately there isn't going to be a proper draft before the next AFLW season, only a 'mature age draft' from what I hear.
It seems you're correct.

THE AFLW is expected to hold a one-off overage national draft in the coming months as a stop-gap between its shortened seasons.

After completing two campaigns in the space of eight months throughout 2022 to re-align the AFLW fixture, it's understood the next NAB AFLW Draft – expected to fall either in February or March next year – will only consider players 19 years of age or above.

It's believed that after next year's overage draft, the League then plans to revert back to a traditional national draft – where the junior season falls more in sync with the AFLW campaign and the majority of the talent pool will be made up of 18-year-olds – from the end of 2023 onwards.

It seems you're correct.

THE AFLW is expected to hold a one-off overage national draft in the coming months as a stop-gap between its shortened seasons.

After completing two campaigns in the space of eight months throughout 2022 to re-align the AFLW fixture, it's understood the next NAB AFLW Draft – expected to fall either in February or March next year – will only consider players 19 years of age or above.

It's believed that after next year's overage draft, the League then plans to revert back to a traditional national draft – where the junior season falls more in sync with the AFLW campaign and the majority of the talent pool will be made up of 18-year-olds – from the end of 2023 onwards.
The girls showed alot of ticker this year but doubt we will be much further up the ladder next season (post mature age draft). So we should get a top pick at the end of 2023 anyway.

As well, there is the additional factor of needing to convince draftees to nominate for the Sydney part of the draft, like Ham and Hurley did. Speaking of Hurley, I wouldn't be surprised if she turns out to be our first bona fide superstar - she has AA written all over her.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The girls showed alot of ticker this year but doubt we will be much further up the ladder next season (post mature age draft). So we should get a top pick at the end of 2023 anyway.

As well, there is the additional factor of needing to convince draftees to nominate for the Sydney part of the draft, like Ham and Hurley did. Speaking of Hurley, I wouldn't be surprised if she turns out to be our first bona fide superstar - she has AA written all over her.
There's some really exciting players in the team. We're coming from a long way back.

I'm excited to see how we take advantage of the new facilities together with a full offseason of conditioning and training together.

One PSP down 4 to go. Game on bitches! Molloy is going to be a fantastic addition to the team and exactly what we needed.

Best Friends Reaction GIF

Key Upcoming Dates:

THE AFL and AFLPA are pleased to announce that a Heads of Agreement (HOA) has been reached for the player movement period ahead of the 2023 AFLW Season (Season Eight).

Clubs and players were contacted today with a summary of the arrangements for a 'Priority Signing Period' as determined by the AFL.

Clubs and players also communicated a 'Sign and Trade Period' that will take place as a new CBA is being negotiated between the AFL and AFLPA.

KEY DATES

• Priority Signing Period (PSP): 1 March (9am) – 8 March (2pm)
  • Sign and Trade Period: 10 March (9am) – 20 March (3pm)
Priority Signing Period

The Priority Signing Period (PSP) will allow the four AFLW Season Seven expansion clubs – Essendon, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide and the Sydney Swans – to sign 'PSP players' without a trade.

Note: The Swans are permitted to sign 5 under the PSP

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back