List Mgmt. 2023 AFLW trade and draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Callipygian

Team Player
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
As the pointy end of the AFLW season descends upon us (already!) it is not too soon to start turning our minds to the AFLW trade and draft. It could be next thing on the agenda for the Swans AFLW team as soon as Monday if we miss finals.

The trade period will be 7-14 December 2023 (straight after the 3 December 2023 Grand Final). The draft will follow on 18 December 2023.

Trade

I'm not sure but I think that pick trading is permitted (can anyone clarify?). Not sure about trading future picks.

I don't know about you but:

• having brought in Molloy, Gardiner and McEvoy, and
  • with Hurley and Ham developing nicely and
  • with the addition of Kennedy,

I'm thinking our greatest need is for KPPs rather than midfielders.

Currently we have basically no KPP depth. We've got Mitchell, Lexi Hamilton and Smith plus two rucks. Maybe you can include Privitelli at a stretch because she plays taller than she is. And I don't think of Heads as a tall, but at 175 cm she is taller than Privitelli and described as a "key defender" on our website. In any event, there are no spares outside the 23.

I know some of us are unconvinced about the value of talls in the AFLW (I'm thinking of you Whereisbuddy - I hope I've got the right poster, apologies if I have mixed you up) but personally I think talls are pretty valuable, particularly when they are mobile (I'm thinking of players like Bannan at Melbourne or even our own Privitelli). You need to be able to take marks inside 50 and you need to be able to defend against the other team doing the same. On the weekend just gone the best team in the comp, the Demons, played with Campbell, Gall, Zanker and Bannan (all front half talls) plus they have Tayla Harris in reserve somewhere (not sure why she wasn't playing - I don't really follow teams apart from ours). Plus they had Wilson, Birch and Gillard (ruck/defender) as well as their 2x AA ruck Lauren Pearce.

I have no idea who we target but I'd like to see us bring in a couple of talls, at least one via trade (ready to play) and maybe another via the draft. That's without delisting any of those we have already. If we decide we can upgrade any of them then we could bring in even more.

Overall, I feel like we have an opportunity to significantly improve our list. Last year we were compelled to start with a list that were pretty much the dregs of the AFLW (I feel bad using such a harsh word) plus some young talent, which partly accounts for us losing every game. Over the last off season we did a fantastic job of improving our list but I think there is still plenty of room to further improve.

An additional reason we might look to trade to improve our list is because we won't have as strong a hand at the draft this time around.

When it comes to trading, I think we've got some good things going for us. First, I think Gowans has a good idea of who's who in the AFLW and who might be worth targeting plus he already has relationships with a lot of players playing at other clubs given his connections with the Dandenong Stingrays and Vic Country at junior level, and with Carlton, North Melbourne and Collingwood at senior level. No doubt that already helped us to lure Molloy, McEvoy, Smith and Newman at least.

Second, I think there is every reason to be hopeful that we can become a destination club. We seem to have built a good culture very quickly. We're a team that is going places as evidenced by our huge improvement this season and generous quantity of young talent. We have the best training facilities of any club in the land (of any sport). We have the great Sydney climate and environment. We have valuable links with UNSW and a club that is good at helping players find other jobs. And we have a club that is right at the forefront of integrating our AFLW program into the fabric of the club. We also have the biggest membership and the biggest crowds of any team in the comp bar none.

For all these reasons, I'm optimistic that we can bring in some valuable additions to improve our list and replace some of the players that are perhaps less suited to AFLW level.

I have no idea if there are any players that will want to leave (like Eastman last season). I can't imagine us wanting to trade out any player good enough to have trade currency.

I wonder how many players we will turnover? I think we will have at least 5 players depart and probably more, even with the smaller list sizes. It wouldn't surprise me if it was 8 or even more (actually I think it would excite me). Players who could be nervous: Ford (I can't see her surviving), Woodward (already 33 yo), Kennedy, Vale, Higgins, Beruldsen (seems to be getting games so she might be alright), Collier (she's probably a good player but we wouldn't know because she's been injured the whole time she's been here), Beesley. No idea about Bullas. Reynolds has the fact that she is the tallest player in the comp going for her. Hard to say with Anthony - she's only 19, probably she gets a bit longer to prove herself. The likes of Whelan, Sheppard, Newman and even Sargent-Wilson and Szigeti are our mid-range players who are likely to be retained but I wouldn't bet the house on any of them. Szigeti for instance might have more chance of getting games elsewhere going forward and she may prefer to return to Victoria.

Draft

For a couple of reasons we aren't as likely to have a huge windfall at the draft as we did when we got Ham, Hurley & Hamilton.

First, and perhaps most importantly, the AFL has closed the rule that enabled players to nominate the state they want to go to (except for their home state), thereby denying us the opporunity to shield from 16 other clubs players we persuaded to nominate NSW. Fortunately we made the most of that rule while it was there and capitalised by nabbing Ham & Hurley.

Second, our vastly improved second season means that we won't be getting pick 1. Possibly we won't even get a top 10 pick.

Third, the pool of talent coming from NSW is very shallow. Rookie Me has created a power rankings list of their 40 top prospects. Only one of them (Holly Cooper listed at #32) is from the Swans Academy. There are another couple that might nominate NSW (in particular Cleo Buttifant) but they are more linked with GWS. A lot of the very best players will be pre-listed and not even make it to the draft, including it seems all of Rookie Me's top 3 ranked players and 4 of their top 5.

We have the ability to pre-list certain players (not sure if they have to be Swans Academy or what the criteria are) but given I think we can hold over these 'pre-list' spots until next year, perhaps we would rather do that since there aren't many NSW/Swans players who are outstanding talents. According to Rookie Me, the 2024 draft is looming as the AFLW's first super draft, so it might be worth hanging on to the right to pre-list players then (although, sadly, none of the names mentioned are from NSW): Will 2024 be the first AFLW Super Draft?.

A fourth disadvantage is that when it comes to players that do nominate NSW, GWS will get first dibs on them in each round of the draft. (That is, subject to any trading manoeuvres we can pull off - would it be worth our splitting our first pick if we could turn it into two picks before GWS' second pick?)

The upshot of all this is that we may mostly be drafting from the players which nominate themselves to the 'national' pool - and it seems that will be less than half of the top prospects. There will probably only be a handful of players who would be natural first-rounders who will be available to choose from. Hopefully they haven't been snapped up by the time our pick comes around! I think we might have to cross our fingers about the Tasmanian players.

Still, as with every draft, it will certainly be exciting to see who we draft and then to see them develop.

Here is the link to the Rookie Me power rankings: AFLW Draft Power Rankings: October 2023.

Here is a link to an article with all the key dates: AFLW draft and trade dates locked in, BnF night confirmed.

As the pointy end of the AFLW season descends upon us (already!) it is not too soon to start turning our minds to the AFLW trade and draft. It could be next thing on the agenda for the Swans AFLW team as soon as Monday if we miss finals.

The trade period will be 7-14 December 2023 (straight after the 3 December 2023 Grand Final). The draft will follow on 18 December 2023.

Trade

I'm not sure but I think that pick trading is permitted (can anyone clarify?). Not sure about trading future picks.

I don't know about you but:

• having brought in Molloy, Gardiner and McEvoy, and
  • with Hurley and Ham developing nicely and
  • with the addition of Kennedy,

I'm thinking our greatest need is for KPPs rather than midfielders.

Currently we have basically no KPP depth. We've got Mitchell, Lexi Hamilton and Smith plus two rucks. Maybe you can include Privitelli at a stretch because she plays taller than she is. And I don't think of Heads as a tall, but at 175 cm she is taller than Privitelli and described as a "key defender" on our website. In any event, there are no spares outside the 23.

I know some of us are unconvinced about the value of talls in the AFLW (I'm thinking of you Whereisbuddy - I hope I've got the right poster, apologies if I have mixed you up) but personally I think talls are pretty valuable, particularly when they are mobile (I'm thinking of players like Bannan at Melbourne or even our own Privitelli). You need to be able to take marks inside 50 and you need to be able to defend against the other team doing the same. On the weekend just gone the best team in the comp, the Demons, played with Campbell, Gall, Zanker and Bannan (all front half talls) plus they have Tayla Harris in reserve somewhere (not sure why she wasn't playing - I don't really follow teams apart from ours). Plus they had Wilson, Birch and Gillard (ruck/defender) as well as their 2x AA ruck Lauren Pearce.

I have no idea who we target but I'd like to see us bring in a couple of talls, at least one via trade (ready to play) and maybe another via the draft. That's without delisting any of those we have already. If we decide we can upgrade any of them then we could bring in even more.

Overall, I feel like we have an opportunity to significantly improve our list. Last year we were compelled to start with a list that were pretty much the dregs of the AFLW (I feel bad using such a harsh word) plus some young talent, which partly accounts for us losing every game. Over the last off season we did a fantastic job of improving our list but I think there is still plenty of room to further improve.

An additional reason we might look to trade to improve our list is because we won't have as strong a hand at the draft this time around.

When it comes to trading, I think we've got some good things going for us. First, I think Gowans has a good idea of who's who in the AFLW and who might be worth targeting plus he already has relationships with a lot of players playing at other clubs given his connections with the Dandenong Stingrays and Vic Country at junior level, and with Carlton, North Melbourne and Collingwood at senior level. No doubt that already helped us to lure Molloy, McEvoy, Smith and Newman at least.

Second, I think there is every reason to be hopeful that we can become a destination club. We seem to have built a good culture very quickly. We're a team that is going places as evidenced by our huge improvement this season and generous quantity of young talent. We have the best training facilities of any club in the land (of any sport). We have the great Sydney climate and environment. We have valuable links with UNSW and a club that is good at helping players find other jobs. And we have a club that is right at the forefront of integrating our AFLW program into the fabric of the club. We also have the biggest membership and the biggest crowds of any team in the comp bar none.

For all these reasons, I'm optimistic that we can bring in some valuable additions to improve our list and replace some of the players that are perhaps less suited to AFLW level.

I have no idea if there are any players that will want to leave (like Eastman last season). I can't imagine us wanting to trade out any player good enough to have trade currency.

I wonder how many players we will turnover? I think we will have at least 5 players depart and probably more, even with the smaller list sizes. It wouldn't surprise me if it was 8 or even more (actually I think it would excite me). Players who could be nervous: Ford (I can't see her surviving), Woodward (already 33 yo), Kennedy, Vale, Higgins, Beruldsen (seems to be getting games so she might be alright), Collier (she's probably a good player but we wouldn't know because she's been injured the whole time she's been here), Beesley. No idea about Bullas. Reynolds has the fact that she is the tallest player in the comp going for her. Hard to say with Anthony - she's only 19, probably she gets a bit longer to prove herself. The likes of Whelan, Sheppard, Newman and even Sargent-Wilson and Szigeti are our mid-range players who are likely to be retained but I wouldn't bet the house on any of them. Szigeti for instance might have more chance of getting games elsewhere going forward and she may prefer to return to Victoria.

Draft

For a couple of reasons we aren't as likely to have a huge windfall at the draft as we did when we got Ham, Hurley & Hamilton.

First, and perhaps most importantly, the AFL has closed the rule that enabled players to nominate the state they want to go to (except for their home state), thereby denying us the opporunity to shield from 16 other clubs players we persuaded to nominate NSW. Fortunately we made the most of that rule while it was there and capitalised by nabbing Ham & Hurley.

Second, our vastly improved second season means that we won't be getting pick 1. Possibly we won't even get a top 10 pick.

Third, the pool of talent coming from NSW is very shallow. Rookie Me has created a power rankings list of their 40 top prospects. Only one of them (Holly Cooper listed at #32) is from the Swans Academy. There are another couple that might nominate NSW (in particular Cleo Buttifant) but they are more linked with GWS. A lot of the very best players will be pre-listed and not even make it to the draft, including it seems all of Rookie Me's top 3 ranked players and 4 of their top 5.

We have the ability to pre-list certain players (not sure if they have to be Swans Academy or what the criteria are) but given I think we can hold over these 'pre-list' spots until next year, perhaps we would rather do that since there aren't many NSW/Swans players who are outstanding talents. According to Rookie Me, the 2024 draft is looming as the AFLW's first super draft, so it might be worth hanging on to the right to pre-list players then (although, sadly, none of the names mentioned are from NSW): Will 2024 be the first AFLW Super Draft?.

A fourth disadvantage is that when it comes to players that do nominate NSW, GWS will get first dibs on them in each round of the draft. (That is, subject to any trading manoeuvres we can pull off - would it be worth our splitting our first pick if we could turn it into two picks before GWS' second pick?)

The upshot of all this is that we may mostly be drafting from the players which nominate themselves to the 'national' pool - and it seems that will be less than half of the top prospects. There will probably only be a handful of players who would be natural first-rounders who will be available to choose from. Hopefully they haven't been snapped up by the time our pick comes around! I think we might have to cross our fingers about the Tasmanian players.

Still, as with every draft, it will certainly be exciting to see who we draft and then to see them develop.

Here is the link to the Rookie Me power rankings: AFLW Draft Power Rankings: October 2023.

Here is a link to an article with all the key dates: AFLW draft and trade dates locked in, BnF night confirmed.
Great effort!

We can also pre sign up to 3 Academy players this year at no cost of draft pics. Marnie Robinson, Olivia Morris and Holly Cooper seem the most likely.

Last edited:
Thanks Aardvark - I meant to mention Marnie Robinson in my preview but I forgot. Lots of other good links there that I will check out too!

I also meant to point out how dismally the Allies team did at the national carnival when discussing how shallow the NSW talent pool is when it comes to high end talent.

If GWS take best available with their first selection, that may leave it open to us to take Cleo Buttifant who might be best available to us when our selection comes around given the number of players that will not nominate nationally. However, GWS will be aware of this risk and may take measures to prevent this e.g. trading up to get an extra pick before our first selection. Will be interesting to watch those machinations closer to the date of the draft.

October draft rankings - we need some KPF cover I think for sure.

Players Swans can draft from the NSW pool
#17 - Cleo Buttifant - Defender
#32 - Holly Cooper - Midfielder

No KPF unfortunately so we'll have to see what we can trade for.
From a Draft perspective Georgia Clark might be in our range #16.

Last edited:
Am I right in thinking that Port can pre-list Young and Goody and then take Window with pick 4 in the draft (which should be straightforward if they can persuade her to only nominate for her home state)? That will be quite the heist if they get all of the (currently) top 3 rated players in the country.

Bloody oath! Getting the #1 pick would not nearly compensate for losing Ally Morphett! Remember that Gowans has described her as having the potential to be the best player in the game and she is AA nominated, plus:

1. 3 or 4 of the top 5 players are going to be pre-listed - so it is a severely compromised draft at the very pointy end; and

2. We will only be able to use that #1 pick to select a player who has nominated to the national pool - not just for her own state.

Getting a player like Morphett is the dream scenario of what you can do with the #1 pick - except they will be a couple of years behind in their development.

Still, it will be Ally's call, and if she goes we'll just have to make the best of it and be grateful she wants to go to a club that holds the #1 pick. Fingers and toes crossed that she chooses to stay and is sufficiently excited by what she's seen so far. Still 5 year contract plus better money is what enabled us to get Molloy who was embedded with the Pies so will understand if she goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloody oath! Getting the #1 pick would not nearly compensate for losing Ally Morphett! Remember that Gowans has described her as having the potential to be the best player in the game and she is AA nominated, plus:

1. 3 or 4 of the top 5 players are going to be pre-listed - so it is a severely compromised draft at the very pointy end; and

2. We will only be able to use that #1 pick to select a player who has nominated to the national pool - not just for her own state.

Getting a player like Morphett is the dream scenario of what you can do with the #1 pick - except they will be a couple of years behind in their development.

Still, it will be Ally's call, and if she goes we'll just have to make the best of it and be grateful she wants to go to a club that holds the #1 pick. Fingers and toes crossed that she chooses to stay and is sufficiently excited by what she's seen so far. Still 5 year contract plus better money is what enabled us to get Molloy who was embedded with the Pies so will understand if she goes.
I'm hoping she doesn't want to go to lower team - aka the Dogs- now that the Swans are winning. I know we signed Molloy to a 5 yr deal but Ally is just starting and as you rightly pointed out she is going to be a weapon of the future and well on the path to being a star of the competition. Losing her this early in her career would be devastating, its hard enough to get players to NSW but lose one of our own to Vic would be heart breaking.

Last edited:
Given the scarcity of top level talent in NSW this would be a scourge on the competition if it happens. No shade on Ally personally, she has to do what's right for her, but stripping NSW talent out of NSW given how hard it is to get it running the other way is just plain wrong.

Really hoping we can hang on to Ally. She will be exceedingly difficult to replace and was close to our most valuable/dangerous player in most of the matches she played this year. I'm sure we're doing all we can but I think the way AFLW salary structures work there are a finite number of players that can fill 'marquee' type positions and they have already been given out to Molloy and McEvoy.

I wonder what sort of a deal Lochland is on. She was so important to us last year and was the closest we had to a marquee player then. But now she isn't in our top 10 most important players. Can we free up her salary to use on Ally? Or is Brooke contracted beyond this year already? By the way, I in no way want to diss Brooke. I think she has been really fantastic for us and was really crucial for us last season on and off the field. She's still a good player now and I'm not suggesting she should retire only that I would rather prioritise Ally over her.

Maybe we can lobby the AFL to be able to match the deal Ally is being offered by the Bulldogs to avoid this horrible outcome?

Last edited:
On a different note, we have pre-listed Holly Cooper and she is now a Swan. I have mixed feelings about this.

It's great to get Holly on the list and there is every reason to hope she will be a quality player. But I'm sad that compared to the other expansion clubs who have the ability to pre-list (Port, Hawks, Essendon) they are all going to get a top 5 player in the draft (or #1 and #2 in the case of Port) with their pre-listings whereas Holly is rated #32 in the RookieMe Central draft rankings. I guess we considered keeping the pre-listing spot until next year but figured we wouldn't be able to pre-list three players better than Holly and so it made sense to take Holly now.

Can anyone confirm the rules around pre-listing? Does it have to be someone from your state? Can it be anyone from your state, or just from an Academy (but does Essendon etc have an Academy?)? Presumably the player has to consent?

Once again the disadvantages of operating in a non-traditional football state are biting us but, apart from the one-off assistance package we got after finishing winless last season, we're not getting much (any?) assistance.

On a different note, we have pre-listed Holly Cooper and she is now a Swan. I have mixed feelings about this.

It's great to get Holly on the list and there is every reason to hope she will be a quality player. But I'm sad that compared to the other expansion clubs who have the ability to pre-list (Port, Hawks, Essendon) they are all going to get a top 5 player in the draft (or #1 and #2 in the case of Port) with their pre-listings whereas Holly is rated #32 in the RookieMe Central draft rankings. I guess we considered keeping the pre-listing spot until next year but figured we wouldn't be able to pre-list three players better than Holly and so it made sense to take Holly now.

Can anyone confirm the rules around pre-listing? Does it have to be someone from your state? Can it be anyone from your state, or just from an Academy (but does Essendon etc have an Academy?)? Presumably the player has to consent?

Once again the disadvantages of operating in a non-traditional football state are biting us but, apart from the one-off assistance package we got after finishing winless last season, we're not getting much (any?) assistance.
This is all I could find - the signings are restricted to zones.

Really hoping we can hang on to Ally. She will be exceedingly difficult to replace and was close to our most valuable/dangerous player in most of the matches she played this year. I'm sure we're doing all we can but I think the way AFLW salary structures work there are a finite number of players that can fill 'marquee' type positions and they have already been given out to Molloy and McEvoy.

I wonder what sort of a deal Lochland is on. She was so important to us last year and was the closest we had to a marquee player then. But now she isn't in our top 10 most important players. Can we free up her salary to use on Ally? Or is Brooke contracted beyond this year already? By the way, I in no way want to diss Brooke. I think she has been really fantastic for us and was really crucial for us last season on and off the field. She's still a good player now and I'm not suggesting she should retire only that I would rather prioritise Ally over her.

Maybe we can lobby the AFL to be able to match the deal Ally is being offered by the Bulldogs to avoid this horrible outcome?
I would've thought that if we could match the dogs offer, then surely Ally stays. Break out season with a tight knit team on the up - I just can't see why she would want to leave if our offer stacks up.

It may well mean though that we will have to let someone of substance go. But she is right up there with Molloy as our most important player based on how she started the year so she really is in the "whatever it takes" category.

I would've thought that if we could match the dogs offer, then surely Ally stays. Break out season with a tight knit team on the up - I just can't see why she would want to leave if our offer stacks up.

It may well mean though that we will have to let someone of substance go. But she is right up there with Molloy as our most important player based on how she started the year so she really is in the "whatever it takes" category.
I'm pretty sure we can't match a 5 year offer. My understanding is the 5yr contracts are only a few allowed per team. And Molloy & probs McEvoy are ours.

I'm pretty sure we can't match a 5 year offer. My understanding is the 5yr contracts are only a few allowed per team. And Molloy & probs McEvoy are ours.
I'm sure we can assure Ally of our long term intentions but can't put a contract of that length in front of her. Then it becomes a matter of trust.
Easy to say but.....
One can hope the relationship is strong. If they've been talking for two weeks I take that as a good sign.

There's no limit on contract lengths... anymore.

What's important to know is that each club has always been allowed to pay two players (colloquially known as marquees) an unlimited amount of money in ASAs. Those marquee players are exempt from the $100,000 per club ASA limit.

However, that rule ends following next season. From 2025 onwards, all ASAs will count towards the limit (which will only lift to about $130k) EXCEPT in the instance of a marquee player having already signed for beyond 2024 when the new CBA kicked in.

The only marquee players in the whole league that had already signed for beyond 2024 are Molloy and McEvoy.

Anyway, all that should equate to Sydney being able to offer Morphett a highly competitive contract. Obviously that's what her management thinks, and is therefore leaking info about offers from other clubs.

There's no limit on contract lengths... anymore.

What's important to know is that each club has always been allowed to pay two players (colloquially known as marquees) an unlimited amount of money in ASAs. Those marquee players are exempt from the $100,000 per club ASA limit.

However, that rule ends following next season. From 2025 onwards, all ASAs will count towards the limit (which will only lift to about $130k) EXCEPT in the instance of a marquee player having already signed for beyond 2024 when the new CBA kicked in.

The only marquee players in the whole league that had already signed for beyond 2024 are Molloy and McEvoy.

Anyway, all that should equate to Sydney being able to offer Morphett a highly competitive contract. Obviously that's what her management thinks, and is therefore leaking info about offers from other clubs.
Hopefully they don't get too cute.

So the whole tier system that I keep reading about...

Tier 1 players: x 2 per team
Tier 2: 6 players
Tier 3: 6 players
Tier 4: 16 players

The number of AFLW players in each tier may be adjusted by a club, provided that:
1. there is a maximum of 3 tier 1 aflw players per list and
2. the total player payments equal the cap

So if currently Molloy and Lochland are tier 1 players, or Molloy and McEvoy, we can potentially offer Morphett that extra tier 1 spot?

And we were only granted concessions in our first 2 years correct?

Nah, Cooper will be a gun. Elite testing at the combine (Ranked Elite/Top 2% for Leap and Agility) put her as the most dynamic athlete this year. I would honestly play her forward as a Medium that can play above her height right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back