List Mgmt. AFLW 2023 list + Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

According to this list, we have two of the top 10 most valuable players in the AFLW (Montana Ham #8 and Chloe Molloy #10). After that we only have another two players in the top 108 (Cynthia Hamilton #63 and Lucy McEvoy #76):

aflwmvppre2023c-jpg.1701533

I'm not sure who the author of this is and how they came up with their rankings. If anyone knows, please tell.

What do people think? It's a massive rap for Mon Ham (even though she is rated second from that draft, after Ella Roberts)!

According to this list, we have two of the top 10 most valuable players in the AFLW (Montana Ham #8 and Chloe Molloy #10). After that we only have another two players in the top 108 (Cynthia Hamilton #63 and Lucy McEvoy #76):

I'm not sure who the author of this is and how they came up with their rankings. If anyone knows, please tell.

What do people think? It's a massive rap for Mon Ham (even though she is rated second from that draft, after Ella Roberts)!
My top players would be : Montana (more for potential), Chloe and Cynthia.
We did not win a game.
I have no idea how to compare to other clubs who have been playing for a number of seasons.

I agree they have identified our best players. But how you rate Ham the 8th most valuable player in the competition is anyone's guess.

What I think this shows is that we don't have a lot of top end talent - only 4 players in the top 108 compared to an average of 6. (Still would have been only two if we hadn't managed to get in Molloy and McEvoy.) However two in the top 10 is over the odds (but not as good as Richmond who have #1 and #3). So we have some pieces to work with and we can look to keep building. We need the Academy to turn into a pipeline and likely we'll get one more high draft pick after the coming season.

Also Hurley is a player who is likely to push into that top 100 players in the hopefully near future.

I found the source of this table: BF poster TeenWolf created it and published it here 🔫🚅🗽 AFLW's Most Valuable Players, 5th Edition. TW has published the methodology in general terms but, I'm not sure if the working/breakdown of the methodology is published i.e. how an individual's PV and CC scores are arrived at. Not sure if it is entirely subjective or based on more objective criteria. I'm also not sure about the colour codings.

I agree they have identified our best players. But how you rate Ham the 8th most valuable player in the competition is anyone's guess.

What I think this shows is that we don't have a lot of top end talent - only 4 players in the top 108 compared to an average of 6. (Still would have been only two if we hadn't managed to get in Molloy and McEvoy.) However two in the top 10 is over the odds (but not as good as Richmond who have #1 and #3). So we have some pieces to work with and we can look to keep building. We need the Academy to turn into a pipeline and likely we'll get one more high draft pick after the coming season.

Also Hurley is a player who is likely to push into that top 100 players in the hopefully near future.
I thought Hurley and Chamilton were better than Ham last season. Hurley in particular looked particularly promising as a goal kicking mid / forward - not sure how she's not in the top 100.

Not sure if it is entirely subjective or based on more objective criteria.
It's entirely subjective, but done so while attempting to remain club impartial. And it could be said all the other numbers (the PV and CC) are just reverse-engineered, but there is some method involved (young players can have a CC of up to 5, but old ones have to be like 4.2 at most).

Hurley in particular looked particularly promising as a goal kicking mid / forward - not sure how she's not in the top 100.
I gave Hurley the rare "UD" rating (short for UnDecided or Under Deliberation), which means she belongs on the list but I would like to see another season of her before making a specific call.

It's entirely subjective, but done so while attempting to remain club impartial. And it could be said all the other numbers (the PV and CC) are just reverse-engineered, but there is some method involved (young players can have a CC of up to 5, but old ones have to be like 4.2 at most).

I gave Hurley the rare "UD" rating (short for UnDecided or Under Deliberation), which means she belongs on the list but I would like to see another season of her before making a specific call.
May I ask what was your colour coding?

May I ask what was your colour coding?
It's just to do with each player's PV (Prime Value): 970 to 999 is gold, 950 to 969 is silver, 900 to 949 is bronze, 850 to 899 is black. Erin Phillips has the highest at 995 which means I'm saying, all else being equal (age, injuries, consistency, etc.), she's the best player.

It's just to do with each player's PV (Prime Value): 970 to 999 is gold, 950 to 969 is silver, 900 to 949 is bronze, 850 to 899 is black. Erin Phillips has the highest at 995 which means I'm saying, all else being equal (age, injuries, consistency, etc.), she's the best player.
Agree with Erin :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back