Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

As a fan i could deal with the Melbourne situation with a flag IF the flag was won at the MCG in non covid times.

It feels like losing your v-card by sticking just the tip in. It’s in the books but you didn’t get the full experience

As a fan i could deal with the Melbourne situation with a flag IF the flag was won at the MCG in non covid times.

It feels like losing your v-card by sticking just the tip in. It’s in the books but you didn’t get the full experience

They were the best side in the comp for the whole year and had to play away from their home ground. I reckon they 100% deserved it. Probably more than the Dogs who seemed to get luck carry them to a flag. To me the Dees ****ed up what should have been a generational side that won multiple flags. Looks like it will be hard to recover from now.

Not sure if I heard correctly, caught the end of the news, but I think Oliver will also be taking more time away from the club right now.

Pre-season from hell for the Dees.

edit: just read a couple of pages on the Dees board. The situation is a complete mess.
Also, Smith, wasn’t he the one who they said would be able to just serve his 3 month suspension in the off-season? That always seemed pretty strange.

Last edited:
Not sure if I heard correctly, caught the end of the news, but I think Oliver will also be taking more time away from the club right now.

edit: just read a couple of pages on the Dees board. The situation is a complete mess.
Also, Smith, wasn’t he the one who they said would be able to just serve his 3 month suspension in the off-season? That always seemed pretty strange.

Illicit is different to performance in AFL parlance, also kinda helps that the illicit docs that get signed are akin to wet lettuce leaves that months as an expectation is considered normal club enforced punishment in line with "a strong stance". The WADA link in this case is what stuck the proverbial boot in as they do not mince words, they state something and you say yes sir, ASADA says something and you argue by comparison as the former can and will state "then your entire competition is moot" and enforce it globally.

Smith is cooked , positive on Game day = 2 years at least

It'll be an interesting case. If he can prove he took it 2 nights before the game or something you'd hope he gets less.

Praytell how does he prove something like that? He's not going to be like Snake and get it videoed so does he bring the table in, point out that "see this mark, that's where the line was and as we know, the sniffo has a shelf life of X and with this decomposition in chemical composition it's clear that at least 72 hours has passed before I sniffed. I demand 4 weeks instead of 2 years!" and brings a chippy in to state how the wood reacts to the sniffo as expert witness as "jarrah is best to sniff on".

You cop the whack that gets given and you hide as best as you can since "a week is a long time in footy" is true enough, and people have done much worse in the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Praytell how does he prove something like that? He's not going to be like Snake and get it videoed so does he bring the table in, point out that "see this mark, that's where the line was and as we know, the sniffo has a shelf life of X and with this decomposition in chemical composition it's clear that at least 72 hours has passed before I sniffed. I demand 4 weeks instead of 2 years!" and brings a chippy in to state how the wood reacts to the sniffo as expert witness as "jarrah is best to sniff on".

You cop the whack that gets given and you hide as best as you can since "a week is a long time in footy" is true enough, and people have done much worse in the game.

Fingers crossed he keeps the messages from his dealers and he can use google maps location history to pin point the location of the trade.

As for whether he used at the time or before the game....well agreed he's gonna need some pretty impressive science.

Surely the piss test gives a quantifiable result though? I guess that is probably determined more by how much he did rather than when he did it...

Smith is cooked , positive on Game day = 2 years at least
It'll be an interesting case. If he can prove he took it 2 nights before the game or something you'd hope he gets less.
Yep - cocaine falls into a WADA classification called Substances of Abuse and the rules allow for a lot more flexibility given that cocaine has limited performance enhancing capabilities and its widespread consumption in the general community.

You'd think at a minimum its the first 12 games of this season or at worst the whole of the 2024 season.

From WADA code

Substances of Abuse

‘Substances of Abuse’ is a new category of Prohibited Substances set out in the Prohibited List because they are known to be frequently abused outside of sport.

Substances in this category are Cocaine, Heroin, MDMA and Cannabis. These substances are banned from being used in an In-Competition environment only.

The new category allows Anti-Doping Organisations to apply flexibility in sanctioning for athletes who test positive to a Substance of Abuse.

Not sure why some are concerned or care about Smith , everyone is free to take or do whatever they want but there are consequences if you get caught , Ahmed Saad had a sports drink and got 18 months so no way Smith gets any less than 2 years

Not sure why some are concerned or care about Smith , everyone is free to take or do whatever they want but there are consequences if you get caught , Ahmed Saad had a sports drink and got 18 months so no way Smith gets any less than 2 years
Discussing the Smith seems to fit very nicely in a thread headed "General AFL Discussion".

No one is saying Smith shouldn't be suspended.

The main concern with Smith was the possibility that if he given the automatic minimum sentence (3 months) he would have been able to play in Round 1.

By rejecting that course, the Sport Integrity Australia have now put the responsibility on Smith to appeal the decision and the prove that it was taken out of competition and it didn't affect his performance. If he can argue mitigating circumstances then his sentence could be reduced.

Which is the very same process that enabled Saad to have his suspension downgraded to 18 months even though the drug he (inadvertently) ingested was on WADA list of banned performance enhancing drugs.

Last edited:
Discussing the Smith seems to fit very nicely in a thread headed "General AFL Discussion".

No one is saying Smith shouldn't be suspended.

The main concern with Smith was the possibility that if he given the automatic minimum sentence (3 months) he would have been able to play in Round 1.

By rejecting that course, the Sport Integrity Australia have now put the responsibility on Smith to appeal the decision and the prove that it was taken out of competition and it didn't affect his performance. If he can argue mitigating circumstances then his sentence could be reduced.

Whish is the very same process that enabled Saad to have his suspension downgraded to 18 months even though the drug he (inadvertently) ingested was on WADA list of banned performance enhancing drugs.
Did you really need to write that ?
Anyway i don't see how it matters when he took it , if its in your system its in your system .
Its like someone saying they haven't had a drink in 12 hours but your still over the limit , anyway i guess we just wait and see what happens

Yep - cocaine falls into a WADA classification called Substances of Abuse and the rules allow for a lot more flexibility given that cocaine has limited performance enhancing capabilities and its widespread consumption in the general community.

You'd think at a minimum its the first 12 games of this season or at worst the whole of the 2024 season.

From WADA code

Substances of Abuse

‘Substances of Abuse’ is a new category of Prohibited Substances set out in the Prohibited List because they are known to be frequently abused outside of sport.

Substances in this category are Cocaine, Heroin, MDMA and Cannabis. These substances are banned from being used in an In-Competition environment only.

The new category allows Anti-Doping Organisations to apply flexibility in sanctioning for athletes who test positive to a Substance of Abuse.

Game day makes it a bit different. Goober lost his career doing it in the QAFL.

Didn’t bring it up because it’s such a workload being outraged at all this.

Dillon has achieved a rare feat, he has failed before even beginning.
At least things are now much simpler. Take Sean Darcy for instance - instead of saying he's 110 KG, we can now just all call him a fat campaigner :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back