List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Unpopular opinion. Ive always thought Taranto was overrated. Used to frustrate me no end. Even the year he won the Bnf.
I also think Ward is close to the most underrated player in the comp.
He is so clean, his running is massively underrated and he has always been clutch.
Even on equal money Id pick Ward.
His running is two way running is bad and a problem with the way we defend

His running is two way running is bad and a problem with the way we defend
I would like someone to highlight and identify this in any footage, anywhere to show as an issue.
He has always ran well, and continues to.

Actually insane to take Ward over Taranto! Ward got subbed out of the prelim last year because he wasn't good enough!! It's probably going to look worse this year for him, Taranto is one of the best two way midfielders in the whole sport and although he doesn't have burst speed he's a great runner (not like Ward is fast). It's so easy to get hung up on Taranto's kicking when he does so many other things well, if we want to talk about system fits he won BNF in THE Dimma system last year. An elite clearance and inside mid while being one of the best pressure players in the comp he'd be perfect.
Balance in the midfield is the answer.

tUnpopular opinion. Ive always thought Taranto was overrated. Used to frustrate me no end. Even the year he won the Bnf.
I also think Ward is close to the most underrated player in the comp.
He is so clean, his running is massively underrated and he has always been clutch.
Even on equal money Id pick Ward.
Everything but the last line I agree with.

Disposal efficiency is so key in today's game. Taranto doesn't have it.

With an eye to the future, on the same wage I'd take Taranto - but his removal is a large part of why we got better, as it opened up more midfield minutes for better ball users in Kelly, Coniglio and Green.

With an eye to the future, on the same wage I'd take Taranto - but his removal is a large part of why we got better, as it opened up more midfield minutes for better ball users in Kelly, Coniglio and Green.
Just clarifying I meant for 1 year only.
Taranto will obviously play much longer.

I'd play TT ahead of Cal as he does offer a bit more in many ways, but I reckon Kingers might not like TT's inefficiency and play Cal

Actually insane to take Ward over Taranto! Ward got subbed out of the prelim last year because he wasn't good enough!! It's probably going to look worse this year for him, Taranto is one of the best two way midfielders in the whole sport and although he doesn't have burst speed he's a great runner (not like Ward is fast). It's so easy to get hung up on Taranto's kicking when he does so many other things well, if we want to talk about system fits he won BNF in THE Dimma system last year. An elite clearance and inside mid while being one of the best pressure players in the comp he'd be perfect.
He won bnf for in a team playing Green’s role. There isn’t room for 2 of them with the game plan we now play.

Taranto is a very good player but he isn’t a good fit for the giants now and would have made us worse against the pies if he was swapped for Ward.

What we need against a team like Pies is putting Daniels through the midfield at centre bounce and stoppages.
I suspect that he will pinch hit through there this year. We'll be better for it too.

I think Jones will as well.

I suspect that he will pinch hit through there this year. We'll be better for it too.

I think Jones will as well.
Looks like XO could be another. He got a couple of looks against the swans but that might have just been picking up the slack from Callaghan.

Looks like XO could be another. He got a couple of looks against the swans but that might have just been picking up the slack from Callaghan.
Xo looked terrific tonight

That's maybe the best XO has ever looked? Had a few really nice games as a forward last year but man he looked really comfortable playing more in the midfield last night. A bit worrying his maybe best game has come in preseason so we'll still have to see if this is something that can carry over but if he's able to be a piece that can fill out the back end of the midfield rotation that'd be big.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's maybe the best XO has ever looked? Had a few really nice games as a forward last year but man he looked really comfortable playing more in the midfield last night. A bit worrying his maybe best game has come in preseason so we'll still have to see if this is something that can carry over but if he's able to be a piece that can fill out the back end of the midfield rotation that'd be big.
to be fair, he was looking really good last year until the broken thumb ... just picking up from where he left off (fingers crossed)

He was playing really well last year.
He has just turned 23, the age that most players start to come good and hit their straps. I think it is really positive signs.

to be fair, he was looking really good last year until the broken thumb ... just picking up from where he left off (fingers crossed)
Yeah definitely but that was more of a forward we haven't really seen this midfield part of his game before. Excited for him, hope this is the year it clicks for him and he can be a consistent part of the team.

Harvey Thomas 25

The Giants academy member was taken at pick 59 in last year’s national draft and showed skill as a left-footed rebounding defender for the Allie. He then went forward and kicked goals for Oakleigh Chargers late in the year to showcase his versatility.

Clearly haven’t seen him play. Was impressive against both Sydney & the Suns - worth more than a paltry 25 and the second worst rating at the club.

Also - Angwin on 41 has been seriously over rated - I’d be swapping the numbers on these two at the very least.

We should offer Ugle-Hagan a 10 year deal at a premium.

Not that I don’t believe in Cadman, but just to stuff up their salary cap.

10 years at 1 mil up to 1.3 should set a nice benchmark for them to have to match. He would never sign with us so it’s moot but would be some nice payback for Toyd.

I would be surprised if Sydney are not conjuring something like this as the replacement for Buddy.

Last edited:
Would do just about anything to get JUH, huge contract and premium picks would be fine. Super talent would be incredible to pair him with Cadman and it's also great Cadman insurance if that doesn't work out.

Giant contract offers on the way​

Sam Taylor, an All-Australian key defender, is one of the AFL’s most attractive “pre-agents” this year and certain to command massive offers, well in excess of $1 million a season over a long term from the Perth clubs and elsewhere if he is willing to test the market.

A senior GWS club source confirmed that the Giants and Taylor’s manager, Trevor Clisby, held preliminary contract discussions a few weeks ago, with the Giants aware of what Taylor would be offered – in Melbourne and WA – given the premium on key defenders, as evident in the hefty six-year contract that Essendon handed Ben McKay, whom Taylor is far ahead of on performance. GWS know that Taylor is worth more than $1 million a year, on a long-term deal of several seasons.

Taylor did not say outright he would sign a contract with the Giants, but gave a strong indication that he was happy with GWS and wanted to play for a successful team, which he said the Giants were well-placed to be. “I still feel like it’s ages away, [we will] wait and see, and I love it here at this club,” Taylor, 24, said when asked about his free agency next year. The Giants are a great group, I feel like we have a really bright future – there are so many special players here, and I feel like we can push for the next four or five years. I just want to play for a club that goes out there and wins games. I love winning, and [the] Giants are in a spot where we can do that and there’s no better feeling than playing finals and winning games. That’s what I want to do – I want to be at a successful club and probably none better than the Giants at the moment. It’ll be a bit interesting [contract speculation] because I’ve usually signed a year or two in advance, so I don’t mind what people say ... it’s my decision.”

Taylor said his agent Clisby would “sort that out with [GWS football boss] Jason [McCartney]. We’ll see how that goes.” He added: “Not really [in a rush]. I’m more focused on playing footy – when it comes, it comes. I’m definitely not [going to] rush into it, but this club’s pretty good.”

GIANTS GOALKICKER SET FOR DEAL

GREATER Western Sydney is in talks to extend Jesse Hogan's contract at the club, with the key forward closing on a fresh two-year deal following a standout performance over the weekend.

Hogan is due to come out of contract later this year, but the club is now progressing over a new deal that is set to take the veteran goalkicker through until 2026.

It's just reward for a strong summer that resulted in Hogan kicking four goals in last Saturday night's Opening Round victory over Collingwood, the perfect way for the 29-year-old to follow a career-best campaign last season.

Hogan's impending deal is set to kickstart a busy period for the Giants, who are now expected to turn their attentions towards tying down free agent duo Isaac Cumming and Harry Perryman. – Riley Beveridge

GIANTS GOALKICKER SET FOR DEAL

GREATER Western Sydney is in talks to extend Jesse Hogan's contract at the club, with the key forward closing on a fresh two-year deal following a standout performance over the weekend.

Hogan is due to come out of contract later this year, but the club is now progressing over a new deal that is set to take the veteran goalkicker through until 2026.

It's just reward for a strong summer that resulted in Hogan kicking four goals in last Saturday night's Opening Round victory over Collingwood, the perfect way for the 29-year-old to follow a career-best campaign last season.

Hogan's impending deal is set to kickstart a busy period for the Giants, who are now expected to turn their attentions towards tying down free agent duo Isaac Cumming and Harry Perryman. – Riley Beveridge
Well deserved …. The big fella had done all we could have asked and more. Looks in great knick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back