List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

If Stengle leaves, you'd think he's chasing a big contract, given they're in contention and were the team to allow him to resurrect his career.

Yeah, with their older players transitioning into retirement over the next couple of years, they'll have plenty of coin and its not as if they fall out of the 8

Won a flag, he'll will want a bigger pay day now

Only way you'll get a decent player at low cost, will be a UFA from a lower side that has been on reasonable money, but now wants to chase finals/flags

Think Brian Lake

Jeremy McGovern

Do we have any confidence that his body holds up?

If the Saints don't get close to finals, I'd have a crack at UFA Battle, especially if we can convince him to come over on modest coin

More durable than Gov and Marchbank and can play on different types

Cam Zurhaar is not an upgrade on Elijah Hollands.

Why would we pay 700k a year for a guy who takes a few hero pings at goal a game and lays a hip and shoulder?

He's flashy. But he blazes away regularly and it strikes me more as a personality thing then a coaching instruction

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do we have any confidence that his body holds up?

If the Saints don't get close to finals, I'd have a crack at UFA Battle, especially if we can convince him to come over on modest coin

More durable than Gov and Marchbank and can play on different types
It won't happen, but Battle in, Marchbank and S.Durdin out...

Why would we pay 700k a year for a guy who takes a few hero pings at goal a game and lays a hip and shoulder?

He's flashy. But he blazes away regularly and it strikes me more as a personality thing then a coaching instruction

Please... I don't even like Zurhaar but he's shown more than any of our forwards have over their careers in one of the worst, possibly THE worst team of all time... Regardless of whether he's a flog or not he's an upgrade on some of our options in the fwd line, he's streets ahead of players like Orazio and Durdin.

Elijah, I think is irrelevant to the discussion. He's not really a forward option, he's more of a link up player. He'll build towards becoming a full time mid as he develops so I don't really see Zurhaar affecting his position/role in the team, Zurhaar is more of a genuine fwd target.

It won't happen, and it's just a hypothetical, but imagine the likes of Battle in with S.Durdin and Marchbank out, and Zurhaar in with likes of Cuningham and Martin out.
Would love something like that to happen, especially if you replaced Zurhaar with Stengle or Hayward, but I just can't see us having the cap space for it unless SOS came knocking for a Kemp or Young type too.

Boyd Weitering Mcgovern
Saad Battle Newman
Acres Cripps O.Hollands
Fogarty Mckay Martin
Stengle Curnow Motlop
Dekoning Cerra Walsh

Would be a great starting 18.

Think we should throw SOSs grenade (pushing Weiterings price up) right back at him…

We need a KPD, to partner with Weitering.. Offer Battle a mid $$$ contract and a chance to play with a team in their premiership window…

He’s an UFA so Saints can’t match and would get bugger all compensation…
Battle is bog ordinary.

And 193cm - miles off a KPD.

We should be looking for a Harris Andrew type...circa 200cm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Battle is bog ordinary.

You are right in that he is more a 3rd defender than the KPD that many on here make him out to be.

Bog ordinary is a bit harsh. He's a fair way removed from being a superstar but he's genuine. Would be a minor upgrade on ability but does seem to be fairly durable.

Battle is bog ordinary.

Battle is a pretty good player but will get better offers elsewhere. He’d need to take unders to come to Carlton. Would rather persist with Kemp who is a similar type.

I actually wouldn’t mind having a shot at Dougal Howard if we go for someone from StKilda. Has been through some poor form recently but is a pretty good stopper with a super boot when he’s on. Better than Young at the very least. 28yo.

A Harris Andrews would be lovely but I don’t think we need to splurge to find a good FB. It would’ve been Durdin if he could stay fit. There are plenty of cheap guys who could fit into a system and play a role alongside a gun like Weitering, we just have to take a punt.

A poster on the D&T board mentioned they are “reasonably certain” (whatever that means) that Caleb Daniel will be a Carlton player next season. What do we think?

I wouldn't compare them as players at all and I don't think they're in the same role or the same type of player. I think Zurhaar is more of an explosive 3rd tall, ala Stringer. Hollands seems to me to be more of a creative half forward.

Personally, I think Zurhaars development has been woeful. If he played for a better club than Norf his whole career he'd be a far better player. He's still rough around the edges in the same ways he was in his first 2 yrs.

Last edited:
Battle is a pretty good player but will get better offers elsewhere. He’d need to take unders to come to Carlton. Would rather persist with Kemp who is a similar type.

I actually wouldn’t mind having a shot at Dougal Howard if we go for someone from StKilda. Has been through some poor form recently but is a pretty good stopper with a super boot when he’s on. Better than Young at the very least. 28yo.

A Harris Andrews would be lovely but I don’t think we need to splurge to find a good FB. It would’ve been Durdin if he could stay fit. There are plenty of cheap guys who could fit into a system and play a role alongside a gun like Weitering, we just have to take a punt.
I think that we have to set the bar slightly higher than "better than Young".

And I'm not even sure that Howard fits that criteria. A big no for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back