Resource 2024 Membership - 55,704 as at April 5th

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely, because its clever marketing. No way would GC or GWS have got 75,000 sign up as foundation members for $10.

Its a good indicator to AFL and Tassie government that tens of thousands of people reckon Tassie deserve their team in the AFL given their real footy legacy and not just to worry about eyeballs.
I'm sure the AFL and the (current) Tasmanian government had major input into the strategy. 100k Members, just before an election where there's the risk of no new stadium and no team. This is, IMO, as much about politics as the team itself at this point.

I understand the demographics and as I posted I am not opposed to a team from Tasmania. I am just disappointed at the lack of a club ethos in what they have done. I actually think being the only club from an island State is a real advantage and the 100k membership should not be a surprise. I can also understand the thinking behind what the Tasmanians have done I just don't think they should have been allowed to do it and I do not think the Devils should be telling the AFL what they may or may not do sometime in the future I think the AFL should be telling them what they cannot do now just as they do with us.

The disappointing thing is there is not one once of originality or any unique ambience in anything they have done.

The colours - green gold and red are the Tasmanian State colours.
The Guernsy- The Tasmanian map with the red T on a green background has been worn by Tassie State teams for 100 years.
The devils- this nickname was used by the Hobart Devils in the NBL in the 1980s and 1990s.
The Devil logo- the AFL and the Tasmanians had to get permission from the Disney organisation to adapt the Devil logo to suit.

Good luck to the Tassie Devils anyway, I look forward to watching Port beat a State team.

REH's point is exactly that Tassie with its low/ageing population base and small economy somehow also manages to be both highly parochial and internally divided. A "club" tied to one of the 3 "geopolitical" divides would be... suboptimal. Among many other things it would needlessly hamper siphoning off current Tasmanian Hawks and Norf "followers" most of whom are not truly rusted on in the family or generational sense that happens with long lived clubs.

I'd be more concerned by (and fully expect to be "disappointed" by) the myriad of ways Norf especially and the other Vic clubs might get "protected" by upcoming draft+trade changes wrapped around the Tasmanian entry.

I'd be more concerned by (and fully expect to be "disappointed" by) the myriad of ways Norf especially and the other Vic clubs might get "protected" by upcoming draft+trade changes wrapped around the Tasmanian entry.

I am not too sure how that would work. I suspect that the AFL will be too engrossed in managing the Tasmanian concessions to worry about existing clubs. The AFL have already committed $360 million to help establish the Tasmanian team but when Port joined the AFL we had to pay the bastards for a licence, a fact that does not sit well with me.

Maybe this is not the thread to be discussing a Tasmanian team in the AFL? Not sure if we have a dedicated thread for the Tasmanian Devils. Moderators please feel free to move my posts to a more appropriate thread.

I've been keeping the membership figures from each year's thread since the 2011 membership thread.

Here are the basic stats since we moved to AO for the 2014 season. The end of month figure is the last one the club published prior to the end of the month, rarely does it update the total on the last day of the month.

Whilst there might be a Tredders effect of 3,000 additional members in 2024 v 2023 it is no better than prior years, especially pre Covid.

Prior to covid the AFL used to cut things off in the first week of August, now its the first week of September to account for AFLW memberships, as their season now starts in August since 2022.

Our growth in 2023 was AFLW with 9,000 memberships sold between end of July and 5th September. Only a few hundred would be for the men's memberships.

Traditionally we sell a few hundred memberships in July and August when we make finals, as people buy cheapie memberships to get access to finals tickets, as apart from the Grand Final, the bloody AFL only have 1 window for access members in the first 3 weeks of finals, with as little as a 3 game access getting the same window opportunity as the most expensive 11 game memberships and coterie groups members.
1711615319738.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Membership Update 5th of April 2024

1712284902578.png

Increase of 549 members in 8 days (28/03/24)

Up by 3598 members from this time last year (16/03/23 - 52,106)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back