Resource 2024 Membership - 55,704 as at April 5th

Remove this Banner Ad

IMG_9924.JPG this came up on my Facebook feed, those were some dark days down at the swamp. Our membership has improved, so maybe my spelling too .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If ken was sacked last year we'd honestly easily be at 60,000 members already.
It’s pretty low tbh, Port better have a promising first 6 rounds or that tally ain’t going much higher, or it won’t matter because so many people have switched on to Ken’s act

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Membership Update 19th of March 2024

1710812986255.png

Increase of 767 members in 7 days (12/03/24)

Up by 2280 members from this time last year (16/03/23 - 52,106)

No game day members though. $10 foundation members which I have signed up for to support Tassie's entry into the AFL. Any serious membership numbers will be significantly lower.
Absolutely, because its clever marketing. No way would GC or GWS have got 75,000 sign up as foundation members for $10.

Its a good indicator to AFL and Tassie government that tens of thousands of people reckon Tassie deserve their team in the AFL given their real footy legacy and not just to worry about eyeballs.

Absolutely, because its clever marketing. No way would GC or GWS have got 75,000 sign up as foundation members for $10.

Its a good indicator to AFL and Tassie government that tens of thousands of people reckon Tassie deserve their team in the AFL given their real footy legacy and not just to worry about eyeballs.

Exactly, I'd call it a vote of confidence by the footy community for Tassie's AFL bid.

Clever but disappointing.

The Devils are a State team in a club competition as is evident in the Tasmanian State guernsey that they have been allowed to wear. I thought the AFL said a big fat NO to clubs wearing a state guernsey in what is a club competition. I seem to recall Nigel Smart proposing that the Crows wear the SA State guernsey in a heritage round some years ago. That bid was shot down by the SANFL and the AFL.

As the Devils are the only AFL club among 530,000 people in an Australian Rules footy mad state I am not surprised that they have 100,000 Ten Dollar Members. Good luck to them I just wish they had shown a bit more flair in determining the new team's colours and nickname. in the NBL the Tassie Jackjumpers have shown what can be done as they resisted the temptation to revert to the old Hobart Devils nickname of the 1990s and they have reaped the rewards. Resurrecting the Hobart Devils nickname along with adopting the Tasmanian State colours and the Tasmanian State jumper lacks imagination but good luck to them anyway. I have nothing against a Tasmanian entry into the AFL I just wish it was badged more like a club than a State side. As I posted elsewhere every time we play them it will feel like we are playing a State team.

Defending the use of the 100 year old Tasmanian State guernsey Nick Riewoldt had this to say,

Riewoldt added it was standard for AFL clubs to wear a traditional uniform.

Does this mean Nick will now be supporting Port's right to wear our traditional PB outfit? ;)

Last edited:
Clever but disappointing.

The Devils are a State team in a club competition as is evident in the Tasmanian State guernsey that they have been allowed to wear. I thought the AFL said a big fat NO to clubs wearing a state guernsey in what is a club competition. I seem to recall Nigel Smart proposing that the Crows wear the SA State guernsey in a heritage round some years ago. That bid was shot down by the SANFL and the AFL.

As the Devils are the only AFL club among 530,000 people in an Australian Rules footy mad state I am not surprised that they have 100,000 Ten Dollar Members. Good luck to them I just wish they had shown a bit more flair in determining the new team's colours and nickname. in the NBL the Tassie Jackjumpers have shown what can be done as they resisted the temptation to revert to the old Hobart Devils nickname of the 1990s and they have reaped the rewards. Resurrecting the Hobart Devils nickname along with adopting the Tasmanian State colours and the Tasmanian State jumper lacks imagination but good luck to them anyway. I have nothing against a Tasmanian entry into the AFL I just wish it was badged more like a club than a State side. As I posted elsewhere every time we play them it will feel like we are playing a State team.

Defending the use of the 100 year old Tasmanian State guernsey Nick Riewoldt had this to say,

Riewoldt added it was standard for AFL clubs to wear a traditional uniform.

Does this mean Nick will now be supporting Port's right to wear our traditional PB outfit?

Tassie's different. They have had a long term North / South footy divide and a North West / North East footy sub division that has held footy back in the state. So if you are trying to unify the whole state behind this venture then using the state footy icons makes a lot of sense as the starting point. There hasn't been any complaints from Tasmanians.

They aren't going to get another team in the next 50+ years, with hundreds of thousands and millions of people moving there driving the push for a second team,unless global warming makes the main land burn and Tassie stays cool.

And as a few of their ambassadors have been saying, its their foundation jumper and icons, so it doesn't mean they wont change / be added to once the team has started playing in the AFL.

Last edited:
Tassie's different. They have had a long term North / South footy divide and a North West / North East footy sub division that has held footy back in the state. So if you are trying to unify the whole state behind this venture then using the state footy icons makes a lot of sense as the starting point. There hasn't been any complaints from Tasmanians.

They aren't going to get another team in the next 50+ years, with hundreds of thousands and millions of people moving there driving the push for a second team,unless global warming makes the main land burn and Tassie stays cool.

And as a few of their ambassadors have been saying, its their foundation jumper and icons, so it doesn't mean they wont change / be added to once the team has started playing in the AFL.

I understand the demographics and as I posted I am not opposed to a team from Tasmania. I am just disappointed at the lack of a club ethos in what they have done. I actually think being the only club from an island State is a real advantage and the 100k membership should not be a surprise. I can also understand the thinking behind what the Tasmanians have done I just don't think they should have been allowed to do it and I do not think the Devils should be telling the AFL what they may or may not do sometime in the future I think the AFL should be telling them what they cannot do now just as they do with us.

The disappointing thing is there is not one once of originality or any unique ambience in anything they have done.

The colours - green gold and red are the Tasmanian State colours.
The Guernsy- The Tasmanian map with the red T on a green background has been worn by Tassie State teams for 100 years.
The devils- this nickname was used by the Hobart Devils in the NBL in the 1980s and 1990s.
The Devil logo- the AFL and the Tasmanians had to get permission from the Disney organisation to adapt the Devil logo to suit.

Good luck to the Tassie Devils anyway, I look forward to watching Port beat a State team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back