Autopsy 2024 Rd 9 Blues hold on in 1 point thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 9 vs the Demons?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright, that's enough.

The next poster who thinks they should have a crack at an individual or a collective reaction to this game is going to find themselves threadbanned. Terms like 'bleaters' or 'shit posters' will see things escalated further.

Let's discuss our views on the match without getting the knives out, please.

Was delicious reading all the salty comments on Twitter after the game. "Carlton are no good". "Carlton were lucky to win". "Umps got the Blues over the line"...mostly from Pies and Tigers supporters. So predictable.

It is getting somewhat tiring the narrative around our close wins though...so Collingwood went about a year and a half winning a bunch of close games and they're the best thing since sliced bread. We show we can win the close ones and we're "lucky" and "the Blues have issues".

So much nonsense.
I found it very funny seeing Melbourne fans saying things like “Carlton deserved to win” and “it would have been robbery if we’d won”, when Collingwood fans were just about bawling at the fact that we won

Beaten Lions/GWS/Dees….yep we’re going backwards this year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We have had and have a very tough draw, with these matches coming when we have a few outs, i overlook this sometimes, we are going ok for a team that’s not playing great

Backline and forward line looked so much better with Martin and Gov - get Fogarty and Saad back to their respective positions and the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

The Dees run on was a worry, but with the 666 rule it’s so bloody hard to put a halt to those opposition run-ons without the ability to start a spare behind the ball - as the Dees can attest to with our 1st quarter.

Loved the coaching to limit Lever’s influence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walsh does call for the ball when he's about to be tackled. I think sometimes he'd be better off laying a shepherd and let his teammate have a clear run.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
In a wet game like last night, in close, against Melbourne mids, there’s not many getting the ball in space. Walsh has shown his skill at running to the outside and distributing forward 100 times.

I think we’re being a little precious when we start calling two of our most selfless players arrogant because we’re unhappy the oppo’s worked there way back into the game.

If Walsh played off half back I’m sure he’d have all the free ball you like - alas he’s most important to us in the furnace.

I really like Ollie Holands as a player...but he really needs to work on his situational awareness. The number of times he gets run down from behind is becoming a bit of an issue. Shouldn't be too difficult to fix...but he needs to do it. Needs to put on a bit of muscle too.

Spot on.

Although I think at times we don't communicate well on field. Hollands was caught a few times last night from behind part of that is his awareness. Part of it is also his teammates not communicating what he can't see I would suggest.

I really like Ollie Holands as a player...but he really needs to work on his situational awareness. The number of times he gets run down from behind is becoming a bit of an issue. Shouldn't be too difficult to fix...but he needs to do it. Needs to put on a bit of muscle too.
Yep just needs to adjust his decision making and take 1-2 less steps before disposing of the ball.

Although he isn’t slow, I’d say a lot of AFL players come into the League thinking they’re “quick” after usually dominating the junior leagues with generally superior athleticism to their opponents - at AFL level (almost) everyone is genuinely fast...

Still can't really believe what I was seeing in the last quarter. I'll have to watch the replay today with an analytical lens, but from up on Level 4 it just looked like we completely shut down all run and carry options in the last. Melbourne just went man-to-man all over the park and let us kick to an aerial contest every time and we played into their hands. Not a single switch of play despite Melbourne giving us that option. Saad's ability to create is sorely missed.

We looked seriously gassed and out of ideas/bewildered. The guys had the same look in the rooms at half-time last week after being shell-shocked in the second against the Pies.

For all the things we did right in the first 3 quarters, that last quarter was truly awful. I can only hope the 8 day break is used to freshen the blokes up a bit before an important block of games before the bye.

Voss coached brilliantly early. Our boys were calm, taking marks and spotting up the runners in space without any panic. We lost the hitouts but won the clearances and our defensive setup was fantastic.

We only lapsed when we started to run out of legs. We won the game so I don't see how Voss was outcoached badly tactically.

All people are saying is that we went defensive too early, but I think that's a reflection of how tired we were. Was always going to happen on a wet track with returning players.
Spot on.

I think some posters are only unhappy with this loss because we were 35 points up and couldn't protect the lead. Natural feeling of 'we should have won by more'. But Melbourne, being the professional team just kept coming and coming and we were good enough to hold on by 1mm. The Carlton of old wouldn't have been 35 points up against the Dees at any stage. The Carlton of old would fold much easier under pressure.

Voss and the coaching team will walk away happy with 4 points, but there will be honest reviews on players and strategies nonetheless.

Would these posters feel the same way if it was a see saw game where it was tight the whole game and we finished on top?

“We won’t win this by much”

What a clever belief to instil in a team before a game. Brilliant stuff vossy.
I did actually notice this too. Maybe he was trying to be pragmatic. Would prefer the message was to go out there and keep attacking and keep the foot on their throat. (maybe that message was in there as well, who knows)

Adelaide decent lead.. cue Benny Hill stuff ups with poor decisions. Pies lead and Benny pops up again. Dees you could start to hear the Benny Hill theme music with Viney, Wayne Harmsing it, not looking where we were passing to, trying too hard to let Petracca win it for them...

Not at all... That would be the Some Mother's Do 'Ave 'Em theme.

Back