Autopsy 2024 Round 1 Blues hold on in yet another heartstopper

Who played well for the Blues in Round 1 vs the Tigers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Kemp is heart and mouth when he gets the ball.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Mistakes in back half can cost you a game….

Whereas a missed goal or a miskick in forward half is more forgiving as your team has some opportunity to defend and win the ball back…

I hope we give him some opportunities to play him up front …reckon he’d be an excitement machine in that role

Imagine H Charlie and kemp in f50 ☺️

fair post - genuine question - how the * do you deal with the saturation umpire blaming on your board? over and over, the same abusive posters, every week, every year - what's the deal?

I frequent a Richmond only forum and generally only visit here occasionally but actually prefer interacting with oppo supporters who appreciate the game for what it is.

Can be difficult discussing with one eyed fans from any club so you often get a better balanced opinion from neutrals or oppos IMO.

I can also appreciate oppo players who perform well too.

Don't get me wrong, I hate Carlton, Geelong, Brisbane, Collingwood, Port, Adelaide, Sydney, Saints, Dons etc but what benefit is it shoving that in their supporters faces or bagging umpires all day? Umps have a tough job. Do I think Richmond gets a raw deal? Yeah I do, if you look at the free kick differential over the last 5-8 years it's hard to keep arguing 'its the way they play' but honestly we have 3 recent flags and even unfair umpiring isn't going to win you or lose you a premiership so whatever.

Tiges are on the slide and it's only to be expected. Very few teams have stayed up and kept winning flags.

I frequent a Richmond only forum and generally only visit here occasionally but actually prefer interacting with oppo supporters who appreciate the game for what it is.

Can be difficult discussing with one eyed fans from any club so you often get a better balanced opinion from neutrals or oppos IMO.

I can also appreciate oppo players who perform well too.

Don't get me wrong, I hate Carlton, Geelong, Brisbane, Collingwood, Port, Adelaide, Sydney, Saints, Dons etc but what benefit is it shoving that in their supporters faces or bagging umpires all day? Umps have a tough job. Do I think Richmond gets a raw deal? Yeah I do, if you look at the free kick differential over the last 5-8 years it's hard to keep arguing 'its the way they play' but honestly we have 3 recent flags and even unfair umpiring isn't going to win you or lose you a premiership so whatever.

Tiges are on the slide and it's only to be expected. Very few teams have stayed up and kept winning flags.
ok, thanks for that - can you tell me your thoughts as to why umpires as a group might choose to deliberately "cheat" when officiating richmond games?

When I was coaching juniors we had at least 10 minutes every night of non-preferred drills.

It was quite hilarious but it did help a few that practiced in their own time as well.

Teaching them to bounce with the opposite was a big key to it

It was very rewarding to see the kids use their opposite side in a game when they needed to.

Tell the righties to watch Errol Gulden, that’s how a ball is kicked.

Dominator back in the day was the catalyst for practising the left.

Does Carrol have a right foot kick? I love his work but am waiting for him to get worked out, and start turning the ball over if he does not have a right foot. Major upgrade on Dow and E Curnow

Pretty sure he kicked one in the 2nd but there were some fumbles when he was cornered and the left was blocked.

Left definitely highly preferred. In saying that, we’ve seen some of the worst non-preferred efforts previously from Crippa.

Mistakes in back half can cost you a game….

Whereas a missed goal or a miskick in forward half is more forgiving as your team has some opportunity to defend and win the ball back…

I hope we give him some opportunities to play him up front …reckon he’d be an excitement machine in that role

Imagine H Charlie and kemp in f50 ☺️
A mobile, marking HFF…bring it

Watching the replay, and I'd assumed Charlie genuinely didn't kick the ball but it's pretty clear he did? Ball changed direction. Main reason I don't care is he just about deserves it for playing on, but it's pretty clear cut.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the replay, and I'd assumed Charlie genuinely didn't kick the ball but it's pretty clear he did? Ball changed direction. Main reason I don't care is he just about deserves it for playing on, but it's pretty clear cut.
It was such a tiny amount of contact, deserved the decision they went with really.

Which player has the biggest impact coming back in?

Weitering - Young is going ok but he is well behind him in quality. Weitering organises the defence and takes a lot of defensive marks. Probably has our biggest impact coming back.

Walsh - Walsh is a superstar hard running mid and that's what improves us in the middle. Carroll is doing a great Job but Walsh is a level above him.

Marchbank - IMO he is a player who was ready to tear the competition apart but again a setback has stalled his season. Kemp has been solid but Marchbank offers the same skillset and is much stronger in the air.

Martin - He's all class and we have struggled up forward at times. He's genuine quality. I think he also gives us a 3rd genuine marking target and that is what we need.

Motlop - I'm not convinced yet he's best 22 as he does not apply the greatest level of pressure but he is a class player. Keen to see what he can do after getting fitter and maturing.

E Hollands - So not sure what level of footballer he is. Big expectations of him coming in as a forward/mid and genuine half forward flanker. Still yet to prove himself.

It's interesting. We are 2.0 and we have so many players to potentially come into the side and improve us. Weitering, Walsh, Marchbank and Martin immediately improve us. Motlop and Hollands maybe. We have been winning with 4-6 players out and a couple of our very best players out so that's a good sign.

Which player has the biggest impact coming back in?

Weitering - Young is going ok but he is well behind him in quality. Weitering organises the defence and takes a lot of defensive marks. Probably has our biggest impact coming back.

Walsh - Walsh is a superstar hard running mid and that's what improves us in the middle. Carroll is doing a great Job but Walsh is a level above him.

Marchbank - IMO he is a player who was ready to tear the competition apart but again a setback has stalled his season. Kemp has been solid but Marchbank offers the same skillset and is much stronger in the air.

Martin - He's all class and we have struggled up forward at times. He's genuine quality. I think he also gives us a 3rd genuine marking target and that is what we need.

Motlop - I'm not convinced yet he's best 22 as he does not apply the greatest level of pressure but he is a class player. Keen to see what he can do after getting fitter and maturing.

E Hollands - So not sure what level of footballer he is. Big expectations of him coming in as a forward/mid and genuine half forward flanker. Still yet to prove himself.

It's interesting. We are 2.0 and we have so many players to potentially come into the side and improve us. Weitering, Walsh, Marchbank and Martin immediately improve us. Motlop and Hollands maybe. We have been winning with 4-6 players out and a couple of our very best players out so that's a good sign.

Weitering is the most important player at the CFC imo. Irreplaceable.

ok, thanks for that - can you tell me your thoughts as to why umpires as a group might choose to deliberately "cheat" when officiating richmond games?

I don't think it's cheating, but sometimes I do wonder if they have subconscious or conscious bias like regular fans.

If you look at the WB 2016 and RFC 2017 GFs they both had good runs with umpiring to some extent and were the feel good stories of the year with every neutral wanting them to win.

After that I wonder if it's a bit of tall poppy syndrome? As objectively as I can observe I do think that umpires give Dusty less prior opportunity when tackled and Lynch seems to get a fair few arm chops and over shoulder contact which is overlooked but we're on the slide now and Lynch got a couple of cheap ones on Thursday night.

What do you think? Are you convinced that the umpiring cohort is perfectly unbiased?

I don't think it's cheating, but sometimes I do wonder if they have subconscious or conscious bias like regular fans.

If you look at the WB 2016 and RFC 2017 GFs they both had good runs with umpiring to some extent and were the feel good stories of the year with every neutral wanting them to win.

After that I wonder if it's a bit of tall poppy syndrome? As objectively as I can observe I do think that umpires give Dusty less prior opportunity when tackled and Lynch seems to get a fair few arm chops and over shoulder contact which is overlooked but we're on the slide now and Lynch got a couple of cheap ones on Thursday night.

What do you think? Are you convinced that the umpiring cohort is perfectly unbiased?
if there is unconscious bias, there's nothing that can be done about it other than umpire education - the problem is, every club has a cohort of supporters (yours is clearly the largest in recorded history) that thinks the umpires are against them - hawthorn didn't have this size issue throughout its threepeat, neither did geelong - carlton has a number of supporters who think we are the victims of some sort of umpiring conspiracy but again, it's nothing like the crazy stuff on your board - that groupie poster is obsessed - I won't bother asking how you won those 3 flags with the umpires against you as I imagine like a lot of richmond supporters you might claim that you had to be so magnificent in order to beat the umpires as well as the opposition - in conclusion I just can't believe that so many umpires have this bias towards richmond, unconscious or otherwise........

if there is unconscious bias, there's nothing that can be done about it other than umpire education - the problem is, every club has a cohort of supporters (yours is clearly the largest in recorded history) that thinks the umpires are against them - hawthorn didn't have this size issue throughout its threepeat, neither did geelong - carlton has a number of supporters who think we are the victims of some sort of umpiring conspiracy but again, it's nothing like the crazy stuff on your board - that groupie poster is obsessed - I won't bother asking how you won those 3 flags with the umpires against you as I imagine like a lot of richmond supporters you might claim that you had to be so magnificent in order to beat the umpires as well as the opposition - in conclusion I just can't believe that so many umpires have this bias towards richmond, unconscious or otherwise........

Fair enough

As for the flags I just think we had a combination of good players, good coaching and a good game plan at the time. Guys like Dusty, Grimes, Rance, Jack and Cotchin, then Lynch, and a whole bunch of adequate role players in an era with the lowest average skill level across the league (I don't think Australia has the talent or ability to find the talent to field 18 good AFL teams and the expansion has been to the detriment of the sport/spectacle).

Some said we had a good injury run in 2017 but that wasn't the case in 19-20.

Some said we got looked after by the umps, which I don't believe for 19-20 given the differential - can argue some frees are better than others but if you're getting looked after it would stand to reason that you have a surplus.

Some said it was all the MCG games - clearly not given the 2020 games mostly being in other states.

I don't personally think there's any conspiracy of umpires vs RFC, but like I said I do wonder if there's some subconscious tall poppy bias at times.

Fair enough

As for the flags I just think we had a combination of good players, good coaching and a good game plan at the time. Guys like Dusty, Grimes, Rance, Jack and Cotchin, then Lynch, and a whole bunch of adequate role players in an era with the lowest average skill level across the league (I don't think Australia has the talent or ability to find the talent to field 18 good AFL teams and the expansion has been to the detriment of the sport/spectacle).

Some said we had a good injury run in 2017 but that wasn't the case in 19-20.

Some said we got looked after by the umps, which I don't believe for 19-20 given the differential - can argue some frees are better than others but if you're getting looked after it would stand to reason that you have a surplus.

Some said it was all the MCG games - clearly not given the 2020 games mostly being in other states.

I don't personally think there's any conspiracy of umpires vs RFC, but like I said I do wonder if there's some subconscious tall poppy bias at times.
ok - I guess it goes back to my original curiosity on how anyone could cope on your board where (and I'm serious here) most of the posters simply won't accept that you are ever beaten fair & square - it's no longer a supporter forum, more a bunch of blaming, whingeing victims - and they really do think there is a conspiracy within the afl to have particular teams win - unreal, ok, thanks, all the best......

ok - I guess it goes back to my original curiosity on how anyone could cope on your board where (and I'm serious here) most of the posters simply won't accept that you are ever beaten fair & square - it's no longer a supporter forum, more a bunch of blaming, whingeing victims - and they really do think there is a conspiracy within the afl to have particular teams win - unreal, ok, thanks, all the best......

Well we lost 3 key players and had a reduced bench but that's hardly the Blue's fault lol. So yeah we lost fair and square.

I don't bother with the RFC section as much for the same reason. I love my club but I can't stand victim cards.

Back