Autopsy 2023 Rd 23 Blues win by 4 in heartstopper. We're playing finals baby!

Who played well for the Blues in Round 23 vs the Suns?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I did not notice the AFL World critiquing Collingwood last year for giving up big leads....just fawning over Macrae and the pie players.
We have won 9 in a row. We were sore after the most physical game of the season. We were depleted to the point where for 20 minutes Hewitt was our only starting midfielder. We missed Fogarty for forward pressure & Mcgovern in defence and for launching attacks.
The personel inclusions will fix the issues brought up by these arm chair geniuses. It is unfortunate that they (Coyne & Saba) do not have the guts to run the with the line that if Carlton are winning: sore, injured, lacking initial intensity and transition ability, they will be a premiership threat once the players that solve these issues return. The motivation here is that anti-carlton perspectives drives clicks and likes, our own supporters are so traumatised by the past they can not embrace our status as a top side or most likely the rest of the AFL has a deep seated need to resent our success by predicting finals doom and placing the bar so high that even a prelim appearance will result in an "I told you so" from these types instead of acknowledging that Carlton 2023 is the only bottom 4 to top 4 rise from Round 13 in VFL/AFL history
I love how up and about you are now Jezz - it's so good to see mate. Confidence in your team/club is a wonderful wonderful thing & seeing so many baggers this pumped and up & about really hits home to me that there's a whole generation of Baggers (my sons included) who've never had this feeling of actually being able to be proud and happy and confident.

We all love Charlie. One cannot unlove Charlie. But FMD if Martin hasn’t become one of my favorite players. Just love what he does, week in week out. Can’t wait to see what he does in finals.
One of for sure.
I have quite a list

Coaches' Votes

10 - Charlie Curnow (CARL)
7 -
David Swallow (GCFC)
5 - Jacob Weitering (CARL)
5 -
Sam Flanders (GCFC)
2 - Nicholas Newman (CARL)
1 -
Touk Miller (GCFC)

I’ve just re watched McKay’s totally inexcusable TWO misses close to goal. I have to be careful what I say lest a mod bans me. But those misses are completely unacceptable and it’s not as if it hasn’t happened many times before.
Imagine what coaches of yore, like Barassi and Walls, would’ve said to him behind closed doors!
I’m genuinely concerned that he is psychologically unsuited to playing pressure filled AFL football. Personally I’d trade him. We‘d get a great return for him.

I’ve just re watched McKay’s totally inexcusable TWO misses close to goal. I have to be careful what I say lest a mod bans me. But those misses are completely unacceptable and it’s not as if it hasn’t happened many times before.
Imagine what coaches of yore, like Barassi and Walls, would’ve said to him behind closed doors!
I’m genuinely concerned that he is psychologically unsuited to playing pressure filled AFL football. Personally I’d trade him. We‘d get a great return for him.
Nah Mate.

Swans would actually be satisfied they nullified our stars.

Walsh 28, Hewett 25, Cerra 24, Cripps 21. None of our prime movers had massive games, those numbers are all about average or a little less than. Docherty 21, often gets 30 plus in the wing role.

Charlie 1 goal. Owies 1 goal. Fogarty, McKay, Motlop 0 goals.

Swans would have looked at that before the game and taken it thinking that would get them the win.

A lot of the team stats were extremely even.

Where the game was won IMO is here.

Acres 26 disposals, 1 goal, heaps of defensive work. Newman 23 disposals 5 marks. Cottrell 17 and 2. McGovern 6 marks. Marchbank 6 marks, Weitering 6 marks, Kemp 4 marks.

Curnow 6 marks, Martin 5 Marks.

IMO they played well and we were a little down. With a lot of players coming back from injuries and then the end of season bye this first game was a tough one to get through. Hopefully things are on the up from here and we can regain a bit more midfield dominance and pick up in the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans would actually be satisfied they nullified our stars.

Walsh 28, Hewett 25, Cerra 24, Cripps 21. None of our prime movers had massive games, those numbers are all about average or a little less than. Docherty 21, often gets 30 plus in the wing role.

Charlie 1 goal. Owies 1 goal. Fogarty, McKay, Motlop 0 goals.

Swans would have looked at that before the game and taken it thinking that would get them the win.

A lot of the team stats were extremely even.

Where the game was won IMO is here.

Acres 26 disposals, 1 goal, heaps of defensive work. Newman 23 disposals 5 marks. Cottrell 17 and 2. McGovern 6 marks. Marchbank 6 marks, Weitering 6 marks, Kemp 4 marks.

Curnow 6 marks, Martin 5 Marks.

IMO they played well and we were a little down. With a lot of players coming back from injuries and then the end of season bye this first game was a tough one to get through. Hopefully things are on the up from here and we can regain a bit more midfield dominance and pick up in the forward line.

Again I just don’t think this a realistic or fair assessment of the games Walsh and Cerra played. Both received votes whilst none of Sydney’s inside mids did. Cripps was down as he was injured and heavily tagged. Hewett was pretty solid.

Ironically McGovern, Kemp and Newman all made individual mistakes that cost us goals which in a finals game kept the score artificially close. I felt like we have the game on our terms for most of the night until McKay came off injured.

I think you are overanalysing it. We played well.

I guess it is understandable that many posters on the forum thought that it would be a fairly easy win against Sydney - because 'reasons' and 'expectations'. There is nothing 'easy' about a final and Sydney are always up for the contest - and they showed it.

Voss pretty emphatic about how the team won the game - it was the system in teh first half and what he described as 'heart' in the second half. So he pretty much laid it our for the team after the game - worth watching I dont have a link.

The system broke down when Harry went off.
The 'heart' came from gut-running Cottrell/Acres and Walsh in particular.

but the 'system' relies on every player doing the right thing at the right time and winning more one one-on-ones than losing them. There were standout efforts all over the park from pretty much every player- but Weitering and Saad in defense were particularly noteworthy. Inexplicable brain farts from kick-ins gifted Sydney 3 goals and Kemp literally handed the ball over to Sydney on teh goal line- these were examples of players cracking under pressure in my book - hopefully, there is no repeat- but the kick ins need fixing and fixing fast - because these efforts put Sydney back in the game. Harry's second miss ( I excuse the first as one of those things) came at a bad time- as it looked like Sydney were cooked - instead -it ended up being a goal at the other end. Credit to teh team for not dropping their heads and more importantly being able to play out a game sans a key component in Harry.

The midfield lost the first quarter and smashed them in the second. Walsh/Cerra are coming back from long layoffs and Cripps is playing well for as long as the jab to his ribs lasts.

Finals is as much about endurance as anything else - most players are carrying soreness.

Tough test this week against teh Demons - both sides missing key parts of their structures - that is the bad news. the good news is Harry and Martin will be available if the team manages to beat Melbourne - and in my book that will boil down to stopping two players Gawn and Petracca.

bu the 'system' relies on every player doing the right thing at the right time and winning more one on ones than losing them. Ther e were standout efforts all over the park from pretty much every player- but Weitering and Saad in defense were particularly noteworthy. Inexpolicable brain farts from kick ins gifted Sydney 3 goals and Kemp literally handed the ball over to Sydney on teh goal line- these were examples of players cracking under pressure in my book - hopefully there is no repeat- but the kick ins need fixing and fixing fast - because these efforts put Sydney back in the game. Harry's second miss ( I excuse the first as one of those things) came at a bad time- as it looked like Sydney were cooked - instead -it ended up being a goal at the other end. Credit to teh team for not dropping their heads and more importantly being able to play out a game sans a key component in Harry.

Good post.
2 things, our kick-ins gifted the Swans 4 goals, not 3, and then the Kemp stuff up. So we gifted them 5 out of their 9 goals.

The other thing is after H's 2nd miss (which was terrible, and I think would have blown the game open), we had the next 3 inside 50's. Then the Swans got a point from a long range shot against the play. Then we stuffed up the kick-in.

Good post.
2 things, our kick-ins gifted the Swans 4 goals, not 3, and then the Kemp stuff up. So we gifted them 5 out of their 9 goals.

The other thing is after H's 2nd miss (which was terrible, and I think would have blown the game open), we had the next 3 inside 50's. Then the Swans got a point from a long range shot against the play. Then we stuffed up the kick-in.

The kick ins are a lottery with Carlton - one week they work a treat and the next week they are diabolically poor - maybe tired legs kick in, certainly the second half predictable down the boundary to no one - was well and truly on display - maybe they got scarred and scared by the turnovers created when they tried a centering kick- but centering kicks are only good if the players have manufactured clear marking space- and that is all about running and running - from the defensive structure Kemp/McGovern in particular have to be able to take teh occasional first receive to advantage. Cant rely on Saad and or Cincotta running it out all teh time - but yeah my head drops when i see Newman taking and making the same kick over and over again to the boundary - especially when Harry was out . TDK managed a couple of marks in play - it would be handy if Pittonet was able to grab the occasional high ball - aginst Melbourne- Gawn is looking really dangerous as far as this goes.

The kick ins are a lottery with Carlton - one week they work a treat and the next week they are diabolically poor - maybe tired legs kick in, certainly the second half predictable down the boundary to no one - was well and truly on display - maybe they got scarred and scared by the turnovers created when they tried a centering kick- but centering kicks are only good if the players have manufactured clear marking space- and that is all about running and running - from the defensive structure Kemp/McGovern in particular have to be able to take teh occasional first receive to advantage. Cant rely on Saad and or Cincotta running it out all teh time - but yeah my head drops when i see Newman taking and making the same kick over and over again to the boundary - especially when Harry was out . TDK managed a couple of marks in play - it would be handy if Pittonet was able to grab the occasional high ball - aginst Melbourne- Gawn is looking really dangerous as far as this goes.
Newman botched one early, reckon he got spooked after that. It was one of his not-good-kicking games. Was great defensively though.

I think generally our kick-ins have been good since we turned our form around. We would certainly want to be better this week.

Fisher had been doing kick-ins the past month he'd been in the side, so with him out, it was back to Newy & Gov. Hope they sort it out v Melb.

Good post.

Weiters dropped mark that rolled through Martins legs is a 6th gifted goal. With 30 seconds to go and the team up 12 points a punch OOB was the sensible play.

Back